Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aston Villa - Match Thread

Options
  • 12-09-2008 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

OK, I know we're not playing til Monday but I said Id start the thread nice and early seeing as its so quiet and we have'nt played in 2 weeks.
    I think we'll all agree that 3 points are badly needed to get our season kick-started. I'll have a stab at team selection.

Gomes,Corluka,King,Woodgate,Bale,Zokora,Jenas,Modric,Bentley,Lennon, Bent.

I have gone with Lennon instead of Gio as Lennon will be nice and fresh having not being involved with Eng, and Gio was away with Mexcico , although Gio may well get the nod !!

I have also gone with Bent, as I can see Pav getting introduced to English football bit by bit, again I may be wide of the mark.

No matter who plays, I really hope we get 3 pts and get the season rolling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

3-1 to the Spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I can't see another 4-4 but won't be suprised to see plenty of goals.

I'll take any scoreline that gives us all 3 points especially as I'll be cheering them on from Park Lane.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

At last a game to talk about,Can't wait to see how we perform in this game, even though were at home its not going to be easy against Villa,there a hard team to beat these days home or away.Its a big game for us and 3 points would be a relief more than anything,it's also start of a six match run in the space of a short time with cc cup and uefa cup in the mix so a lot could be decided in the next couple of weeks.plenty to talk about for a change anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I can't see another 4-4 but won't be suprised to see plenty of goals.

I'll take any scoreline that gives us all 3 points especially as I'll be cheering them on from Park Lane.:pac:

Dublin Spur will be around mate, give him a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 brozio

i'm going for a 2-1 win for us.

can anybody recommend a pub to watch the match in Galway city?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Id like to see Bent and Pav start alongside each other, havent been at all impressed by our attempts at a 4-5-1. Lookin forward to seein Corluka also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Coverage on..?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Id like to see Bent and Pav start alongside each other, havent been at all impressed by our attempts at a 4-5-1. Lookin forward to seein Corluka also.

Id be suprised if we did'nt see the 4231 formation again as I think its the way Juande will play most of the time !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭sew

looking forward to the corluka signing, however, also looking forward to seen Alan Hutton back- was immense end of season run in for us.

Anyone here on Coys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ditrock

Kold wrote: »
    Coverage on..?

Coverage on Setanta I believe

Lets Go 4 - 4 - 2 with Pav and Bent up front, Im sure they have been training together and we need to put our best foot forward for this one.

Oh and if we win this game by more than 2 goals we go ahead of Man Yoo on goal difference and move up to a more respectable mid table...

If we lose this game we remain bottom of the table with less points than the likes of Champions League chasing Hull City and Mid Tabke Stoke, what is the premierleague coming to???

COYS

• Advertisement

ditrock wrote: »
    Coverage on Setanta I believe

Lets Go 4 - 4 - 2 with Pav and Bent up front, Im sure they have been training together and we need to put our best foot forward for this one.

Oh and if we win this game by more than 2 goals we go ahead of Man Yoo on goal difference and move up to a more respectable mid table...

If we lose this game we remain bottom of the table with less points than the likes of Champions League chasing Hull City and Mid Tabke Stoke, what is the premierleague coming to???

COYS

Feckin Setanta, I have Sky Sports :( Any live streams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ditrock

Kold wrote: »
    Feckin Setanta, I have Sky Sports :( Any live streams?

Not usually, call up some mates or get down to the pub or alternatively

log on to spurs.co.uk go to live match and keep pressing F5 (not the best option) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

3-0 to the Spurs if we play 4-4-2 and speed up our buildup play.

Passing the ball across the pitch too much, enables the other team to get more bodies behind the ball.

spurs.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, looking good so far...bottom of the table with 1 point in 4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Oh dear, we are so crap. Another loss at home, against a non-top 4 team. 1 point in 4 games, and Chelsea result aside, not a single decent performance to speak of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

So same old story really. No leadership out on that pitch, both goals so far have been down to errors, still too many average players in our team. Half of them look like they dont know what to do when they get the ball. Total contrast compared to Villa who are well organised, hard working and look like they have a game plan, Imagine having one of them!:rolleyes:

We're definitely missing leadership, but there's also no fluidity to our play. We play it out of defence up to someone in an attacking position, and then everyone is standing still. All of the fancy moves we had in pre-season are gone and we look like a team that has never played with each other.

As I type it in goes a jammy goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Total contrast compared to Villa who are well organised, hard working and look like they have a game plan, Imagine having one of them!:rolleyes:

Judging from radio commentary alone, sounds like the difference between both teams comes almost entirely from the touchline.

I am very concerned with Ramos' team selection tonight.

I'm very concerned overall, not just with the team selection. This season is looking very, very bad, and the fact that we have won only something like 5 games this calendar year is very troubling.

• Advertisement

worst start in 34 years :eek:

I am very concerned with Ramos' team selection tonight.

Ramos has to take his share of the blame defo, but look at the players same story as last season some of them are just fcuking lazy. Jenas, huddlestone, dawson and lennon are all there long enough to stand up and be counted but they are simply not good enough. I lost count of the amount of times lennon gave the ball away, Jenas only plays well when things are going good and just doesnt have it for this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scall4life

Not sure bout that team selection tonite. Zokora and the Hudd in the middle. Looking like another long season! :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Spurs have a lot od deadwood in their team.

Good keeper despite his mistake

An average right back
    In theory good central defence(King and Woodgat)
    a good left back

Jenas-Spurs level..has good qualities
    Modric-unproven
    dos santos-looked decent
    Bentley-should be good

Bent and Pavlyuchenko are quite one dimensional players in comparison to Keane and Berbatov.

Roman is not far off Keane but not a good enough replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hard luck lads, I thought you were going to nick a point, sadly I don't think you have improved on a year ago when Jol was sacked, if anything the team was better then but there is still quality there I just hope Ramos gets time to turn it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Jaysus that was so bad,very lucky we weren't hit for six tonight.wtf was going on with the team selection.very disappointing to have to watch this shyte from spurs.:mad:

Shocking. Same gameplan. We have 6/7 players in no mans land who can barely string a pass never mind penetrate and then when the other team breaks our defence looks terribly flimsy. We really need someone to run that midfield so that it doesn't become a game of hoof it into a crowded box and hope that one of ours will knock it in.

Disgraceful.

18 odd million on David Bentley and he has'nt once played on the right, his normal position.
    As I have stated several times, Zokora is crap, again tonight he proved it.No defensive midfielder bought in the summer, why ???
    Dawson is rubbish, no centre half bought all summer. Why ???
    Corluka, how bad a debut was that, was hiding the whole 2nd half, surely he's better than that !!
    Huddelstone, still overweight and not mobile enough for the Premiership.

Pav was poor but I certainly wont judge him on tonight,I would'nt have started him to be honest, he'll take time to settle.
    Why was Jenas Bentley and King left out of the starting line up ?? Apart from a half hour for Jenas, none of them have kicked a ball in 2 weeks, rested my bollo*.

Gomes was crap for there 2nd, although I still think he's gonna be a good signing.

Gio looked threatening when he came on, but too little too late.

What did they say, worst start for 34 years, does'nt look good.

The manager is under HUGE pressure. His team looked all over the place for large spells today, aswell as at the Riverside and against Sunderland.

Is it too soon to call for his head ? Im undecided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Joycee

I'm 34 years old and have supported Spurs all my life... and every year I think this time we'll get off to a good start, we've signed some good players and got rid of a lot of driftwood and two traitors.. This is a new low for me because of the manner of three of our defeats to date, we didnt even play nice football. Is it just me or do we resort to the long ball hoof up the field every time Dawson is playing. Only glimmer of hope for me was Dos Santos looked lively when he came on, but I'll be depressed going in to work tomorrow. Wigan at home next Sunday and Pompey away sunday after that. Have a feeling Defoe will be looking forward to that one...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

Modric doesn't seem to have any bottle, a couple of hard tackles and he goes missing.

He just wasn't up for it tonight and didn't seem injured when he wanted to go off.

They looked like a bunch of strangers who just met in the carpark before the match.

Bently couldn't even take a proper corner.

Defense weak, Midfield poor and no proper movement off the ball by our two strikers.

Ramos still doesn't know who his best team is, maybe it will take a while for all the new players to blend in.

Roll on thurs when we can put this right and get back to winning ways.

spurs.gif

Advertisement