Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FLASH! Charlie Gibson Interviews Palin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Hobbes wrote: »
    omg.. why isn't this being reported? 20 hours combat? Medal + half per hour.
    because that would be unpatriotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Overheal wrote: »
    link or it didnt happen.

Do follow up Part 2 of this video, where its gets even wackier.

Not only does she pray the Iraq War is Gods war (with all the attendant "end times", and "rapture" craziness that implies). Her Pastor praises her for pushing drilling for oil. REASON, Alaska is soon going to need all the extra oil in dealing with all the refugees from the coming Armageddon when it is a "refuge state".

She just stands there beside him nodding her head, This is 3 months ago.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Interesting piece on the problems faced by the Dem ticket and the threat of the new kid on the block aka Sarah Palin, who once upon a time was Obama. Of particular interest is the quote from his own article a year and a half ago.

http://townhall.com/columnists/TonyBlankley/2008/09/10/the_gop_resurrection?page=full&comments=true

Of course this is all dependent on how things play out. My own feeling is that the Palin effect is limited strictly to the Right, unless Obama messes it up.

The extra votes she will give McCain will come from a renergised christian right who were lukewarm about him before.

The middle/swing votes that will decide the election (core Dem/Rep being pretty much a dead heat) are still in play and Obamas to lose.

These middle voters know how disastrous it has been for America being governed by the Republicans. McCain is a "more of the same" ticket.

When it comes to polling day, Obama will have had to have performed really badly for these people to conclude that voting with a heavy heart for of the corruption and incompetence of a Repubican "devil you know" is really best. Of course, could happen ....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Now that it was pointed out her visting Ireland was stretching the truth, it now turns out she didn't even visit Iraq either.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/13/report_palin_did_not_visit_ira.html#more
    Lieutenant Colonel Dave Osborn, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 207th Infantry of the Alaska National Guard told the Globe she did not venture into Iraq. "You have to have permission to go into a lot of areas, and [the crossing] is where her permissions were," he said.

Late Saturday, a Palin spokeswoman provided yet a third revision to the story, stating that the Alaska governor briefly traveled a quarter of a mile across the border into Iraqi territory at the crossing point.

Appears to be conflicting stories. According to Republican party she never even went over the border.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/13/palin.iraq/?iref=hpmostpop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I think you were asked to produce evidence for this claim previously and failed to do so.

It's hard to see how Palin can broaden McCains appeal. It still doesn't change the fact that he s running for the incumbent party whose policies have been a total disaster for America.

He & Palin both admit their own parties policies are crap, but McCain isnt offering anything different.

So far, Palin just seem to be trumpted by the Right, who have previously felt lacklustre about McCain, but strategically from their point of view it smacks of desperation and clutching at straws.

its as if they can offer nothing better to reassure themselves that they deserve to win this election other than Palin and her ideological soundness and personable appeal.

It still doesn't change the fact people ticking a box beside McCains name come November are voting for more of the same failure.

Yes. The complete absence by either of them in defending their own parties record in government over the last 8 years under Bush.

Instead they pretend the government has been by someone else entirely, a "washington elite".

Therefore they can state the obvious, that America is being run into the ground by corrupt incompetents; and somehow he are all supposed to suspend disbelief and join them in pretending that the people in question aren't the Republican party.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Am I the only one more worried by the fact that there doesn't seem to be evidence of McCain and Palin publicly disagreeing with Bush's policies?

I've made my case. Both McCain & Palin acknowledge that Republican Party policies have brought America to a disastrous low. They just pretend someone else, a "washington elite" did it.

I've noticed absolutely none of the Republican supporters on these boards ever defending their record in government either.

From reading your posts on this board, I would have to say that is more your style.

Other people following discussions can draw their own conclusions about somebody who lowers themselves to personal insults when they are on the losing side of an argument.

Donegal, I'd remind you there is a policy on boards.ie against throwing personal abuse at other members.

Everyone else here can have discussions, despite their political differences without doing that, you should learn to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

IMO one of the best things the McCain/Palin campaign can do is distance themselves from Bush. He is campaign-poison. His approval rating has been close to 28%.

Don't ask me what policies I disapprove of, I'm a lefty illiterate! Ask the 69% of Americans who disapprove also.

McCain has been trying to say this is now a campaign of change. What will he change exactly?

And finished Magnum cum laude.

btw, you have any evidence to the Percy Sutton claim? Because the Obama camp flatly deny it. Even Khalid al-Mansour says its a crock and he is one of the people cited in the story.

[edit] Actually Percy Sutton story is BS and even the Percy Sutton family have said so.
    http://mediamatters.org/items/200809080018
    The information Mr. Percy Sutton imparted on March 25 in a NY1 News interview regarding his connection to Barack Obama is inaccurate. As best as our family and the Chairman's closest friends can tell, Mr. Sutton, now 86 years of age, misspoke in describing certain details and events in that television interview.

We regret this unfortunate incident and we ask good conscientious people to extend compassion and grace to Percy Sutton, a man who has served America in many capacities; an officer with the Tuskegee Airmen in World War II and as a public servant who was the first elected African-American Manhattan Borough President.
    And being a "community organizer" does?

Sure, it would certainly help more then being a POW.

But if you want to play the POW card, you can prehaps explain how the following helps being a president.
    - 20 hours only combat experience.
    - Lost 5 planes (1 shot down, 3 crashed and one shot while on the ground by one of his own side).
    - Said he would give away military information in return for hospital treatment while captured.
    - By McCains recent definition of what torture is means he was never tortured while a POW.

• Advertisement

donegalfella, I think if you want to go on making claims at least spend some time researching them to see if they are true or not. Ok Thanks.

You have claimed here that McCain and Palin have both admitted that their party's policies are "crap."

Which is it? That McCain agrees with the current party policies or doesn't? From reading the sound bites from McCain you would be believed that he feels the parties policies are crap.

However if you do a bit of checking you will see that he has followed the party line for some time now.

Palin likewise. She goes on about being a reformer, etc when in fact she has done a lot that McCain claims she will be reforming (eg. earmark spending).

Evidence? If you haven't seen it from the numerous sources posted so far you never will. based on your comments regarding McCain/Obama I doubt you do any research on what you read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well it seems like he agrees with over 90% of Bush policies, which is fairly wholehearted imo. He's even changed his mind on things like the tax cuts, calling for them to be made permanent. Perhaps Bush has shown him the way?

Hey, I am not the one making the false claims.
    For example, this—"you would be believed that he feels"—what kind of entangled contortion is that?

I am sorry, how easily do you want me to spell this out to you?

"Ms. Walters also noted that Mr. McCain and Ms. Palin have said that her job will be to reform Washington. But, she pointed out, Mr. McCain has been in Congress for 22 years, the Republicans have been in the White House for eight years, so who, exactly, is Ms. Palin going to reform?" - The View.

"Let me offer an advance warning to the old big-spending, do-nothing, me-first-country-second Washington crowd: Change is coming,'' - McCain acceptance speech for party nomination.

About the only contention I can see you have is on the word "crap". If he doesn't think they are crap, then what do you think he means? That he loves them?

And as I pointed out it has been completely refuted. Yet you still seem to think the BS is true?

so McCain's military experience is extremely relevant to his role as president.

20 hours combat experience? Wow that really puts him ahead of Obama.

Noticed you skipped over the bit where McCain said he was going to offer up military secrets to the enemy in return for hospital treatment. (source: McCain)

• Advertisement

Advertisement