Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palin says she is ready to assume presidency..

Options
  • 12-09-2008 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

WASHINGTON - Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin said yesterday that she had no hesitation about becoming John McCain's running mate, confident that she has the experience in world affairs to take over the presidency despite acknowledging that she has never met a foreign head of state.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/articles/2008/09/12/palin_says_she_is_ready_to_assume_presidency/

In a second interview aired on "Nightline," Palin softened her stance on the environment. In the past, she has expressed doubt that global warming is caused by people, but last night said that "man's activities certainly can be contributing."
    Palin said she had traveled little to other countries. Aside from visiting Canada and Mexico, she said she took the "trip of a lifetime" last year when she visited troops in Kuwait, Iraq, and Germany.
    The Washington Post reported that Palin told Iraq-bound soldiers yesterday that they would "defend the innocent from the enemies who planned and carried out and rejoiced in the death of thousands of Americans."
    The remark appeared at odds with President Bush's stance that there was no connection between Iraq and the Sept. 11 attacks.

In a seperate article :

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, emerging from media silence for her first serious interview as the GOP vice presidential pick, said Thursday that the United States might have to go to war if Russia were to invade Georgia again.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/12/MNSA12SBUQ.DTL

Apparently there is a better than one in three chance of Sarah Palin becoming president if McCain is elected. :eek: as summed up by Matt Damon :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anxkrm9uEJk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lolz are you seriously suggesting someone with ministerial experience for almost 10 years hasn't more qualification to be taoiseach than palin is qualified to be President? Do you think that the minister for finance didn't travel to Brussels for instance, quite regularly? Or perhaps, just perhaps in his role of Foreign minister he travelled to places like China, or New York? I was going to provide some links, but tbh your post was so farcical that I don't think I will bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

In fairness, if she gets the VP it's not unreasonable to think she could at some point be president, especially considering mc cain is no spring chicken. You have to take into consideration that she could be commander in chief of the biggest and most interventionist military on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Given McCains age, the possibility of President Palin by proxy if he were elected, but died in office, is very real and has to be considered.

In that light, her lack of intellectual curiosity about the world is a serious handicap. It's not just that she has never travelled. It's revealed in a lack of knowledge so basic she didn't know what the Bush doctrine was.

How is someone so hobbled by lack of knowledge going to deal with complex situations at critical times ?

Say a simulatanous crisis with Isreal about to attack Iran, at the same time Russia threatens to invade Ukraine.

You really think someone running for VP, who only yesterday discovered the central plank of her own parties foreign policy will be clued up enough to steer America through this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I've got to say I am puzzled about the concentration on McCains age. Sure, hes older than Obama but hes not an invalid or obviously incapable of primary involvement in a vast political campaign. He appears able to hack the breakneck pace of a US presidential election. As President he wont want for simply the best medical care in the world. Hes not quite for the knackers yard yet.

Obama could get hit by a bus tommorrow for christ sake.

Sand wrote: »
    I've got to say I am puzzled about the concentration on McCains age. Sure, hes older than Obama but hes not an invalid or obviously incapable of primary involvement in a vast political campaign. He appears able to hack the breakneck pace of a US presidential election. As President he wont want for simply the best medical care in the world. Hes not quite for the knackers yard yet.

All true, the point being statistically a man between the ages of 72-76 is far more likely to die.

Of course were he elected it might never happen but there is a far greater chance than normal that it might happen.

In which case, the chance of President Palin by default has to be considered.

Most people who take out insurance know "it" probably won't happen; the point is to prepare for it.

Sand wrote: »

Eh, how many health problems and scares and skin cancers has he had in the last few years? Everyone can see that he is not the healthiest candidate, I don't think anyone expects a second term, and even the republicans will admit that they are voting for two people to be president. It must be quite damaging to his confidence though to be talking about who will take over when he pops his clogs.

• Advertisement

That is true for any leader, be they CEO's, Presidents whatever.

You seem to be implying it doesn't matter if people in a leadership capacity lack the skills to be effective, as advisors will compensate.

If you are the sort of person who doesn't have the knowledge to deal with the world yourself, do you really think that kind of person will be any smarter in judging the advice of a plethora of advisors ? Unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Why?

Fair enough.
    I'd be more worried about McCain escalating more war and possibly starting another one. Plus if he does die someone who doesn't even know what the Bush doctrine is will be the most powerful person in the world.

Donegal, this is clutching at straws.

Whilst I agree the sum of human knowledge is too much for any one human being to digest, I would expect a certain minimum amount of knowledge for any one person in their chosen field of knowledge.

Thus if I am interviewed for the job of a brain surgeon, I might be expected to know the difference between veins and arteries.

Palin demonstrably knows nothing about the world. While its fine to constantly go through life learning new things (we all do it).

Is the US presidency supposed to be an on the job education program for Saran Palin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

I think Palin's experience makes her better suited to be President of the United States than Obama, who if I'm correct, only spent a total of 143 acutal days doing his job as a US Senator (not counting time campaigning for President). Of course I think Obama would be suited to be the president of Europe (if they had one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Speer

McCain will win come November because the democrats nominated a vacuous candidate who's full of slogans but has no policies and brought not one bit of legislation to the Senate.Hillary Clinton would have beaten McCain.The Democrats blew it again.

Speer wrote: »
    McCain will win come November because the democrats nominated a vacuous candidate who's full of slogans but has no policies and brought not one bit of legislation to the Senate.Hillary Clinton would have beaten McCain.The Democrats blew it again.

Here are all his policies on the main issues. They are a bit boring to read that's why we only hear slogans etc from him in the media.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

• Advertisement

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    I think Palin's experience makes her better suited to be President of the United States than Obama, who if I'm correct, only spent a total of 143 acutal days doing his job as a US Senator (not counting time campaigning for President). Of course I think Obama would be suited to be the president of Europe (if they had one).

You are so right. Who wants a highly intelligent, accomplished person to lead their country in a world full of increasing challenges.

It's so obvious a clueless person will be so much better in dealing with Vladimir Putin and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

In fact, lets have clueless people running everything; its so non-elitist.

But lets make sure they keep cutting taxes for the super-rich, and f***** over everyone else - 'cos that wouldn't be non-elitist !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Palin is a moron.. But she's cute. It's about her only good quality. If she was running for miss milf universe, she'd have my vote.. But for VP of the US? No thanks.

Speer wrote: »

But McCain has co-opted Obama's slogans, what does that say about the Republicans own vacuousness?

Donegal, this comes down to whether you believe someone so clueless they only grasped the central policy of their own parties foreign policy, when it was pointed out ot hem by a reporter yesterday, is intellectually equipped to deal with US relations in a dangerous world better than someone who has demonstrated superlative intellectual ability.

I raise the point again, when a job (the US presidency) requires the best candidate; why go for someone who is so obviously inferior in terms of ability ?

That said this is Obama:McCain for President, not Palin, but we are debating Palin as President in this thread.

Please, please don't bring her "executive experience" in running somewhere the size of Greystones or Tullamore into the equation.

He's a great orator, is well presented, and is well capable of answering questions and putting his own message across. He is clearly educated and well informed. I've been equally impressed with mc cains presentation. That's my main interest in the race to be honest, the presentation and quality of their marketing. I think America is what it is and don't see much scope for a different direction regardless of which of them get in. They're better actors and more interesting characters than previous lead roles in the soap opera, that's all.

Palin does worry me though, she's not informed (or doesn't appear so). She lacks experience and she shows it, obama doesn't really give that impression. What little I know of her is worrying but I am open to the fact that it could just be exaggerated character assignation. My biggest worry about Palin is that her religion seems to be genuine belief and not just playing the religious card. I always fear people who have genuine staunch religious beliefs and who happen to be in a position to make policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

you mean in her brain? She seems to know sweet **** all that is going on in the international stage. Can you imagine this woman controlling not only the country's economy but also the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan whilst still dealing with Russia and Iran? I can imagine many questions from her aides such as "are you sure you want to do that ms. president?".
    Yes, she might know about getting funds for the local sports centre or collecting the rubbish but she doesn't know much about not even the national stage but more importantly the international stage. Obama does and so does Joe Biden.
    That is your defence of her? You do realise that John McCain attacked Obama's experience? and then suddenly it was alright and it became about change. How can McCain change something so fundamental? Talking about how important the international front is and then choose Palin as VP candidate.
    What? They had the good sense to nominate the younger and less experienced Palin for vice-president after lambasting Obama for lack of experience? Good sense? There is the real possibility that McCain might not make it through his term and you think this is good sense? I'm speechless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

clown bag wrote: »
    What little I know of her is worrying but I am open to the fact that it could just be exaggerated character assignation.
    Just watch the ABC News interview and you don't need to worry about character assassination anymore. You will see with your two eyes.

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    Just watch the ABC News interview and you don't need to worry about character assassination anymore. You will see with your two eyes.

I was trying to be kind tbh ;)

Advertisement