Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FLASH! Charlie Gibson Interviews Palin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This post has been deleted.

Odd that I listened to that without managing to evoke any of the truly ridiculous nonsense you've come up with. I think they would call that differences of perception. I also have to say that is some very fine condescension. I'm guessing that you actually know as little about those people and how they think as I do. Much as some of your input on this thread has offered the occasional insight, your enthusiasm to pick a fight with anything and everything really does your case no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Martyr wrote: »
    Sounds like McCain when talking about the U.S Economy.

Lets just call it like it is. McCain is a liar.

Before peoples start going "Oh no he isn't", I cite the sex-ed for toddlers slur against Obama.

In his advert he tries to claim that Obama is for teaching sex education to toddlers. What he fails to point out about the bill that in fact it was teaching kids how to protect themselves against pedos and abuse.

It had nothing to do teaching full on sex education to small children.

He also neglected to mention that in the bill there is an opt-out option if parents feel their children shouldn't be taught the material. So even the full on sex-ed part is false.

So I am pretty sure McCain is not for child molestation, so the only other option is he is a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

How easy is it to kick out a vice president once elected?

It could be that the Republicans see the electoral wow-factor that Palin can bring but are not so dumb as to risk such a fruit cake being the automatic next in line to the presidency.

So, say she and McCain get elected is there a chance that they could then look for a way to have her removed from office almost immediately?

There is a precedent for this. Back in 1972 Richard Nixon won the election with the greatest landslide in American history. His running mate, as in 1968, was Spiro Agnew, a man who had had a similar rapid rise from being Baltimore county executive to Governor of Maryland to VP nominee in just six years. Sound familiar?

Many people carried placards saying "Spiro who?" and the Democrats ran TV commercials which just had the slogan "Spiro Agnew for Vice President" on the screen and the sound of somebody chuckling helplessly in the background. It then closed with the warning, "It would be funny if it wasn't so serious."

Following his re-election in 1972 Agnew came under investigation for criminal corruption charges and resigned the vice presidency. He was replaced by Gerald Ford. Then in 1974 Nixon had to resign because of the Watergate scandal and Ford became president. I believe he was the only one ever to become president without ever being on an election ticket.

I'm not suggesting there was a conspiracy to have Agnew elected and then removed. He was in office for five years after all. But given that it is possible to remove a VP, I wonder if anybody in the GOP has factored this into their plans this time round.

Gotta have a conspiracy theory somewhere. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It would appear to me that most posters have attempted to place the blame on either the Democrats or the Republicans for the housing bubble, which seems myopic and ethnocentric? Ireland had a housing bubble that became evident in the past couple of years, as it did for many countries around the world. How could real estate legislation and regulation in the USA (or related banking practices) account for the global housing bubble in Ireland, Britain, Australia, France, Spain, and China for example? See below Economist article dated 16 June 2005:

The global housing boom, Jun 16th 2005, From The Economist print edition

NEVER before have real house prices risen so fast, for so long, in so many countries. Property markets have been frothing from America, Britain and Australia to France, Spain and China. Rising property prices helped to prop up the world economy after the stockmarket bubble burst in 2000. What if the housing boom now turns to bust?

According to estimates by The Economist, the total value of residential property in developed economies rose by more than $30 trillion over the past five years, to over $70 trillion, an increase equivalent to 100% of those countries' combined GDPs. Not only does this dwarf any previous house-price boom, it is larger than the global stockmarket bubble in the late 1990s (an increase over five years of 80% of GDP) or America's stockmarket bubble in the late 1920s (55% of GDP). In other words, it looks like the biggest bubble in history. …

It would seem that the economic forces that impacted the housing market were global, not isolated to US real estate legislation and regulation (or related banking practices)?

Including this Economist article, I do remember reading many articles over the past 3 to 4 years from various sources that warned of runaway housing prices, not just in the US, but in other countries too, like Ireland.

My question is, who was minding the store in the US while all these articles were being published during recent years? Was everyone out to lunch? Did G.W. Bush, or anyone in his cabinet, or the US Congress read these articles that I also read?:rolleyes:

What has Sarah Palin offered in terms of economic policy intended to mitigate the impacts of the burst housing bubble in the US? Anything specific? Links? Or is she out to lunch too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Ahh - the Investor's Business Daily. Well known climate-change denial rag of the corporate 'free-market' right. They'll surely not be partisan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Sorry donnegalfella, but because your source is not a left-leaning publication or Obama loving media outlet... it holds absolutely no credibility in this forum. I guess you'll have to try harder. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

It would seem that the economic forces that impacted the housing market were global, not isolated to US real estate legislation and regulation (or related banking practices)?

Including this Economist article, I do remember reading many articles over the past 3 to 4 years from various sources that warned of runaway housing prices, not just in the US, but in other countries too, like Ireland.

My question is, who was minding the store in the US while all these articles were being published during recent years? Was everyone out to lunch? Did G.W. Bush, or anyone in his cabinet, or the US Congress read these articles that I also read?:rolleyes:

While its true lots of countries have had a housing bubble, what seems to be unique to America and the actual crux of the problem, is the amount of people who had access to mortgages that were not credit worthy.

You can argue all of America's economic growth this century has been based on every expanding credit. With the credit-worthy segment of the population tapped, there was nowhere else to go to continue this growth but start extending money to those unable to pay it back, and then try and make money from that.

Looking at it now its obvious its little more than a Ponzi scheme, but this bias in the economy is so widespread and systematc its pointless blaming it on party politics.

The truth is as dismal as the US economy has been for most people this century (no real income growth), it would only have appeared worse had the credit boom not happened.

It may just be dawning on Americans how truly dire their economic situation has become.

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Sorry donnegalfella, but because your source is not a left-leaning publication or Obama loving media outlet... it holds absolutely no credibility in this forum. I guess you'll have to try harder. :rolleyes:

I'd settle for a source that doesn't spend all of it's time calling for removal of all government regulation of the markets, and parroting the petro-corporation line on climate change. Some degree of credibility would be a charm.

• Advertisement

Facts?

'the Clinton administration, obsessed with multiculturalism'

'Clinton and his social engineers'

the Clinton administration was pushing Fannie and her brother Freddie Mac to buy more mortgages from low-income households

'The Clinton-era corruption, combined with unprecedented catering to affordable-housing lobbyists, resulted in today's nationalization of both Fannie and Freddie'

'Clinton's social experiment'

Pull the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Publications that deny climate change is happening tend to follow ideological rather than realistic editorial lines. Generally they are right wing and Republican.

So the crisis is Clintons fault despite being out of power for eight years?? What did Bush do to stop it?

It speaks to the credibility and motivations of the paper.

Would have thought this was obvious?

Ah, so - not about the 'facts' at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seanies32 wrote: »
    I'm seriously confused here.

If Carter was so wrong, why was the law not repealed or amended?

Why blame Carter for a wrong 30 years ago that could easily have been changed since?

Methinks, you're looking for somebody to blame and a law that worked ok for 20 odd years is now partly to blame for the last 10!

PS: Maybe the selfish manipulation of laws like that in the last 8 years has contributed to the sub prime crisis. Or was this crisis always there, but it has suddenly just became a major issue?

Any chance of answering Questions 1 and 2?

Also, was the bill backed by both Houses when it was changed?
    Did it get bipartisan support in both Houses?

When was the legislation introduced or rules relaxed, to allow for mortgage backed securities being sold as investments?

If it was made during the Clinton era, was any attempt made to reverse the changes, or was the law further relaxed?

How exactly did the bill force banks to lend to higher risk categories and what where the penalties if they didn't?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

There are no facts in that op-ed piece, bar the fact that Clinton associates worked for FNMA over the years. Nothing to suggest that Clinton's policies are as described, or in any way responsible for the mortgage crisis.

Maybe you could elucidate what facts it contains?

• Advertisement

Yes indeed - and they'll also note the absence of your supposed 'facts' in the article, and heapings of partisan punditry in their stead.

I'm deflecting nothing - I'm pointing out that the cupboard is bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sorry, thought you would have had the information handy!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I noticed you didn't address my points on the feds 11 times cutting interest rates, not the halving of refused mortgage applications, both happening after 2001. You can say it started in 1997 and I can say it started in 2001, but in the end the facts show that it was under Bush's watch that the bubble started and burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

so just how long has it been since charlie gibson or sarah palin was mentioned in this thread?

come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

donegalfella, brianthebard and alastair made perfectly good points against your fantasy statements..and you got "Pwn3d", again.

it was funny to hear Sarah mention that the Iraq war was a "task that is from God"

You would expect that kind of comment from a fundamentalist muslim, but not from a christian..fundamentalist who could be president of the US.

even funnier to hear mc cain say Sarah was "a partner and a soulmate" after only meeting her ONCE.

Who does that? John McCain

Is he a flip-flopper? http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/15924.html
    Or maybe its just dementia setting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Cpt Surf
    You said the South was not "rural America". I pointed that out as a ridiculous statement, which it is.

The South isnt rural America, no more than Ireland is Europe. I raised the points I made in relation to a rural - urban voting divide. You attempted to equate all of rural america with the South, which ignores all the other areas that are rural without being in "the South". Youre wrong. Its time to move on.
    What I was trying to point out was that your post about how the Democratic party cant or does not appeal to rural people is nonsense, which it is.

Well, heres a electoral map for the 2004 election that another poster linked in another thread. Google up a map of the US showing population densities. Ill let you figure out the implications...

countymap3070small.png

See how it compares to the blunt state electoral vote...

statemapredblue.png

Maybe my post about a state divide not being accurate, and a rural-urban one might have something to it? Or not....who knows, perhaps saying the South can be substituted for rural america can teach us more than....I dont know, stuff like facts, data, etc etc...

Oh and if the implications you figured out above didnt include the theme "Sand is right", heres a quote from the same sites analysis of the 2006 US elections...
    Because densely populated areas of the country tend to vote Democratic, the "blue" districts occupy smaller area on average, but they are nonetheless large in terms of numbers of people,

I underlined the parts where you were wrong. To help you.
    It also read like a thesis statement for some pseudo-intellectual social commentary written about a country in which the arrogant author neither lives in or is a citizen of.

Well, I dont really post my views to meet any standards you might have, so I dont know what to tell you. I will plead guilty to posting my opinion on a lot of matters happening outside of Ireland though. One of the risks of reading Irish politics forums Im afraid - Irish people sounding off on other countries and events therein. Bastards.

But I've always found your posts to be challenging and edumucational though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Overheal wrote: »
    so just how long has it been since charlie gibson or sarah palin was mentioned in this thread?

come on.

Well on that note; Does anyone feel its beyond justification that she made rape victims pay $1200 for their own rape kits while she was mayor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

so getting back to Gibson, watching the interview there again, it did kinda seem an awful lot like the school principal talking down to the prom queen, lol.

Advertisement