Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wired at full moon?

Options
  • 12-09-2008 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭

I did a quick search on full moon and didn't find anything so apologies if it's been done before but I've noticed our dog who've we've had near 3 months has gone nuts the night where there's a full moon.

She'll keep barking & crying / trying to get our attention ALL night, even if we go in & give out and send her back to her basket etc...
    She's just wired, full of energy & wants hugs, like she'll climb up into your face for hugs.

We got no sleep the last time, and we got no sleep last night either - just wondering is there much you can do - or is this somewhat common? Does the full moon affect dogs?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

It's most likely not the full moon but the extra light that is making her more vocal.
    what normally would be blacked out is now shadowy & can be startling.
    You shouldn't pander to her every whimper, if you go to her when she cries she'll learn very quickly what to do to get your attention & if it doesn't work as quick as the last time it will get louder.

I know my own dogs are noisier on a bright night, more watch dog barking, but only cause they are seeing things that they dont usually see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yeah my parents were up to her quickly last time but I told them not to cuz she'd think it's great craic us all getting up when she wants.

I'd leave her for nearly 15mins (there's younger kids in the house and the house next door so i can't have her barking for too long) and usually that'd to the trick but there was no hope last night. You'd give out and she'd be back at the door in seconds. The entire night, it was odd. Maybe if we put up something to make the room darker would that work do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Worth a try.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

"Tis the full moon.. happens even when cloudy. Hence the workd LUN atics; affects people also .. only we tune out more than critters can. Cats react the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HOBO 83

You could try keep an eye on the luner charts and you would have a better idea when to expect the full moon, and on those days try bring your dog for a good run so she is as worn out as possible and she may sleep throgh the nite.

My springer used to get really worked up during thunder and lightning to the stage where we would have to take her into the bed in order to get any sleep, its a real pain in the hole. She was a recue dog who was origianitly bread for hunting but when her previos owners found her to be gun shy she was just neglected, I think thats where our problem stemed from.
    I no exactly what your going though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

The terror of thunder is a breed characteristic. Our collie is the same. They are outdoor dogs, bred to find, protect, hunt.Thunder thus can be dangerous.

She used to demand out and find the old kennel she had when she was chained up 24/7. Then she graduated to retreating behind an armchair with her backside sticking out Now she demands to be with me:)

It is progress...

As long as she feels safe.... Our other dog, Jack/Basset cross, has no fear of thunder.. different breeds.

Advertisement