Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone bb vs O2?

Options
  • 12-09-2008 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Well since I got declined by vodafone for their mobile bb (basically because im a student:rolleyes:) im thinking about going with 02. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the two providers. Are they much of a muchness or would vodafones coverage be alot stronger than 02s?

Im in an area where im just on the edge of their coverage maps so id usually pick up a signal. At first I didnt think it would work untill a friend brought his vodafone modem out to my house and it worked fairly fast.Ill also be in college which im sure will have a strong signal.

02s is cheaper and they have a bigger monthly limit.Also two different modems??

Anyways if anyone can give me their thoughts on which would be better or their experiences with either (speed,customer service etc )it would great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

O2 coverage >> vodafone coverage in my opinion.
    Also outside of 3G coverage areas O2 has a quicker default speed (EDGE vs GPRS)
    Also O2 are doing a student special for €14/month. Have a look in the Bargain Alerts forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Well I went into carphone warehouse (after he said my bank statement was to old even though i got it two weeks ago) I asked them about the student deal. He didnt know anything about it and said it must be just a direct O2 offer??

Is he right in that it has to be an 02 shop? From what I read it was any O2 retailer? Anyone any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

I signed up for it in the O2 shop on grafton st. You'll need proof of address and your student card or a letter from the college. It's only available in O2 shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

OP, the only way you'll really know whether O2 is any good is to sign up for them and try it out for yourself. It really does vary. I get good enough speeds where I am. The other night I was in my aunt's house that's about 10 miles from my house and could only get EDGE and it was very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

14 Day money back guarantee still apply to o2 mobile broadband connections?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's currently a 30 day free return peroid, I think.

Well to complicate matters, that is a promotion that was to end on September 1 2008 according to the purchase page on 02.ie, but in the Terms it says the promotion is extended to 31st of March 2009.

Honestly I don't know what the difference means, just that I ordered mine before Sept. 1st so I'm covered in either case.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

I've used both O2 and Vodaphone modems/data connections
    My impressions as:

In terms of reliability - Vodafone is more likely to give you a stable connection first time round
    O2 - is generally faster - once you get that connection up and running.

Just as an aside - my impressions are that O2 are actively trying to improve their network - in rural areas especially.
    That said iphones etc. may mean that you are competing with more devices on the O2 network in the long run.

Both offerings are no substitute for real broadband but very useful for their portability.
    My advice would be go with the cheapest (assuming that you have 3G coverage) - with the proviso that if you are intending being in non-3G areas frequently O2 is really the only option (with EDGE coverage - being pretty standard at this stage).

Advertisement