Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris Jericho in UCD

• 12-09-2008 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭

I am still trying to find sources but i have heard the following.

Chris Jericho is set to receive the James Joyce Award as part of the 154th Session of the University College Dublin Law & Historical Society. The award is given to selected people who have achieved outstanding success in their given field. It is named after one of the society's alumni, one of the great Irish writers; James Joyce.

Previous winners of the award include Will Ferrell, Jesse Jackson, Michael Palin, Hans Blix, Bill Bryson, Rory Bremner and J.K. Rowling. Other people to recieve the award in this academic year will include Neil Flynn (Janitor from Scrubs), Roger Daltrey, and Aaron Eckhart.

The reigning WWE World Heavyweight Champion will receive this award at a ceremony in UCD at some point during this academic year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

This was rumoured last year but the L and H are extremely keen to bring him in but failed. Personally, have very high hopes that he'll be in but don't trust the L and H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well he is on Raw and Raw comes to Belfast in November so he could do it then.

I understand what you're saying but last year I was talking to someone who was very involved in the L and H and he said they had him booked for the second semester. They are full of empty promises so don't bank on him coming in. They've been promising people like Patrick Stewart for years

Edit: Here's last years thread, full of dissapointment
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055186491&highlight=jericho+ucd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

They been working on that for a year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The award is given to selected people who have achieved outstanding success in their given field. Other people to recieve the award in this academic year will include Neil Flynn (Janitor from Scrubs)

outstanding success in their given field? not exactly Marlon Brando...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I actually thought that this was another bumped thread when i saw the title, lol.
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying but last year I was talking to someone who was very involved in the L and H and he said they had him booked for the second semester. They are full of empty promises so don't bank on him coming in. They've been promising people like Patrick Stewart for years.

Harsh*. I know the guy who was dealing with Jericho's agent and they had agreed dates when he wasn't working. Then he went back to work and they were back to square one. College societies don't just promise guests and not deliver for the crack, it's because the guest will inevitably need to alter their timetable or will pull out completely.

By all accounts Jericho really wants to go. They had even agreed an agenda (which hilariously included a firm statement that he would not be able to perform any moves on audience members).

With Jericho back on centre stage I'd say the best chance of this happening is when they're over here on one of the UK tours.

* I'm not a member of the L&H, lest I be accused of being a shill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I'll believe it when I see it. I was told last year that Chris jericho was confirmed to come over but in the end nothing happened.This sort of stuff is always announced by the various societies in the lead up to the opening of the freshers tent

It was confirmed and Jericho pulled out. I'm not going to lie to ye, the societies do often present maybes as definites, but it was Jericho's return to action that deferred the visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

be still my beating heart

Jericho in Ireland

• Advertisement

JP Liz wrote: »
    be still my beating heart

Jericho in Ireland

See above, he can't do any moves on you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I've heard Russell Brand is to receive it this year. He mentioned on one of his podcasts in August, there. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    I've heard Russell Brand is to receive it this year. He mentioned on one of his podcasts in August, there. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news!

Finally.Somebody makes a FUNNY joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I saw a few posters of this around the campus and it's in their magazine. I hope it's true. I would actually hang around for this one.

I might go to this one myself , will have to see if a friend can do me a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭heymayo

How would i ( A DIT Student) get tickets for any more of the james joyce Things?? I know a lad in UCD but its highly unlikey he is a member of the L&H??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I went to see Will Ferrell last year and I'm in Trinity, so it ain't no thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

How do these things usually work ticket wise?

I have a friend who tried getting me tickets to the Will Ferrell one last year and said that you needed to be a member of this thing yada yada yada....

How do these things usually work ticket wise?

I have a friend who tried getting me tickets to the Will Ferrell one last year and said that you needed to be a member of this thing yada yada yada....

Well if your friend is a member of the L&H then he should be able to buy a ticket for you both.

Well if your friend is a member of the L&H then he should be able to buy a ticket for you both.

Just speaking to him, before i seen the post of course, and he said that that everyone needs to have a student card or something?

• Advertisement

Would you really go to one of these because there's a wrestler at it?

I mean.. He's not going to come out to his theme tune, tell you how much he deserves this more than everyone else, put the walls of jericho on someone and sign a load of autographs and pose for pictures on the way out...

... Or will he?

Spike440 wrote: »
    By all accounts Jericho really wants to go. They had even agreed an agenda (which hilariously included a firm statement that he would not be able to perform any moves on audience members).

I mean.. He's not going to come out to his theme tune, tell you how much he deserves this more than everyone else, put the walls of jericho on someone and sign a load of autographs and pose for pictures on the way out...

... Or will he?

I think all of this is possible excluding the moves part?

... Or will he?

You know, he just might KKV. He just might.

You know, he just might KKV. He just might.

To be honest, I've never understood why wrestlers never use their theme music.

I seen some morning show on TV before (some saturday morning, cant remember what channel or anything like that) and Booker T was on it. But when he came out onto the stage, he came out to his music.

Yet when Kane was being interviewed about See No Evil, and the 5,000,000 interviews cena has had on TV shows, Trish, Triple H and Kurt Angle were on the same show booker T was on, etc. they never seem to use their theme music. Just some random stuff the TV show have. I know it might seem a little silly, but i think that if they are going to enter to music to a tv show,m they may aswell use their own personalised music rather than some generic crap a TV show will have.

When Matt Bellamy or any musician for that matter are introduced on a chat show, do they come out to their music?

It has just dawned on me that your earlier post was serious; not the jibe I had thought. Hmmmmm....

To be honest, I've never understood why wrestlers never use their theme music.

I seen some morning show on TV before (some saturday morning, cant remember what channel or anything like that) and Booker T was on it. But when he came out onto the stage, he came out to his music.

Yet when Kane was being interviewed about See No Evil, and the 5,000,000 interviews cena has had on TV shows, Trish, Triple H and Kurt Angle were on the same show booker T was on, etc. they never seem to use their theme music. Just some random stuff the TV show have. I know it might seem a little silly, but i think that if they are going to enter to music to a tv show,m they may aswell use their own personalised music rather than some generic crap a TV show will have.

All depends on the producer/director of the show.

If a director sees it as a big part to having the wrestler on the show, i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Isnt it great - everyone used to question how useful a UCD degree was - now we know.

And who said Americans dont do irony. Chris Jericho does :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

He's getting the award for his tireless work promoting the oldest inhabited city in the world, where God began his conquest of Canaan and caused the City's walls to fall to the ground. It was in a promo years back. You might have missed it.

When Matt Bellamy or any musician for that matter are introduced on a chat show, do they come out to their music?

... I don't know, but im assuming they don't?
    It has just dawned on me that your earlier post was serious; not the jibe I had thought. Hmmmmm....

It was sarcasm, but the "why would anyone want to go just cos hes a wrestler" question was legit.

• Advertisement

He's getting the award for his tireless work promoting the oldest inhabited city in the world, where God began his conquest of Canaan and caused the City's walls to fall to the ground. It was in a promo years back. You might have missed it.

Nah - idont believe that. Honorary degrees are a public display saying this person has values we aspire to. So UCD is saying that Chris Jericho is a role model for its students. I agree he is . Now if only UCD students could achieve the same level in terms of academic achievement as he achieves in life maybe the degrees would be worth something.

It was sarcasm, but the "why would anyone want to go just cos hes a wrestler" question was legit.

Strange post, especially from a fanboy like yourself (no offense meant, I'm just going by your obsessive posts in the AWR topic:)). No he's probably not going to sign anything; I couldn't care less about that. He's definitely not going to have an exhibition match; because that will be lame. What he will do is come out and make a speech. He's always come across as a funny, intelligent and charismatic guy, so I imagine this would be well worth going to see. Moreover, from a student's POV its partly just an excuse to go on the tear in UCD.
    CDfm wrote: »
    Nah - idont believe that. Honorary degrees are a public display saying this person has values we aspire to. So UCD is saying that Chris Jericho is a role model for its students. I agree he is . Now if only UCD students could achieve the same level in terms of academic achievement as he achieves in life maybe the degrees would be worth something.

I like this guy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Why would anyone give Will Ferrall an award, other than for being a dickhead?

Gerard.C wrote: »

:eek: Um,

To quote Austin:
    What?

Gerard.C wrote: »

Possibly for the attention, publicity and revenue his acceptance ceremony garnered. Just an idea :rolleyes:

:eek: Um,

To quote Austin:
    What?
    Sorry I misread there either Im dyslexic or you quoted Autism

• Advertisement

Possibly for the attention, publicity and revenue his acceptance ceremony garnered. Just an idea :rolleyes:
    Im with Gerard C here - I looked it up in the old reliable CDfm Dictionary.

Dickheadsian - adj - describing a member of the UCD alumnii

Sorry I misread there either Im dyslexic or you quoted Autism

emoticon.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

True, he talked about it at length 0n his podcast, which would have to make you believe he'll be accepting it. In fairness who is the average student going to be more familiar with, Jericho or Russell brand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

True, he talked about it at length 0n his podcast, which would have to make you believe he'll be accepting it. In fairness who is the average student going to be more familiar with, Jericho or Russell brand?

Jericho for me thanks be to god!

Hmmmm... thats an extremely interesting question..

IMO, a lot of college heads would be about 18-24? so that would leave them open to have once watched wrestling as a kid, and if so, there is no way they wouldnt know who Jericho is. Even my friend who only seen some wrestling back ages ago, i asked him about the whole thing and to his reply, the first thing he said was
    "Didnt know you were a big Jericho fan?" ...

Like Wha?! :rolleyes:

On the other hand, Brand is more.. um, known, just because he is known really, i dont think a lot of people would like him that much.

If this award is going to someone who has excelled in they're area of entertainment or whatever, and they gave it to will ferrel, what right does russel brand have to get it?

• Advertisement

Hmmmm... thats an extremely interesting question..

IMO, a lot of college heads would be about 18-24? so that would leave them open to have once watched wrestling as a kid, and if so, there is no way they wouldnt know who Jericho is. Even my friend who only seen some wrestling back ages ago, i asked him about the whole thing and to his reply, the first thing he said was

I think you forget that wrestling appeals practically soley to men. Can't see the hordes of Oompa Loompas from Quinn school lining up to see Y2J

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I think you forget that wrestling appeals practically soley to men. Can't see the hordes of Oompa Loompas from Quinn school lining up to see Y2J

Quite a good point that.
    Well then all the guys to who i was referring to in the above post is counteracted with all the ladies who likes the idea of Russel brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭rizzla

Wait just a sec.

When Fozzy played the Voodoo lounge I went to see that with 3 women. They loved Jericho purely because he was sex on legs apparently. Crippling my male ego. So Jericho does not just appeal to men.

Well then all the guys to who i was referring to in the above post is counteracted with all the ladies who likes the idea of Russel brand.

I would definitely go to see Brand. When he's on form he's absolutely hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Don't they give this awards out in one of the lecture theatres? They only fit a few hundred people, there'd be no problem at all with getting enough people to fill the place

Jericho's also more well known than a lot of other wrestlers because of his appearances on those VH1 shows. I'm sure there'd be girls who'd know him off that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭heymayo

I like WWE but would rather Russel Brand:)

I think you should go all out for Jade Goody

If your going to have an Idol they should be available and ..............................

Yup - Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross - but seriously folks are they role models and are they inspirational? You could get 2 for the price of 1.

Id go with Andrew Sachs the Actor -played Manuel and was abused by those 2 recently and his grandaughter for sticking up for him.

iF YOU GIVE HONOURARY DEGREES THE SHOULD BE TO PEOPLE YOU WOULD BE PROUD TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH.

Whats your bag when you choose - well Noel Gallagher of Oasis - Irish Connection raised himself up and overcame stuff and will play Slane - sensible dude. The drummer from Thin Lizzy - world class and Irish- unassuming shuns the limelight - Gary Moore the Guitarist.The founders of Goodfellas pizza and Eddie Rockets Irish Brands -I dont know who they are. The founders of Boards.ie ......surely they are due an honour for services to manners and respect to others on -line.

If you propose people for hype reasons it says as much about you and your college and values as it does them. AS David Bowie said - dont meet your heroes they are sure to disappoint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

If you propose people for hype reasons it says as much about you and your college and values as it does them. AS David Bowie said - dont meet your heroes they are sure to disappoint.

Except for Bret Hart

Random bump here

rovert wrote: »
    Except for Bret Hart

Random bump here
    Bret Hart I would go with.

The Harts from Canada went on and dominated an era of American Wrestling - he would qualify.Does he have an Irish Newfoundland connection?

The Fossetts of Fossetts Circus also entertainers are long overdue honours - loads of aCTORS GET THEM why not circuses or Perks the Carnival People who are Irish and ran the Hong Kong State Fair for years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement