Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Average speed camera vs Fixed point speed camera

Options
  • 12-09-2008 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

One thing i've noticed about the Average speed cameras in Europe is that it does indeed make everyone drive within the limit which is good as people are changing lanes etc to get into the correct lane for their exit.

A weird side effect is that everyone drives exactly on the limit, people that were previously doing 80 in a 100 will speed up to 120km/h in a 120, right on the nose.

I think the psychology behind it is that because there is an imposed limit, people want to get through it as quickly as possible.

Anyways, i think their much better than the fixed point cameras as people know where they are and only slow down for a few hundred meters.

Whats yere opinion on it ....

Although, i did get a 32 euro fine in the post for driving 112 in a 100 ... argh .. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

craichoe wrote: »
    Anyways, i think their much better than the fixed point cameras as people know where they are and only slow down for a few hundred meters.

Doesnt that defeat the purpose of safe driving? Only slowing down because you know there is a camera there?

Fixed point cameras should be used in towns and villages like England and average speed cameras should be used on motorways and inter urbans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

craichoe wrote: »
    Whats yere opinion on it ....

I would say that average speed cameras are preferable.
    They will forgive minor momentary lapses.
    They will not punish people for exceeding the limit briefly for safety reasons (overtaking, making room for people to merge etc.)
    They (I imagine) should reduce the hazard caused by the regular cameras where people tend to drop anchor suddenly when they see them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kearnsr wrote: »
    Doesnt that defeat the purpose of safe driving? Only slowing down because you know there is a camera there?
    The logic is (supposedly) that the camera is only placed in a location that is statistically dangerous. Making it visible to drivers and getting them to slow down is the ambition and if it works then great - the most efficient camera will make no money from fines! However, nobody seems to have told the people responsible here!
    Fixed point cameras should be used in towns and villages like England and average speed cameras should be used on motorways and inter urbans.
    I wouldn't put too much emphasis on cameras either urban or otherwise. You cannot beat a visible human form of enforcement.
    This is becomming more evident in the UK:
    Speed camera benefits overrated
    Speed camera U-turn as 500 sites rejected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Quite familiar with the average speed systems, hammer it until you're near the booth, stop, have a smoke/read the paper and then hammer on.

That's the way the locals do it in France :D works great for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Indeed, I agree on that.

But the most interesting thing i've found is that the Average speed cameras improve the flow of traffic as everyone keeps to the same speed and there isn't intermittant braking etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jaycen wrote: »
    Quite familiar with the average speed systems, hammer it until you're near the booth, stop, have a smoke/read the paper and then hammer on.

That's the way the locals do it in France :D works great for me.
    I haven't been to France since 2006 (IIRC). When I was last there I didn't come across any average systems such as SPECS. I frequently did well over 160km/h (and thankfully wasn't caught) but whilst there were cameras (some placed in the centre wall dividing a dual carriageway!!!) I just smiled at it and kept with the heavy foot.
    None of the autoroutes had anyone waiting at the tolls nor were there any polis waiting there to check the ticket and do the sums!
    Thankfully or I'd still be paying it all off now! :D

[if anyone is going to come on here and moan about me admitting to the speed then don't bother!]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kbannon wrote: »

The logic is (supposedly) that the camera is only placed in a location that is statistically dangerous. Making it visible to drivers and getting them to slow down is the ambition and if it works then great - the most efficient camera will make no money from fines! However, nobody seems to have told the people responsible here!

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on cameras either urban or otherwise. You cannot beat a visible human form of enforcement.

Ideally you would want enforcement but I don’t think Ireland (or any country that I know of) has the resources to provide that.

What is needed is the next best thing which is variable fixed speed camera locations.

If you keep changing the location of these people don’t get complacent. You keep the presence and hopefully all the benefits

Advertisement