Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beer Recommendations Thread

Options
  • 12-09-2008 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

So following on from the general chat we've been having I thought it might be any idea to have thread where people can post up their favourite tipple, whether it be local or national.

My tip for anyone out west is to go visit the Bootleg Brewery in Margaret River. They have 'Raging Bull' that is 7.1% and blew the feckin head of me when I had it! Lovely stuff though.

http://www.bootlegbrewery.com.au/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Favourite Tipple:
    Coopers Pale Ale

Also enjoy:
    Coopers vintage
    Crackenback
    Boags

Despise:
    VB
    Carlton

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Great idea for a thread. A big fan of Coopers Pale Ale myself, along with the Little Creatures Pale Ale. I like trying all the smaller microbrewery stuff here in Victoria and really like the Mountain Goat range http://www.goatbeer.com.au/ who are based in Richmond in Melbourne along with most of the stuff from the Grand Ridge crowd http://www.grand-ridge.com.au/flash.asp who are based out in the Yarra Valley. Also, the Bohemian Pilsner deserves a mention, although I don't know where they're based!

Edit: Just found out that Bohemian is brewed by Matilda Bay who are based out in WA, so there's lots of good beer coming out of there as they also make Beez Neez which is another great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Not a huge fan of beer, but Coopers Pale is really good,

More of a cider man myself, and cider in Aus is crap

Ciders:
    Strongbow - looks and tastes like a 3rd pint-piss, if male people will think you are gay. Readily available and easy to drink.

Mercury - Draught available in Tassie, decent enough, bottles available in some bottle shops, sweet and dry to be avoided at all costs, draught is okay, but Mercury Artistian is for the cider connaisseur (pure apples, as opposed to apple + pear)

Magners - same as at home, great stuff, but very expensive, was asked for $14 for one in sydney, while the Irish pub have it for $8.5

Bulmers - available on tap, very tasty and proper colour

Gaymers - yes despite the name this is in fact a decent cider, can be bought in dan murphys bottle shop. comes in a pint bottle.

More and more pubs in sydney have started to stock cider!

hussey wrote: »
    Gaymers -

Sounds like a slang name for Bulmers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Lager - Hahn Premium. Coopers pale ale is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Traq wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread. A big fan of Coopers Pale Ale myself, along with the Little Creatures Pale Ale. I like trying all the smaller microbrewery stuff here in Victoria and really like the Mountain Goat range http://www.goatbeer.com.au/ who are based in Richmond in Melbourne along with most of the stuff from the Grand Ridge crowd http://www.grand-ridge.com.au/flash.asp who are based out in the Yarra Valley. Also, the Bohemian Pilsner deserves a mention, although I don't know where they're based!

Edit: Just found out that Bohemian is brewed by Matilda Bay who are based out in WA, so there's lots of good beer coming out of there as they also make Beez Neez which is another great beer.

Spent a weekend at the Grand Ridge brewery last year. They have a guest house across the road. They have some lovely stuff. The Hatlifter stout is delish. And the Supershine is rocketfuel. About 11% I think.

Coopers Pale and Cascade Premium are probably my faves at the mo but I will admit to drinking VB, Draught etc fairly often. Sometimes it's just too hard to look past a slab for $30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

VB is the best!

also carlton draught and boags are pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

VB is the best!

also carlton draught and boags are pretty good

You dirty bogan you.

Was drinkin this on Friday -

feral_beer.gif

$6.50 a pint. Can't go wrong!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did the Speight's brewery tour in Dunedin last week, and had been sampling as many of their brews already on my travels. Think my favourite of theirs was between the Old Dark and Porter.

One to steer well clear of in NZ though would be Montieths Raddler, I think they tried to make it fruity or something, but it's just plain rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Coopers Pale Ale. Look like the winner.

Bluetongue and Resches aren't bad beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Coopers Pale Ale and Tooheys Extra Dry. If these beers were available on tap in Ireland, we'd all be alcoholics!!....ahem

Anybody in Sydney wanting to re-live their youth, the Porterhouse in Surry Hills do $5 pints of Bulmers.

I'd rather spend 6.50 on a decent pint of guinness!

pucan wrote: »
    I'd rather spend 6.50 on a decent pint of guinness!

The only 'decent' pint of Guinness you can get in Sydney is in the Welcome Hotel, Rozelle. Anywhere else you recommend?

Welcome Hotel, Rozelle.

Ha ha bang on. Keep it to yourself though?

I'm reposting something from another thread as it's appropriate for here. I'm sure everyone has discovered cheap ass wine in a box. Fantastic stuff!

From Wiki -
    Cheap cask wine is also known as "goon" in Australia and also New Zealand ("goon" is diminutive slang for flagon, the large bottles used before casks), and the bag alone known as a "goon sack", "goony bag" or "goon bag". The practice, usually by students, of consuming cask wine at parties is known as "gooning".

12768685.Oct13388tuckerandthegoonbag.JPG

The empty bag makes a great pillow too -

goonbag.jpg

It'll be dark day when I have to stoop to whatever level goon is on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Gooooooonnn Faaaaacccccee.

As I have said many any time the best ozzie beer was

Tooheys_Extra_Dry_P_largejp.jpg

Not sure if its still made. 6.5% of goodness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I was drinking redback the other night, was quite nice, not as rich as most wheat beers, and refreshing. Hangover was pleasant too, compared to my usual hangovers.

I was down in Melbourne for the International Rules the other week and had loads of 'Mountain Goat' beer. It seems to be a popular beer down there and rightly so. I had a look for it in the off licence the other night and no sign of it. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Despise:
    VB
    Carlton
    Are you serious?

My favorite would have to be Boags St George. So drinkable esp on a hot day. I think Crown Lager and Cascade would have to be the most overrated beers. There are so many lesser well known boutiquey kinds of beers brewed by micro breweries that are worth a taste. After being in Japan I got hooked on their beers such as Asahi, Suntoro and Kirin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye i like the tooheys New. Been know to drink "TED" too when its in front of me. Carlton cold is nice, Me uncle got me into it. was the first drink i had when i landed.

haha that goon is some stuff. cheap and alcoholic. perfect for house parties. ya see them all carryin a silver bag around with them here, like a colostomy bag.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    haha that goon is some stuff. cheap and alcoholic. perfect for house parties. ya see them all carryin a silver bag around with them here, like a colostomy bag.
    Been known to have resorted to Chateau Cardboard on many an occasion. Tough times but rehab worked wonders for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I have to admit, when I was in Australia a few years ago Coopers Pale Ale and Cascade Premium Lager in Tasmania were my favourites...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Slap that goon!!!

Been drinkin Platinum Blonde lately. I really nice beer.

Tried Carlton Blonde last night. Wasn't the best beer I have ever had but it bills itself as a low carb beer. Take note Xavi you fat bastid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SkYbUrNeR

Little Creatures Bright Ale is genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Gooooooonnn Faaaaacccccee.

As I have said many any time the best ozzie beer was

Tooheys_Extra_Dry_P_largejp.jpg

Not sure if its still made. 6.5% of goodness.

Good call man. Yeah it's still made alright, $21 for an eight pack, great beer. Another good beer if you want a pint is Bohemian, but not too many places stock it. Also if you're going for bottles a good lager is Chang, comes from Thailand, real tasty, 5%, not as gassy as alot of the Ozzie beers tend to be. Man all this beer talk is making me thirsty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm reposting something from another thread as it's appropriate for here. I'm sure everyone has discovered cheap ass wine in a box. Fantastic stuff!

No, not Goon, admitadly it is amazing stuff if you're watching your money, and it is just about drinkable if you get the white one - never go for red goon, but I just can't get over the writing on the box, "contains fish parts, nuts, milk". I mean at what stage from picking grapes to extracting the juice and letting it forment did someone decide "I know, bang a few cod, a packet of KP nuts and a pint of milk in there".

• Advertisement

Jesus lads, It's only Tuesday. Do ye want to drive a man off the rails altogether with all this talk of beer!

Advertisement