Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MadCatz SFIV controllers

Options
  • 12-09-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

Been watching this for the past 1-2 weeks.
    Was extremely skeptical.

Am so glad I was proved wrong!

:eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

*Breathes in* I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it.

What are Madcatz like? Reputation wise I mean. Is that arcade stick likely to falla part after a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Creature wrote:
    What are Madcatz like? Reputation wise I mean. Is that arcade stick likely to falla part after a month?
    These have been created with input from the actual SRK community, so while in the past the answer was "yes", these are (supposedly) much, MUCH better.

Sweet. Well I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're right. I'm loving the top two stick designs, very sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Dunno much about all this arcade stick biz, as I only just recently got into playing fighting games online (SF3). I bought a PS3 pad a few months ago just to play it as it uses USB (I'm a PC gamer)

But I might go the way of the joystick when SFIV comes to PC. But from reading SRK, unlike pads, joysticks seem to be some what of a delicacy ...if you get me.

With people chatting about hori this and japanese V usa that, custom builds and so forth.

Is it really worth going the way of the stick? I get the impression a lot of this is about people replicating their arcade gaming days, of which I have never experienced (only ever played on consoles and emulators for pc)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With an arcade stick it takes a fair bit of getting used to since it's a little easier to do an accidental diagonal, however they are that little bit quicker for pulling off special moves. A good d-pad however like a saturn pad is probably just as good but a big chunky arcade stick feels that much better :)

Playing with the standard Playstation and 360 controllers is not a good idea. Both are absolutely horrendous for fighting games since their d-pads are useless and their analogue sticks are terrible for fighting games. 4 face buttons is also a massive disadvantage for pulling off combos.

• Advertisement

Sticks have their pros and cons alright. Like Retr0gamer said it's easier and quicker to perform moves and combos, however the learning curve is quite harsh. I've been using mine for a couple of years now and I still can't get the dragon punch motion quite right, yet I can pull of 360s (which I could never do with a pad) perfectly. Tbh as someone who tends to gravitate towards charge characters in fighting games eg. Balrog I couldn't imagine going back to using a pad. There's just much more control when using a stick.

Also you don't get the strain in your hands and 'fighter's thumb' that you get with d-pads with arcade sticks.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, some nice hi-res pics of the new peripherals can be seen below:

Stick 1

Stick 2

Stick 3

Control pads

I must say those pads look beautiful, I'm loving the design. Think I'll be getting one of those as well as an arcade stick :). Assuming they're not limited edition and actually get a European release of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not sure about the D-pad design, seems like an unknown quantity sinceI've never seen one like that before. Makes me wonder why they didn't just copy the saturn-esque padsforthe anniversary release.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I saw these on kotaku the other day. I would gladly slay anyone on gods green earth to get my hands on these with a copy of the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not sure about the D-pad design, seems like an unknown quantity sinceI've never seen one like that before. Makes me wonder why they didn't just copy the saturn-esque padsforthe anniversary release.

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. D-pad looks a bit fishy. I'll be very interested in what's said about it from people testing it before I buy one.

I'll be buying it for the PC so I dunno which one I'd go for.. 360 or PS3?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

collector in me...urging me...to buy...all four...controllers...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

FutureGuy wrote: »
    collector in me...urging me...to buy...all four...controllers...:pac:

I want the arcade stick.... now....

If you look closely at the bottom right of the joypad pic, you'll see some rather cool skins for the console too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

D-pads are "prototype stage", nothing's set in stone just yet.
    All that's known is that they hired top fighting game players to design them :)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    D-pads are "prototype stage", nothing's set in stone just yet.
    All that's known is that they hired top fighting game players to design them :)

Now we're talking. Hopefully they'll hire top street fighter players...playing the Tekkens and Virtual Fighters are quite different to playing Street Fighter (QCF for Hadoken etc).

Advertisement