Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for Student Council - Election Ideas?

Options
  • 12-09-2008 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

'lo folks,

As the title suggests, I'm running for Freshman Senator and would like to see if anybody here on boards.ie has any good ideas for my election campaign that I've missed. Now, the unique thing is, I'm an Irish student studying in America, so feel absolutely free to bloody milk the Irish thing (I know I have been, even when I'm not canvasing)

I suppose the most definite piece of information I'm seeking is some of the election slogans used back in 2007 - so I can modify 'em slightly to pertain to me! I've actually come up with a lot of slogans - thanks both to Sloganizer.net and using things like Tiocfaidh Arlá etc, but I'd love to hear if anyone can think of some others.

I have to have a whitelist of slogans and election ideas to be approved, so as of now, I'm pretty much typing down anything which I think I would even remotely use - just to be sure.

I'm really interested and hoping ye folks can think of, or help me think of, actual campaign ideas beyond the old poster making. It's abot 6am here and I'm racking my brains - so far I've just come up with the usual Facebook / Bebo networks, free [item] with slogan on em, or just giving out free sweets, but my mind is tapped beyond that.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Stonehead wrote: »
    'lo folks,

As the title suggests, I'm running for Freshman Senator and would like to see if anybody here on boards.ie has any good ideas for my election campaign that I've missed. Now, the unique thing is, I'm an Irish student studying in America, so feel absolutely free to bloody milk the Irish thing (I know I have been, even when I'm not canvasing)

I suppose the most definite piece of information I'm seeking is some of the election slogans used back in 2007 - so I can modify 'em slightly to pertain to me! I've actually come up with a lot of slogans - thanks both to Sloganizer.net and using things like Tiocfaidh Arlá etc, but I'd love to hear if anyone can think of some others.

I have to have a whitelist of slogans and election ideas to be approved, so as of now, I'm pretty much typing down anything which I think I would even remotely use - just to be sure.

I'm really interested and hoping ye folks can think of, or help me think of, actual campaign ideas beyond the old poster making. It's abot 6am here and I'm racking my brains - so far I've just come up with the usual Facebook / Bebo networks, free [item] with slogan on em, or just giving out free sweets, but my mind is tapped beyond that.

Thoughts?

how about spending more time focusing on what your policies are and how you intend to implement them if elected. and not some flashy catchphrase etc. be more concerned with getting your message across clearly and straight forward down to earthness. you never know something original might come out of it. either way you should delegate some one else to do that side of the campaign

just a thought. by the way tiocfaidh ar lá is a bad idea, unless you really are going to cause to revolution etc. what powers to student unions actually have?

that is my two cents anyway. good luck with the elcetion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

by the way tiocfaidh ar lá is a bad idea, unless you really are going to cause to revolution etc.
    +1. I'd also learn how to spell it if you're going to use it. You could always model yourself on Obama, he's pretty good at that side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

how about spending more time focusing on what your policies are and how you intend to implement them if elected. and not some flashy catchphrase etc. be more concerned with getting your message across clearly and straight forward down to earthness. you never know something original might come out of it. either way you should delegate some one else to do that side of the campaign

just a thought. by the way tiocfaidh ar lá is a bad idea, unless you really are going to cause to revolution etc. what powers to student unions actually have?

that is my two cents anyway. good luck with the elcetion.

They should model their campaign on the US presidential campaign.
    Policies yeah right, it's photo ops, catch phrases, etc that will win it.
    Where is the college, is it MidWest, deepsouth, etc ?
    Figure out what the voters want and then massage your policies to match.
    Did you do any focus group research ?
    Do they want to be able to carry guns on campus (for personal protection of course) or do they want extra fries with their meals in the cafeteria ?
    When I was in college the students union were always complaining about the cafeterias.

What percentage of the voters are "Orish" and milk it for all it is worth, play the ould thatch cottage, politically opressed, straving kid done well in good old US of A. Play loads of U2 music at your rallies, drop hints that your family are buddies with the Edge.
    Remember you are from Ireland just like all of them :rolleyes:

Tell them the Irish voted aginst Lisbon treaty becuase we refused to be dictated to by the ungrateful French. We stand beside them in the war on terror.

Oh and collect as much dirt on the oposition, preferably something sexual.

You may say I am cynical but those appear ot be how a lot of our policitans now get elected.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Stonehead

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have policies I wish to implement and liase witht he administration, but my slogans/campaigning ideas are due by today for apporval - so they're a lot more imminent than my actual policies are.

The College is in the North East by the way

Advertisement