Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any coconut cake/coookie recipie with no added fat?

• 12-09-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking to make cake or buscuits with coconut & oat flour. I would prefer not to use any additional oil/marg/butter, since coconut is about 65% fat I figure it should have enough anyway.

Any recipies out there? or can you just give me standard proportions for ratios in weight (not volume) for cakes & buscuits.

e.g. 100g fat, 100g sugar, 100g flour, 2 eggs as a basic cake.

Since there will be added "non-fats" in the coconut I may have to adjust things, seems to be 7% sugar 16% fibre, 7% protein.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't be so sure that the dried coconut has anywhere near the 65% fat that a whole coconut has.
    I guess if you bought a "fresh" nut and grated it yourself(hard without the proper equipment) it might be close to 60% fat.
    I think they remove an awful lot of the water/oil from dessicated coconut in the drying process.
    Coconut oil is worth money and most people don't want it coming free with the dried flesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure that the dried coconut has anywhere near the 65% fat that a whole coconut has.
    It says that on the packs of dessicated coconut I have, I actually have coconut flour so it would be less grainy and probably release the fat easier. Since the fat is solid the dessicated coconut does not appear to be oily.

I guess if you bought a "fresh" nut and grated it yourself(hard without the proper equipment) it might be close to 60% fat.
    Acutally it would be less, since a large percentage would be taken up by the water.
    Coconut oil is worth money and most people don't want it coming free with the dried flesh.
    Coconut oil does cost a huge amount, and is meant to be very healthy for eating and cooking. 65g/ml of oil would cost a lot more than 100g of dessicated coconut, plus I do like the taste of coconut, while many buy the oil for health benefits without the taste. I was thinking of cooking with coconut oil instead of butter/marg, but it costs way too much.

I did think the same as yourself, that they would be pressing the oil out and selling it separate, it must be hard to process or something, and hence the high price, or possibly just economies of scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You could make flapjacks and add some desiccated coconut, and/or coconut essence (available in the chinese shop on South Great George's St.). For this recipe you could use honey instead of the golden syrup and add some ground cinnamon. If it's as a healthy snack, you could also add protein powder to increase the protein %. If you want absolutely minimal fat, you could make an angel food cake. Again you could add protein powder to this too.

Advertisement