Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo boost

Options
  • 12-09-2008 9:38am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't it be great to push a button on your bike and let it do the work for you on a hard climb? Well, apparently some German crowd have invented just such a thing, according to Cyclingnews.com today:
    The entire system adds about 1900g (4.2lb) but feeds up to 200 watts of power straight to the cranks; simply hit the turbo button hidden in your bar end and off you go, beaming smiles as you pass your riding pals with almost no effort on stiff climbs on a 'standard' bike. The motor and transmission are designed to drop into a 31.6mm seat tube and drive a dedicated bottom bracket based on a Shimano Hollowtech II crank. The Li-ion battery pack drops into a standard saddle bag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

savage. that's the WW200 sorted for next year so. And the Etape :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Goodness me, I hope this doesn't actually take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Raam wrote: »
    Goodness me, I hope this doesn't actually take off.
    You're just afraid we'll drop you on the climbs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

So does it mean it will get you going AT 200 watts or give you an extra 200 watts?

tunney wrote: »
    So does it mean it will get you going AT 200 watts or give you an extra 200 watts?

It doesn't matter, I'm banning it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Perhaps after all these years we have finally figured out lance's non drug advantage.... no wonder they missed it... they were too busy looking at his Urine.... it certainly explains his cadence up hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

simply hit the turbo button hidden in your bar end and off you go, beaming smiles as you pass your riding pals with almost no effort on stiff climbs on a 'standard' bike.

If someone tried to pass me like this my pump would be in their spokes before you could say 'faceplant'.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I found the company's website.
    The auxiliary drive for bicycles is suitable for everyone: for active sports men and women who want to organise their training more effectively and not be dependent on the terrain, as well as, of course hobby mountain bikers, who will appreciate the boost on those torturous uphill sections.
    GRUBER Assist is not supposed to substitute exercise, just make it easier. It provides healthy fitness cycling for riders of all capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

tonto, you have a 31.6 seat tube... hmm, if i ever see you with a saddle bag or shimano cranks there will be an immediate seatpost check. luckily i think you'd rather die than allow either of those two give-away signs to besmirch the italian carbon. i have no such hang ups...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    tonto, you have a 31.6 seat tube... hmm, if i ever see you with a saddle bag or shimano cranks there will be an immediate seatpost check. luckily i think you'd rather die than allow either of those two give-away signs to besmirch the italian carbon. i have no such hang ups...

I bought Shimano cranks this week as it happens. The FSA cranks I nicked off my wife's bike are slightly knackered. I'm going to give the Shimano ones to her, but if the FSA ones don't last until I get my regular cranks back you may very well see me commit that sacrilegious act.

• Advertisement

Oh you boys and your "image". When you're panting like a dog on a climb, no one gives a fiddlers what cranks you have. :pac:

Raam wrote: »
    Oh you boys and your "image". When you're panting like a dog on a climb, no one gives a fiddlers what cranks you have. :pac:

You're absolutely right Mr. Cervelo;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

el tonto wrote: »
    I bought Shimano cranks this week as it happens. The FSA cranks I nicked off my wife's bike are slightly knackered. I'm going to give the Shimano ones to her, but if the FSA ones don't last until I get my regular cranks back you may very well see me commit that sacrilegious act.

good god! going from a compact to shimano? frying pans and fires spring to mind. these must be difficult times... i promise not to inform the eurocyclists.

niceonetom wrote: »
    good god! going from a compact to shimano? frying pans and fires spring to mind. these must be difficult times... i promise not to inform the eurocyclists.

It's a compact Shimano too.

Welcome to the darkside, El_Tonto.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

el tonto wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great to push a button on your bike and let it do the work for you on a hard climb? ...

Jaysus I could get my girlfriend one of these and then maybe she would come out for a cycle... :)

Advertisement