Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft roof rack

Options
  • 12-09-2008 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi, looking for a bit of advice on a soft roof rack.

I got a bic soft rack last year- like the one in the below photo.
    It carries the board ok, but it tends to move about a bit especially when I get a bit of speed up (80kmph+). The straps are as tight as I can pull them but the board still lifts a bit and moves back/forward sometimes.

Is there anything (tips please:)) I can do to make it more stable?
    I'm happy enough that the board is secure and isn't going anywhere but the movement wrecks my head a bit... should I just put up with it?

http://www.sailgb.com/p/Bic_Sport_Soft_Roof_Racks/

Thanks,
    Baz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055339280

Try looking in the above thread. Might help

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dutchgoldtony

I had the same problem with my soft rack.
    I got a set of straps and just loop 1 around the front, in addition to the soft rack - this sorts out the problem.

The thread above has some good info on getting the right rack aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

bazarazu wrote: »
    Hi, looking for a bit of advice on a soft roof rack.

I got a bic soft rack last year- like the one in the below photo.
    It carries the board ok, but it tends to move about a bit especially when I get a bit of speed up (80kmph+). The straps are as tight as I can pull them but the board still lifts a bit and moves back/forward sometimes.

Is there anything (tips please:)) I can do to make it more stable?
    I'm happy enough that the board is secure and isn't going anywhere but the movement wrecks my head a bit... should I just put up with it?

http://www.sailgb.com/p/Bic_Sport_Soft_Roof_Racks/

Thanks,
    Baz

i have a similar set and no worries at all with mine.
    Mine has 2 straps, one for the front of the board and one for the back.
    I wrap the back one between the fins on the board and place the strap around the roof of the car at the furthest rear point if the back door.
    The front strap I just wrap normally around the front of the board.
    Make sure you're looping the straps around the board using the loops supplied just above the pad itself where the strap starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

Just wondering about these this morning - do these scratch your car roof at all - I love my car and have now fallen in love with going surfing dont think a real roof rack would suit my car - but Im thinking of getting one of these -
    Would it keep the board and car roof ok for long enough journeys?
    Thanks.

it definitely won't scratch the roof. The pads under mine are about 2 inches thick and they're quite soft too. No chance of scratching.
    There's no issue with long distances either, mine stay tight to the roof no matter how long you drive for.
    The only issue with this is in heavy rain, because the straps come in through the door they can allow a small amount of water to get in in heavy rain, not much though, the worst I say was about half a cupful after a 4hr drive in heavy rain.

• Advertisement

well it sounds like they wont scratch so - however one ting you said there Im wondering about - the fact that they come in around the door frame - maybe this wont work on my car - my doors are frameless.. as in sports frameless windows so I'm not sure if that would work.
    Anyone any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

my motor has frame-less doors too. the soft rack will work but make sure you tighten the crap out of the straps. what length of board do you have and what kind of car? i can fit a 7'9" into my hatchback with the seats let down.

Ya i dont think there is a chance of tat happening it's a 7'8 and it s a mini cooper - note really a great combination!
    I think I'll ask someone for a loan of thier soft racks and give it a try - see i never normally have to carry the board on surf trips myself normally lash it up on to someone elses roof - lucky i know - getting a bit more into it and will head off on my own etc so will need to carry it myself.... thanks for all the info.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

hey i dont think soft roof rack will work on 2 door car..cause i have 2 door was told id need a hard rack....holding off awhile as it fits in the car but will have to get one sooner or later:eek: dont think minis can use hard racks so looks like u need to get ur buddies going more and just use there rack:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

You dont need to have rear doors, rear windows will do. However if your vehicle doesnt even have rear windows then you are right, you need a normal roof rack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

nah iv no rear windows either!!:mad: disaster!!

put the straps in around the boot, this is what i was doing for a while and it worked ok.

elainee wrote: »
    hey i dont think soft roof rack will work on 2 door car..cause i have 2 door was told id need a hard rack....holding off awhile as it fits in the car but will have to get one sooner or later:eek: dont think minis can use hard racks so looks like u need to get ur buddies going more and just use there rack:D
    Whoever told you 2-door cars can't have soft racks is talking through their anus.
    I had one on my 2-door Astra for 2 yrs without any bother, just strapped the rear strap through the top of the boot door. No probs.
    Get the loan of one or just buy one, ~30euro, I don't think there's any issue with any car, the straps are quite light and can wrap around anything.
    Great thing too is you don't have to leave them on of course and you can reuse them on any car when you change or whatever

they were probably covering their ass.

its not the ideal way to be fair, when you are taking the straps off it may be worth taking a quick examination for wear where the straps were in contact with the boot door hinges. better safe then sorry and all that...

Advertisement