Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Moose in the Room - Sarah Palin & her religion

Options
  • 12-09-2008 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I thought it was very curious how Sarah Palin clarified her comments on Iraq being 'Gods War' in the ABC Interview. Those comments in tandem with revisting the recent video of the speech [clip below] show she basically said she didn't know if it was Gods war, as she could not presume to know Gods will, but that she prays that it is Gods war.

Sarah Palin, left Catholicism to be reborn into the Church you find her
    addressing in this video (the full address is easy to find on youtube) in 2002.

The group she is addressing are young evangelicals, styled as "Joel's Army" who are going out to battle demonic forces, prior to the end times & the rapture.

In Part 2 of the video, the church's Pastor standing with Plain on the stage thanks her for campaigning for drilling in Alaska. His reason - Its Gods plan as Armageddon is coming and Alaska will be one of only 2 states out of the 50 in the Union that will survive as a refuge for "the saved" from other states.

Given McCains age, and the very real possibility if he were elected, he may die in office and Palin become Commander in Chief, how fit is she for this position ?

Given the evidence that she may believe she is in a role prophesised by God ( part 2 of the video has the Pastor make reference to Plains role as prophesised by God, she stands beside not disagreeing).

Furthermore her church seems to view the Middle East conflict as part of the "end times" prior to the rapture and indeed Sarah Palin seems to be preparing for the "end times" already as the Pastor comments (again, she doesn't disagree).

Is this person we would be happy with their finger on the nuclear trigger facing down Iran ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I don't think many people are happy with the image of her having her finger on the trigger, this cult stuff (and it seems to be very much a doomsday cult to me) is just the icing on the cake. Interesting though that Romney's mormonism was and is seen as a barrier to his election, whereas this doesn't seem to have the same affect on republicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

I don't think many people are happy with the image of her having her finger on the trigger, this cult stuff (and it seems to be very much a doomsday cult to me) is just the icing on the cake. Interesting though that Romney's mormonism was and is seen as a barrier to his election, whereas this doesn't seem to have the same affect on republicans.

I can't believe I didn't watch Part 2 of it until tonight (see below). He actually thanks her for her pro-drilling policy, as they will need all the extra oil after Armageddon, when Alaska is "the last refuge" for the saved. She just stands there nodding her head.

No wonder she doesn't care about global warming, we're all going to be dead anyway .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

1 year ago I reviewed the all the candidates in both parties and decided that John McCain was the best of the bunch. I didn't always agree on every issue but I could see he had a plan that had potential. Yes he supported the war (just as I did before it began) but he completely disagreed with the way the neo-cons went about planning and executing the war. He was moderate and secular and disliked by the neo-cons and religious right.

Unfortunately since then he has leaned so far to the right he is horizontal, he has pandered to almost every core tenet of the neo-cons and religious right and nominating Palin was the straw that broke the donkeys back. There is no way I could support him now knowing that she is a missed heart beat from the presidency. I hope the democratic women voters that appear to be enamoured with her atm take a good hard look at her positions on almost everything and realise she is the antipathy of Clinton.

Edit: I supported the war because I bought into the WMD story and the Al-Qaeda connection. (I was a bit naive and didn't know much about the ME or Islam back then)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

BenjAii wrote: »

Sarah Palin, left Catholicism to be reborn into the Church you find her
    addressing in this video (the full address is easy to find on youtube) in 2002.

It's worth noting that Sarah Palin has actually left this church. Sarah Palins family joined the Wassilla Assembly of God,the church featured in the youtube clip above, when she was 4 years old .Six years ago Sarah Palin left it in favour of a non pentecostal,non denomonational Christian church that's focused on more traditional biblical teachings. She has said in interviews that she does not consider herself a Pentecostal anymore. Given the strength of her faith the act of leaving the church she was brought up in couldn't have been a decision she took lightly and is somewhat taken to be a denouncement of the more ridiculous aspects integral in the faith of that Church.

What she's doing addressing that assembly at all is pretty strange however!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

BenjAii wrote: »
    The group she is addressing are young evangelicals, styled as "Joel's Army" who are going out to battle demonic forces, prior to the end times & the rapture.
    Dumbledore's Joel's Palin's Army? I wonder where she hides her wand? Oh, I know, it looks like a lipstick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

chilly wrote: »
    It's worth noting that Sarah Palin has actually left this church.

That video is from June 2008 and she spent most of her life in that church. Also while she has changed churches she still helps out at that one from time to time.

Can watch all the videos here.
    http://www.wasillaag.net/all.html

This post has been deleted.

Full timeline here with links.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Wright_controversy

chilly wrote: »
    It's worth noting that Sarah Palin has actually left this church.

To be honest, I've seen conflicting information about that on the internet. Apparently the Church she now attends is from the same denomination.

That aside, its the evidence of the video that is compelling. You would be hard pressed watching to say this is someone who has put those views that mainstream Pentecostalism regards as wacky behind them.

The Pastor says God is prophesying her work & that part of that is her support for drilling in Alaska, so that Alaska has the extra oil to support all the coming refugees from Armageddon when Alaska is a 'refuge state'.

It does beg question if she is praying Iraq is Gods war (her admission on the ABC interview) - what does she think Gods war is ?

Can someone who views the middle east as the enactment of the end times before Armageddon and the return of Jesus really be fit to be Commander in Chief of the US Army ?

I would suggest she is too dangerous to be allowed in that role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Thaedydal wrote: »

what did matt damon say , i dont have broadband

btw , what do theese hollywood types think they are doing , dont they know that hollywood support of a democratic canditate does nothing only rally the republican base , hollywood is the democratic partys kryptonite

irish_bob wrote: »
    what did matt damon say , i dont have broadband

He is taking about the second moose in the room. Basically the chances of McCain not surviving his first term and Palin becoming president. Says it is basically a bad disney movie of "Hockey mom facing down putin".

Unless your a conservative, in which case I believe he said "Maaatttt Daaamoonn". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Thaedydal wrote: »

Well Done Matt!
    Palin hasn't a clue about geo-politics, science or anything that would require a modicum of intelligence. It would be a disaster if she were to be in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

See "Evangelicals"

See "Republicans"

See "Jesus Camp"

Ladies and Gentleman: The Republican Party.

This is an interesting preview of a video, "Sarah Palin's Demon Haunted Churches".

There are times in it the congregation look like they are on drugs. I still think the most worrying thing in all of this is their belief that the enemies of the children of Israel must be crushed before Armageddon, which they appear to think is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

What Nutjobs. This kind of extremism really has no place near any kind of political leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I presume you mean that Sarah Palin’s ‘cult’ ‘doesn't seem to have the same affect on Republicans.’ What I find more interesting is the fact that Romney’s Mormon faith appears to have had such an effect on the Democrats, yet the same party has ignored the hideous ‘cult’ to which Obama and family belonged. The Obamas were married in this church by the raving pastor Rev. Wright, who also baptised their children.

Apparently Palin and Obama have both abandoned their respective ‘cults’, Obama as recently as the summer of 2008. It seems patently obvious that Obama only publicly condemned this man because of the media attention during his presidential campaign, which caused his support to drop.

If Obama is as clever as they say he is, how come he wasn’t capable of making a shrewd assessment of this nut case whom he called his ‘spiritual leader’? He was after all Obama's pastor for twenty years.

And before the misappropriated term ‘whataboutery’ gets flung in here, it is totally hypocritical and un-Democratic to single out Palin’s religion (however crazy), while denying discussion on that of Obama, which is equally hideous.

The Raven. wrote: »
    The Obamas were married in this church by the raving pastor Rev. Wright, who also baptised their children.

Apart from Wright I haven't seen anything about the church Obama used to belong to. Do you have a link to more details on it? Would be interested to read.

And before the misappropriated term ‘whataboutery’ gets flung in here, it is totally hypocritical and un-Democratic to single out Palin’s religion (however crazy), while denying discussion on that of Obama, which is equally hideous.

I think it's only legitimate to ask questions of them both, after all it is the politicians who keep wearing their religious beliefs on their sleeves.

Obama has been open about Pastor Wright, saying that when he was younger he found many of his teaching on empowerment and anti-racism an inspiration. There is no doubt that many people would regard Pastor Wright's religious thinking as politicised, and furthermore that his political leaning is left-wing.

However objectionable those on the Right find these opinions, thats what they are, OPINIONS, I don't think Pastor Wright is claiming they are the received Word of God and therefore 100% true.

Thats the difference with Sarah Palins church. They literally think their beliefs are absolutely 100% true and a factual representation of reality.

Thus the earth was created a few thousand years ago, by a divine being, who very soon is going to kill most people on earth (who deserve this & are gong to burn in hell). But Alaska thanks to its turning out of the demons and witchcraft will be a refuge state, and Sarah Palin is prophesied by God to start drilling for oil to help deal with "thousands of saved" who are coming to Alaska in this soon to be Armageddon. Meanwhile we must all pray the Iraq War is Gods war and thus presumably part of this coming Armageddon.

Obama claims Wright as a Mentor and its certainly apt to ask how much Wrights opinions influenced him.

Sarah Palin church is a different matter, they all think this is 100% true. In both segments of the video posted here, she does very little to suggest she disagrees with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

I presume you mean that Sarah Palin’s ‘cult’ ‘doesn't seem to have the same affect on Republicans.’ What I find more interesting is the fact that Romney’s Mormon faith appears to have had such an effect on the Democrats, yet the same party has ignored the hideous ‘cult’ to which Obama and family belonged.

Hey genius, you do know that Romney was running for the Republican ticket. And his Mormonism, an obscure section of Christianity, was the very reason he did not win the republican nomination. Huckabee and the rest of the religious bigots launched attack campaigns against Romney and his religion. One group of crazy religious republicans pitted against another.

John McCain, good guy that I believe he is, wanted Romney to be his VP because he has proven himself to be an excellent legislator and administrator. McCain buckled under republican party pressure to nominate someone who would not lose the key Southern states for him. Southern Baptists believing that Romney and his ilk will burn in hell for eternity being the main risk there.

As an alternative he wanted Tom Ridge or Joe Lieberman, but as both of these men support a woman's right to choose they were judged to be too risky.

They felt they needed a book banning, creationism teaching, religious fool to show their own supporters that they are just as ignorant as they are.

What is amazing is that it appears to have been a shrewd political move. Who'd a thunk it?

• Advertisement

CPT. SURF wrote: »
    Hey genius, you do know that Romney was running for the Republican ticket. And his Mormonism, an obscure section of Christianity, was the very reason he did not win the republican nomination. Huckabee and the rest of the religious bigots launched attack campaigns against Romney and his religion. One group of crazy religious republicans pitted against another.

John McCain, good guy that I believe he is, wanted Romney to be his VP because he has proven himself to be an excellent legislator and administrator. McCain buckled under republican party pressure to nominate someone who would not lose the key Southern states for him. Southern Baptists believing that Romney and his ilk will burn in hell for eternity being the main risk there.

As an alternative he wanted Tom Ridge or Joe Lieberman, but as both of these men support a woman's right to choose they were judged to be too risky.

They felt they needed a book banning, creationism teaching, religious fool to show their own supporters that they are just as ignorant as they are.

What is amazing is that it appears to have been a shrewd political move. Who'd a thunk it?

its quite well known that mc cain doesnt like romney ,as regards liberman , well 1st of all there is no bigger hawk in washington than joe lieberman , hes all for bombing iran as israel is his main priority , always has been , 2ndly , his religon would have alienated the christian right even further from mc cain

,as regards liberman , well 1st of all there is no bigger hawk in washington than joe lieberman , hes all for bombing iran as israel is his main priority , always has been , 2ndly , his religon would have alienated the christian right even further from mc cain

You are saying what I said. Your grammar is headache inducing though.

Regarding Palin, I must admit I initially thought it was a terrible choice for McCain. I have never been more wrong about anything; they absolutely love her!

We might as well go all the way and just nominate a preacher to run for President. I really would not be surprised if that happened in '12. Sure Huckabee was basically a preacher for all intents and purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

same party has ignored the hideous ‘cult’ to which Obama and family belonged. The Obamas were married in this church by the raving pastor Rev. Wright, who also baptised their children.

Obama's church has nothing to answer for. Most of the supposed controversy surrounding Wright amounts to a dislike for calling a spade a spade in relation to racism and injustice in the US. The only genuinely off-the-wall statement I've read from Wright is that HIV was created as a racist virus, and he never propounded that notion in church. The Trinity church is anti-racist, anti-separatist, and doesn't seem to diverge much from the liberation-theology-lite version of catholicism. There's nothing cultish about it.

alastair wrote: »
    Obama's church has nothing to answer for. Most of the supposed controversy surrounding Wright amounts to a dislike for calling a spade a spade in relation to racism and injustice in the US. The only genuinely off-the-wall statement I've read from Wright is that HIV was created as a racist virus, and he never propounded that notion in church. The Trinity church is anti-racist, anti-separatist, and doesn't seem to diverge much from the liberation-theology-lite version of catholicism. There's nothing cultish about it.

agreed , reverend wrights only crime was spelling out a few home truths

You are saying what I said. Your grammar is headache inducing though.

Regarding Palin, I must admit I initially thought it was a terrible choice for McCain. I have never been more wrong about anything; they absolutely love her!

We might as well go all the way and just nominate a preacher to run for President. I really would not be surprised if that happened in '12. Sure Huckabee was basically a preacher for all intents and purposes.

ah you poor thing , take a few solphadine and have a nice lie down

ah you poor thing , take a few solphadine and have a nice lie down

What? No response to what I said, just an idiotic comment. You made one mistake though, you forgot that are just some Internet dummy called "Irish Bob" and I do not care if you make a snide comment. By the way I am perfectly relaxed, much more so than you I can GUARANTEE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

My respect for Matt Damon just sky rocketed after viewing that vid. Wonder if there will be back lash for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont think Damon said anything there we didn't already know. He's just puppeting it along in digestable koolaid format.

Don't worry though I get the funny suspicion Biden is in his underground batcave preparing how he is planning to slam dunk Palin at the debates.

What? No response to what I said, just an idiotic comment. You made one mistake though, you forgot that are just some Internet dummy called "Irish Bob" and I do not care if you make a snide comment. By the way I am perfectly relaxed, much more so than you I can GUARANTEE

whats good for the goose is good for the gander , one snide comment deserves another afterall

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Could you two get a room? Back on topic, please.

Advertisement