Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cyclocross bike for commuting and fun ?

Options
  • 12-09-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

hi

I am thinking of getting a cyclocross bike for commuting - is it a good idea???
    I love the idea of being able to go off road and go quite fast on the road as well... currently I commute on a Felt Esterel, a hybrid with a suspension fork. It is very sturdy and reliable but sooooo heavy and cannot be bothered to go on a longer ride with it or climb any hill that is not required for getting to work... I also own a road bike, but would not use it for commuting.

As I am quite partial to Felt bikes, I was thinking of this one:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Felt_F1X_2008/5360032885/

but the Focus ones look pretty good too (based on my limited knowledge..)

What do you think, is that a good idea?

any advice would be very welcome!
    many thanks
    sf

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 69 ✭✭douglastubbs

Hi,
    Asked this question on the bikeradar commuting forum the other dat. The Felt was recommended as well as the focus bikes being good value. Also mentioned was lemond poprad, Surly as well as a link to Edinburgh cycles (revolution bike?). I was thinking of getting a specialized tricross (comp or sport) - there's a sport on this forum and evans are selling the comp for about €1,250. Think I'm going to order a focus from Wiggle in the next month. Good luck with your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi,

thanks, good to know I am not the only one out there with this idea... So the guys on bikeradar recommended using a cyclocross for commuting? I guess I should have a look at the forum..

re focus: which one are you thinking of getting? they look cool! but now I am getting a bit confused about models... (btw, I saw the tricross on sale, but it's way too big for me).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 69 ✭✭douglastubbs

Hi,
    Don't know about which focus - probably Focus Mares Expert 2009 but only because it is available mid Oct and want to try non disc brakes for a while.

The question I asked is here.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12585714
    Also, there is a section on cross country under the mountain bike forum if you want to look further.
    Best of luck with your choice

hi douglastubbs,

thanks for the link, I'll have a look.
    good luck with the Focus bike,

cheers
    sf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Technically the Crosscheck is a cross bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alrocket/2853283682/in/set-72157607265926307/

Frame might not be light enough for you folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

I was attracted by the focus mares and corrente .... great looking bikes, and the cayo has a great reputation at least. However, for attachments like mudguards and racks, they seem to be pretty poor. In fact, some of the adverts warn you about the lack of eyelets on the frames.

Trek Portland might be up your street. 2009 model looks great: http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2009/xl/portland_darkmocha.jpg

Trojan, thanks for the link to " my lovely horse", looks cool! and the Trek is a nice one as well. But my Felt F1x is gone!! someone bought the last one in size 53!!! :(
    I am now thinking of the focus cross expert (2008, on sale), and there is a nice trek bike I have set my eyes on on Ebay... Yeah, it is a pain about the mudguards, but I was told that I could use those race blade things. And I don't use racks, so that's not an issue

quite exciting

Cheers, I do love my Surly.

I was just thinking, there's also a Raleigh Sojourn or something like that, might also be suitable, but it's the commuter/light-tourer end of the spectrum, definitely not a CX bike.

hi Trojan,
    thanks for the info, I will have a look at these options, too
    cheers
    sf

(although I am a bit stuck on this whole cyclocross idea. but of course looking at pretty hybrids as well...)

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Think I'm going to order a focus from Wiggle in the next month. Good luck with your choice.

hi,

just to let you know I got mine today - a focus cross expert in size 54. it's amazing, it arrived 99% assembled with tools for the rest. I think the bike is awesome, love the chunky tyres etc. Just make sure that you get the right size. It feels a bit bigger than the other bikes in this size (have to add I cannot get my head around the sizing systems and the all sorts of variables that you have to take into consideration), but the guys at wiggle can advise you.

good luck with the mares (or whatever you go for)
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

What are the mudguards on that Trek Portland? They look cool..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

scaryfairy wrote: »
    ...... I also own a road bike, but would not use it for commuting. ...

Why not. Poor roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

scaryfairy wrote: »
    hi,

just to let you know I got mine today - a focus cross expert in size 54. it's amazing, it arrived 99% assembled with tools for the rest. I think the bike is awesome, love the chunky tyres etc. Just make sure that you get the right size. It feels a bit bigger than the other bikes in this size (have to add I cannot get my head around the sizing systems and the all sorts of variables that you have to take into consideration), but the guys at wiggle can advise you.

good luck with the mares (or whatever you go for)
    cheers
    I'd change the tyres for slicks, cross tyres are designed for grip on grass/mud and are not optimal for tarmac (you will get much better grip on tarmac with slicks as well as them being faster.) I'd say 700x25c would still provide plenty of comfort but if you like something cushier go with 28s or 32s.

BostonB wrote: »
    Why not. Poor roads?
    very poor roads and wanted something sturdier

blorg wrote: »
    I'd change the tyres for slicks, cross tyres are designed for grip on grass/mud and are not optimal for tarmac (you will get much better grip on tarmac with slicks as well as them being faster.) I'd say 700x25c would still provide plenty of comfort but if you like something cushier go with 28s or 32s.

many thanks for the advice, I will see how they perform. I just don't feel very safe in the traffic and on the hills in Cork on very slim tyres, so will def. go for the 32 (I think this is what I got now on my hybrid). I have been riding a very nice, but very heavy bike for about 4 years now, and when I tried this focus it felt like flying :), it's more than enough speed for me for now

Advertisement