Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay and Display at Bray Dart station

Options
  • 12-09-2008 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I saw this morning that Pay+Display has been implemented at Bray Dart station - it is €2 per day and clamping is in operation. I parked down by the seafront - they can't implement it there as it's not owned by IE but I imagine it's only a matter of time before Bray UDC get in on the act!

The signs and ticket machine seemed to appear out of nowhere! I parked there yesterday and didn't notice anything - mind you I was running in the morning and it was dark when I got home. Anyway, no clamp on the car last night so it's all good...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 and76

Did you not hear about a month ago CIE announcing they are bringing in pay parking in lots of their commuter stations for revenue for "improvements" It includes Gorey and places like Carlow and some north Dublin stations, Bray is also included. Its going to be even more packed down the beach once its implemented, the governments telling us to use public transport and now this goes ahead, ridiculous! i'd prefer the tickets to be increased in price to be honest than paying for parking everyday its less hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭confuddled

and76 wrote: »
    Did you not hear about a month ago CIE announcing they are bringing in pay parking in lots of their commuter stations for revenue for "improvements" It includes Gorey and places like Carlow and some north Dublin stations, Bray is also included. Its going to be even more packed down the beach once its implemented, the governments telling us to use public transport and now this goes ahead, ridiculous! i'd prefer the tickets to be increased in price to be honest than paying for parking everyday its less hassle.

I did hear about it - and it was introduced in the stations north of Dublin 2 weeks ago. However they said they at the time would be bringing it in at various other stations (Bray included) in November. So it's quite a bit early - which is why it took me by surprise!

I don't know how much of an impact it will have on the beach parking as even with the pay+display in place the IE carpark was almost full at 7.15am this morning. Normally it's full at 7ish - but there's only space for about 20 cars in the one by the level crossing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

The parking in Bray is woeful. I just started working here last month and normally park in the DART car park. I can get parking when I'm in at 6.30 but when I'm in work for around 10.30 I cannot find parking anywhere in Bray.

The DART carparks are full, the seafront is full (and much of it is 2 hour parking), the street parking is full (also 2 hours and it actually says that you can't just get another ticket after 2 hours, that they'll clamp you if you don't move streets) I'm a bit at a loss since I live way too far away for public transport. That said, I quite like Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I got a ticket at Bray seafront. I was legally parked!!! I was advised to pay it as I would loose in court! I even have pictures of the car parked legally with the ticket on it :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fishdog wrote: »
    I got a ticket at Bray seafront. I was legally parked!!! I was advised to pay it as I would loose in court! I even have pictures of the car parked legally with the ticket on it :mad::mad::mad:
    Where was it exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Snickerpuss, where in Bray are you working? Lots of cars park in our estate in the mornings (we're at the Shankill end) as there's a good stretch of road that's not directly outside of any houses - plus all the houses have their own driveways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

What reason was given to say that you would lose? I once worked with a guy who was very pedantic about parking which resulted in him getting quite a few tickets but he challenged every single one in court and according to him never lost.

Where was it exactly?
    Hard to explain, but I check very carefully for signs, markings etc.
    What reason was given to say that you would lose?
    I asked a friend that is a cop. He told me that I simply would not be believed. If my story (that is true by the way!) worked, everyone would use my story and lie to get off. Very annoying, but I could not take the risk of loosing in court and I can not take a day off.

Hard to explain, but I check very carefully for signs, markings etc.
    Ah well, that narrows it down a bit. I'll be sure not to park there myself in the future then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Alun wrote: »
    Ah well, that narrows it down a bit. I'll be sure not to park there myself in the future then :rolleyes:

:D

fishdog : I've been parking on the seafront for over 10 years and never got a ticket. I doubt very much if you were parked in a "free parking" space.

The only "free parking" areas on the seafront are :
    • the sea front car park,
    • the spaces outside that car park wall,
    • a long stretch of spaces running from opposite Katie Gallaghers (on the sea wall side) up to a sign that says it's "3 hours only";
    • a smaller stretch of spaces in the centre of the road opposite Katie Gallaghers (but only the ones on the far side of the concrete kerbing);
    • a small number of spaces outside the Hibernian.

• Advertisement

a smaller stretch of spaces in the centre of the road opposite Katie Gallaghers (but only the ones on the far side of the concrete kerbing);
    That is exactly where I was. I made sure I was at the section with no signs and I even have the pictures!

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to see if anyone had any info on the parking situation on Bray seafront...

This morning I noticed some new parking meters (pay-and-display machines) on the Seafront - one is opposite Katy Gallaghers (in that central median) and one around the corner from the Hibernian (opposite the car park). Any ideas what the plans are? Will the carpark become pay-and-display or just on-street parking? Couldn't see any new signs, but didn't have much time to check it out as I was running for the Dart as per usual.

Oops - should have searched before I posted - here's the scoop from braytowncouncil.ie

The carpark is gonna be full from 7am :(

Bray Town Council has introduced Bye Laws for the Control of Parking on Public Roads within the functional area of Bray Town Council which will come into effect on Monday 5th January 2009.

The main changes in terms of time limits are:
    Strand Road – the existing parking on Strand Road will be limited to 3 hour parking (West side South of Quinsboro Road junction for 100m & from the Barracuda Restaurant to Putland Road junction).

Strand Road (North) will remain a 10 hour parking zone.

Quinsboro Road (east of railway to Strand Road) will remain a 10 hour parking zone.

The area in front of “Katie Gallaghers” pub will remain 3 hour and in the vicinity of the “Barracuda Restaurant”, southwards as far as Victoria Avenue the 3 hour zone will be retained.

North Beach car park will remain free of charge and operate on a first come first served basis.

The Car Park at the southern end of Strand Road will remain free of charge also and operate on a first come first served basis.

The charges will be as follows:
    Main Street - €1.50 per hour

All other controlled areas (except Strand Road) - €1.00 per hour

Strand Road - 50 cent per hour.

Hours of Operation:
    Hours of operation between 7.00 am and 7.00 pm Monday to Saturday unless otherwise indicated on the relevant information plate. Parking on Strand Road will be free of charge on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays. The car parks at the northern end and at the southern end of Strand Road will remain free of charge as at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Abrean

Today was my first day working in dublin since november since im usually travelling for work, I've always parked somwhere on the seafront to get the dart and couldnt believe it this morning when I arrived and there were so many free spaces, I wondered what was going on and then I saw the signs - I couldnt believe it!!
    I never know what time I finish at, I could be an hour or I could be ten, it all depends so I ended up having to put in as much money as it would let me to get a ticket up till 7. What exactly do they expect people to do with their cars if they cant afford to spend that on parking every day, for me now to drive in to dublin and park outside the office wouldnt cost that much more, so thats what I'll be doing from now on, well done town council another car on the road instead of off!

Just on a side note - now my little rant is over - where are people parking now, like all those cars that usually would have been parked on the seafront, where are those people parking now? Out of interest?

Just a word of warning, seemingly not only the two CIE car parks at the station are under the control of Pay and Display parking but also the potholed strip of land all along the front of the shops down to the corner at Henry and Roses falls under this too.

I parked outside the closed down recruitment agency there last night to pop into the Chinese in Albert Walk (there weren't any other places free) and by the time I got back some guy from NCP was just after putting a clamp on the car. As he pointed out, there's a sign on the wall just past the end of the shops there, but you'd be hard pushed to notice it as it's a) dark with no street light anywhere near it and b) pretty small. Seemingly although the parking spaces (if you can glorify them with that name!) are CIE property, the shops are private property, so they're not allowed to put up signs there where people might actually see them!

Anyway it appeared I had arrived back within 10 minutes of him putting it on, so he removed it and I went on my way. No idea whether I'll get any kind of fine in the post as well, but I'm assuming/hoping I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Alun wrote:
    Anyway it appeared I had arrived back within 10 minutes of him putting it on, so he removed it and I went on my way. No idea whether I'll get any kind of fine in the post as well, but I'm assuming/hoping I won't.

The NCP guys aren't the same as corpo clampers - I can't see how they could issue you a fine, let alone get your address. Check the motors forum, there's a current thread about the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Alun wrote: »

AFAIK you have 15 minutes of "free" parking in most pay and display areas. This allows you to park the car and go off to get change to pay for parking. Hence why they removed the clamp for you free of charge.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    AFAIK you have 15 minutes of "free" parking in most pay and display areas. This allows you to park the car and go off to get change to pay for parking. Hence why they removed the clamp for you free of charge.
    Yeah, that might have been it. He was quite civil and even a little bit apologetic about it all, I have to say. He'd quite literally just turned the key in the padlock as I turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

next saturday i will coming over to ireland by ferry ,every year i normally park on bray sea front and walk into town to have breakfast is the parking still free on saturdays? i notice that in bray there have been parking changes

getz wrote: »
    next saturday i will coming over to ireland by ferry ,every year i normally park on bray sea front and walk into town to have breakfast is the parking still free on saturdays? i notice that in bray there have been parking changes
    The only free area down on the seafront now as far as I know, is the car park at the very southmost end in front of the amusement arcade. All other areas are pay parking from Monday to Saturday, some with a max of 3hrs, others not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Parked in Strand road North car park this morning at 7am. Notice there's a 10 hour limit on parking which ends at 5pm....wont be back out there from work until about 6pm.....Who wrote that idiotic bye law?! Obviously they don't commute!

Advertisement