Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dual carrigeways and roundabouts

Options
  • 12-09-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I'm writing in particular about the Limerick bypass, and the roundabout on it near roxboro. However, it applies to all dual carriageways with roundabouts.

How far out is it appropriate to get in lane? When I'm going right at the roundabout, I would tend to get in lane about a mile (ie about 60 seconds) before the roundabout. I would consider it the safest option, since there is generally a 200m tailback from the roundabout (in the right hand lane only), and I don't want to merge into traffic that is actively braking from 60mph to 0 (or merge into stopped traffic, effectively jumping the queue).

I ask because this far out, more than a few drivers view the right hand lane as still being an overtaking lane, and object to me pottering along at 60mph and not moving out of their way. A couple have undertaken me, cutting up traffic in the left lane in the process.

I understand the principle of the overtaking lane, and I don't condone hogging it, but I can't see the problem in this situation. Even if the drivers in question wanted to drive at 100mph, my presence would cost them no more than 5 seconds. Am I in the wrong here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

How far out is it appropriate to get in lane?

I'm afraid it's one of those "common sense applies" situations. A mile sounds a bit long to me, but if you moved out 10 yards from the junction, some tw@t would still cut you up on the inside, so don't worry about it.

How far out do lane markings appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Not having a go at you OP but would a mile away not be a wee bit OTT?? I'd generally move over approx 4/300m (depending on traffic) from the roundabout, just about where the yellow marking across the road surface begin as you approx the roundabout.

1 mile away seems like total over kill to me tbh when you consider a mile is approx 1600 metres. It would depend too i suppose on the queue of traffic at the roundabout but even then unless its a huge queue a mile still seems too much. If other drivers have time to under take you and move back into the overtaking lane then you might be moving out too soon??

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I would usually get into the appropriate lane just where the yellow markings start on that particular road

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In other countries, there would be signage to tell you to get in lane at the appropriate distance. Here...as usual and as with everything ...it's open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

To give a slightly clearer picture to those who don't know the area...

There is a busy slip road a mile before the junction, so lots of traffic merging from the left. I generally move right as I pass it, then pootle along at the limit for 20-30 seconds, at which point it's time to slow down to join the back of the tailback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement