Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good car for €5k-€k

Options
  • 12-09-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinkin about upgrding my car in a few months when i save a bit more. I currently drive a 1.4 astra but would like something with a bit more poke, and something fun to drive.

My budget would be around €4000 to €6000. I need something that won't screw me for insurance and running costs.

I'm 21 with full licence and one years NCB.

What would ye recommend? Open to any sort of opinions here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

What would be your preferred line of range for a car. You can get so much for that price range. Would you prefer a hot hatch, a comfy cruiser with poke, etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Mazda MX3? BMW coupe?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I would prefer a hatch I would say. Nice looking coupe is also a possibility.

Civic Sir's seem to be just about within budget, what are peoples oppinion of these?

Most of the BMW coupes within my price raneg seeem to have a fair bit of mileage on them.

Whats the mx3 like to drive?

Not sure to be honest. Here seems to be an FTO for a good price:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/FTO/car/890408/

Will see what else is on the market :)

Would get this one fully checked out:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Celica/VVTI/1046532/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Nice SiR in my sig, belongs to a mate of mine and it's absolutely spotless.

Small bit out of your budget but worth a look.

• Advertisement

Not sure to be honest. Here seems to be an FTO for a good price:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/FTO/car/890408/

Will see what else is on the market :)

Would get this one fully checked out:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Celica/VVTI/1046532/

Ah but that fto isn't the mivec version ;);) It's a possibility...

On the celica I, don't really want the hassle of trying to reg the car after I bought it unless i got it from England myself to be honest

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Ah but that fto isn't the mivec version ;);) It's a possibility...

On the celica I, don't really want the hassle of trying to reg the car after I bought it unless i got it from England myself to be honest

Ah yes, but you didn't want to get screwed for Insurance ;)

Actually, I don't think you'll get lower than €1000 for only 1 year NCB and being 21, even on a 1.4

What are you paying at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

As you Civic Sir's, they are some car, but have to be driven in high revs to get the best of the power.

MR2 n/a also, cheap parts, rare, not hard to insure, good looking, good owners club for advice, plenty of poke and for 4-6k you'd be able to get a very nice rev3 model...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/MR2/car/1098343/

I was 21 when i got mine to so any q's just ask:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

What was your quote on one of those MOG7?
    and how many years NCB did you have?

Wouldn't mind picking one of those up

Ah yes, but you didn't want to get screwed for Insurance ;)

Actually, I don't think you'll get lower than €1000 for only 1 year NCB and being 21, even on a 1.4

What are you paying at the moment?

Yeah I'm paying €1000 at the moment for my astra. I'm budgeting insurance to rise to around €1500 for the new car.

The mr2 looks nice but are they a pain to work on and service seeing as it's mid-engined?

@bigkev49 could you throw up a link here? I cant see any signatures

• Advertisement

ClioV6 wrote: »
    What was your quote on one of those MOG7?
    and how many years NCB did you have?

Wouldn't mind picking one of those up

Last year was €1100 with 3 years ncb, which was pretty good:) Go rev3+ if your getting one, lower miles etc.

The mr2 looks nice but are they a pain to work on and service seeing as it's mid-engined?

Its not really any trouble to service. Will you be doing it yourself? I took the engine out of mine which was pretty straight forward -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055284374

MOG7 wrote: »
    Will you be doing it yourself? [/url]

I would do things like oil + filter changes myself, the basic servicing sort of stuff.

Around how much was your insurance when you were 21? And how much NCB did you have then? (If you dont mind saying. You could PM me if you want)

Is the rev 3 1995 and newer?

It cost me around €1100 when i was 21 with 3 years ncb. We had a meet and drive up the Wicklow gap last weekend, 8 of us, you could of had a good luck at a couple of the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

@bigkev49 could you throw up a link here? I cant see any signatures

SiR Civic 1998

I also know the guy selling this Skyline and it's mint.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    SiR Civic 1998

I also know the guy selling this Skyline and it's mint.

Civic looks mint but it's out of my budget unfortunately. Plus the NCT and tax are pretty much up so theres another few hundred euro that needs to be spent to make it legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 randy-ant

Hey im selling my i.6 lsi civic coupe in 2 weeks!Going getting the clutch done next week along with small few more tings ie servicing it!!its 99 silver full typr r kit 17" ice alloys exhaust and pioneer headunit if ur interested!!advertising for 6k would take 5500 tho;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

MOG7 wrote: »
    As you Civic Sir's, they are some car, but have to be driven in high revs to get the best of the power.

MR2 n/a also, cheap parts, rare, not hard to insure, good looking, good owners club for advice, plenty of poke and for 4-6k you'd be able to get a very nice rev3 model...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/MR2/car/1098343/

I was 21 when i got mine to so any q's just ask:)

even better, ya could always just go for the all out 2 litre turbo version:D

i'm 19 with a full licence and 1 years ncb and have a rev 2 gt turbo mr2 insured legitimately fully comprehensive under my own name no problems

p-nut wrote: »
    even better, ya could always just go for the all out 2 litre turbo version:D

i'm 19 with a full licence and 1 years ncb and have a rev 2 gt turbo mr2 insured legitimately fully comprehensive under my own name no problems

I couldn't afford to run a 2l turbo car to be honest. Who was that with and how much are you paying?
    randy-ant wrote: »
    Hey im selling my i.6 lsi civic coupe in 2 weeks!Going getting the clutch done next week along with small few more tings ie servicing it!!its 99 silver full typr r kit 17" ice alloys exhaust and pioneer headunit if ur interested!!advertising for 6k would take 5500 tho;)

If I get a 1.6 honda it'll probably be a dohc vtec to be honest. Throw up a few pics anyway sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Most of the cars here

The skyline
    The FTO
    The Civic

Are al black listed by insurers. ring for quotes.

Also concider running costs Skylines are not cheap to run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 marktspud

I have a 1998 Nissan 200sx (s14a) 2.0l Turbo Rear Wheel Drive for sale at the mo.

Excellent condition with only 63K miles. Full Nissan Service History and i have just replace the clutch & brakes.

Full leather interior, a/c.

Car is not modified - it is completly standard which is rare for these cars.

Anyway just thought id throw that in there. PM for photos

Oh yeah, its in your price range!

As i said, i wouldn't be able to afford to run a 2l turbo car. A 2l straight would be hard enough.

I've checked quotes on a 200sx touring, sir civic and a mivec fto and got quotes of around €1700 for each one, so i know i can get insured on them.

Just have to continue saving for a while and see can i afford it in a few months. Have a few grand already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 randy-ant

shur see wat u reckon neway

Advertisement