Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Cherrywood - how weatherproof is it?

Options
  • 12-09-2008 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Looking at buying some garden furniture thats made from Chinese Cherrywood (Prunus Pseudocerasus). How weatherproof is that in our climate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Well, the answer to my original query was not very well!

The top 'seat' panel of the bench has warped at one end as in this pic here

The slats are supposed to slot in to a groove in the end strip of timber where my hand is. I have tried using a glue rated for outdoor use but that won't hold it back in place. The whole thing is useless unless I can fix this panel somehow. Any suggestions as to how I can fix it??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hmm, not sure about the properties of Chinese Cherrywood, personally I've never come across or used it. It looks very similar to teak/Iroko in that picture (these two timbers being very good in external environments). Perhaps the furniture was/is in need of a few coats of outdoor furniture oil (you can get it in any DIY store in small or large drums).

As for the warped piece, well thats going to be hard to set right again! You should clean off all that glue for starters. Can the piece be forced back right even with some force? If it cant then theres nothing much you can do short of getting a new piece made for it. If you can force it back into place then a small tube of Gorilla glue and one of those cargo strap with the rachet thingy on them might pull it back into place while the glue sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

You should clean off all that glue for starters. Can the piece be forced back right even with some force? If it cant then theres nothing much you can do short of getting a new piece made for it. If you can force it back into place then a small tube of Gorilla glue and one of those cargo strap with the rachet thingy on them might pull it back into place while the glue sets.
    Yes - I tried exactly that last time with the rachet straps and this stuff
    It lasted for 6-8 weeks - at most. Is this glue the best I can use? Will changing to another type make any difference?
    Perhaps the furniture was/is in need of a few coats of outdoor furniture oil (you can get it in any DIY store in small or large drums).
    It got 2 x coats of sadolin classic...not sure if that was the right product...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

baguio wrote: »
    Yes - I tried exactly that last time with the rachet straps and this stuff
    It lasted for 6-8 weeks - at most. Is this glue the best I can use? Will changing to another type make any difference?
    It got 2 x coats of sadolin classic...not sure if that was the right product...?

You'll tried the clamp and glue then, well, it seems the warp on that piece is so bad that you're just not going to be able to hold it in place unless its pinned, or bolted etc and in this case you cant really do that. I'd be different if it was a long lenght that had a bow in it, there'd be a bit more give, but, with a short lenght, like what you'd find on a chair back its gonna be hard to 'undo' that warp once it has begun. You're only alternative, short of fixing an extra piece of timber across the back of the seat to act as a brace and tie the two uprights together is to have a replacement part made.

Sadolins classic is an exterior wood preservative alright, but for some reason appears to be more suited to exterior joinery, decking, fences etc. I dont see why it shouldnt have done the job on the seats. Perhaps given the nature of the wood, an oily wood like teak a few coats of special outdoor furniture oil, or something simple like teak or linseed oil might have been better suited.

Advertisement