Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Mans Land

Options
  • 12-09-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

I was at the Play "No mans land" in the Gate last night. I didn't have a clue what the play was about, just decided to book it! Now, I'm an illiterate genius so this play was probably not to my standards. The first half seemed to be just one massive monologue delivered by the character spooner. The interval couldn't come fast enough where I had a cool refreshing pint waiting for me. After the interval the play really sprang into action for about 15 mins with Spooner and Hirst (Gambon - pure class performance) taking the piss out of eachother. fair funny stuff. then it kind of fizzled out again and the play closed with a monolgue from spooner again and the line "This is No mans" land.

It's really a kind of play that you could study relentlessly, overall I was glad I had a few pints. RTE have more info here http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0828/nomansland.html

What did everyone else think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

It's a tricky one. I spotted this in after hours and then it was moved and im too lazy to move my mouse up to the "back" button. So I'm going to say it's an ecumenical matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

I couldn't get tickets. Is David Walliams any good in it? I really wanted to see him playing a serious role.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

whoppa wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was at the Play "No mans land" in the Gate last night. I didn't have a clue what the play was about, just decided to book it! Now, I'm an illiterate genius so this play was probably not to my standards. The first half seemed to be just one massive monologue delivered by the character spooner. The interval couldn't come fast enough where I had a cool refreshing pint waiting for me. After the interval the play really sprang into action for about 15 mins with Spooner and Hirst (Gambon - pure class performance) taking the piss out of eachother. fair funny stuff. then it kind of fizzled out again and the play closed with a monolgue from spooner again and the line "This is No mans" land.

It's really a kind of play that you could study relentlessly, overall I was glad I had a few pints. RTE have more info here http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0828/nomansland.html

What did everyone else think?

I'd say Happy Days would be one to pass on as well. Even Pinter admits he has no idea what he was on about as did Gambon on the Late Late. But then again you'd hardly expect Pinter to go to the trouble of adding a coherent storyline as well. It is really more of a stream of consciousness and some very loose disjointed ramblings down memory lane. Beyond the suggestion of Hirst having some form of dementia there are only half-hints as to what the others were doing there.

Walliams and Nick Dunning play their parts well enough. Michael Gambon and David Bradley are superb. Very much the type of thing where you just go with whatever you think it is and enjoy the excellent acting and the wonderful use of language in the exchanges.

Personally loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Was desperate to see Gambon in this. Sold out :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement