Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

huskies

Options
  • 12-09-2008 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

seen a few threads about huskies now and i see a few of them about. question is does anyone work them?
    i know in england they have races around mountain tracks with the dogs pulling sleds on wheels. it would be a great way of keeping your huskies fit and work will stop them getting restless, cos i reckon no amount of walking would tire one of them out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

whitser wrote: »
    seen a few threads about huskies now and i see a few of them about. question is does anyone work them?
    i know in england they have races around mountain tracks with the dogs pulling sleds on wheels. it would be a great way of keeping your huskies fit and work will stop them getting restless, cos i reckon no amount of walking would tire one of them out.

its always great to see a dog doing what he has been bred for. when i lived in new york a man down the road had a rottie. when her went shopping or even went for a walk, he attached his cart to his rottie and put all his shopping and bits and pieces in the cart and let the dog cart them along. when he took him for a walk, he attached the cart to him also and let his elderly terrier sit in it so he could get the fresh air aswell. he even went as far on halloween day and night that he walked the roads with the dog and cart, filled with treats for the kids. i'l never forget it and i always regret never taking a picture all the times i greeted him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

i'd say even 2 would pull you if you had a little light trap with wheels on it. when i do road work the hounds they do be pulling me along on the bike.
    if i kept 2 huskies i'd be looking into getting a trap and harness from somewhere. talk about carbon nuetral travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

This is something i would love to try with my Akita's. They are only gone 1 so i would still wait maybe another 6 months or so before putting them under that kind of strain. But they are fierce strong, with huge paws and a lot of upper body strenght.

Probably not as big as huskies. The last one i seen was at a training class. He was 6 months old and just a monster. Legs like tree trunks.

I saw on another dog site someone in Ireland using a kind of scooter thing you can buy for dogs. He had some husky type dogs pulling him.

Definetly a great way to tire dogs out while giving them a job they could enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

My lab-cross has pulled my son on his rollerblades. (a la Cesar Milan) We got some strange looks that day. Both had a good time though. (except for dog going too fast when he saw another dog!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had the pleasure, or rather privilege, of being in charge of a sled and a team of 6 Alaskan huskies for a week in Northern Sweden last year ... a fantastic experience, and one that I'd love to repeat (when my bank account has recovered!) Those dogs are just born to run, and despite being tough working dogs, are as soft and friendly as they come.

Over here, and especially if you only have one dog, you might want to try this ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_scootering Looks like great fun to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

There's a guy around the corner from my girlfriend who has his 2 malamutes pulling a sled down the road. It's hilarious seeing him do it but the dogs are very content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

LovelyTom wrote: »
    There's a guy around the corner from my girlfriend who has his 2 malamutes pulling a sled down the road. It's hilarious seeing him do it but the dogs are very content.

Is it this guy http://www.ironmountainmalamutes.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Discostuy wrote: »
    Probably not as big as huskies. The last one i seen was at a training class. He was 6 months old and just a monster. Legs like tree trunks.

Are you sure it wasn't a Malamute? Huskies are actually quite slight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Could well have been a malamute....I'll have to go off now and google the different breeds and find out the differences :o

Advertisement