Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair Play Roy!

• 12-09-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

Sunderland boss Roy Keane has fired a withering blast at Fifa vice-president Jack Warner by branding him "a clown".

Warner, a special advisor to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation, wrote to Keane this week to accuse him of "insensitivity and disrespect" after midfielder Dwight Yorke was withdrawn from the squad to face the United States in a World Cup qualifier on Wednesday.

But the furious Irishman, who was unhappy that the letter had been leaked to the media, called him to tell him exactly what he thought, and his contempt has apparently grown during the ensuing days.

Keane, who revealed Warner has never tried to contact him about striker Kenwyne Jones, who suffered knee ligament damage playing for his country in a friendly against England in June, said: "It's just ridiculous. This clown is writing letters through the media.

"I spoke to Yorkie, who has officially retired a number of times. He is 36, and if they are depending on a 36-year-old to get them through to the World Cup in two years...

"I spoke to the man on Wednesday myself and I told him exactly what I thought about him.

"He has not once called or dropped a letter about Kenwyne.

"Carlos Edwards was over and has played a couple of games for them - Carlos was selected last year when he had a broken leg.

"He is probably a small man and he has got this 'Small-Man Syndrome'. The world is against him.

"If he is writing a letter representing Trinidad, why is he putting it under Fifa?

"If he is vice-president - and remember, he is vice-president, he is not president yet - God help us.

"People worry about the game and agents and directors of football and managers losing their jobs - we should be worried about people like him."

Yorke, who can also expect a rocket from his club manager, captained his country in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Guatemala in Port of Spain, but was missing when they lost 3-0 to USA in Chicago four days later.

However, Keane, who insisted he has never prevented a player from linking up with his country, was adamant he has an arrangement with his former Manchester United team-mate.

He said: "Kenwyne got injured playing in a friendly. I don't know what deal was going on with England that time, obviously a deal for (World Cup) votes or whatever.

"Kenwyne injured his knee even though he had broken his wrist in the last game for us and I was pretty sure he wasn't available.

"Then I saw Yorkie coming on for a 20-minute cameo appearance. Yorkie is 36 bloody years of age - I'm blaming him anyway.

"He's a clown as well. You retire and then on an ego trip...

"He has not played in the Premier League since he busted his cheekbone [in pre-season], and he goes over and he played the first game, 90 minutes.

"He couldn't play Saturday, Wednesday and then try to get involved for us on Saturday, no chance, absolutely no chance.

"If I had known that, he probably wouldn't have got another year's contract from me.

"You have got to prioritise certain things at his age.

"All my other eight or nine players who were away, no problem. They have all been selected for every friendly match - I have never, ever once spoken to one of my players about missing a game, never.

"Certain managers do - certain managers look after certain national teams, I know that.

"The man (Warner) is a clown."

Whether Yorke makes the squad for tomorrow's Barclays Premier League trip to Wigan remains to be seen as Keane and his players attempt to avenge their 3-0 defeat at the JJB Stadium last season, and bounce back from their mauling by the same score on their own turf by Manchester City last time out.

Recent signings Anton Ferdinand and George McCartney could be included, but Edwards is unlikely to figure after his gruelling trip to the Caribbean, while skipper Dean Whitehead is struggling with a hip injury.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/furious-keane-launches-jack-attack-927968.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7612358.stm

u can see roy's interview here...legend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

wrote to Keane this week to accuse him of "insensitivity and disrespect"

What? Our Roy............never. Sure you could tell him AAAAAAnnnnyyyyyything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

<3 it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You can understand his anger. However, I feel that he has somewhat undone his exemplary record to date by this public outburst. Those who never liked him as a player and expected him to be a hot-headed, reactionary manager must feel justified. I wonder will we see a few 'Mad Roy' articles popping up in the gutter press now?

As a side note, I am a little confused as to why he is so angry at Yorke. Yes, he has 'retired' on a number of occasions, but I always thought that his appearances would be limited to a handful of games. Even now, with a couple of CMs out or doubtful for the Wigan game, you would imagine that the likes of Leadbitter would be chosen ahead of Yorke.

Still, eat that, Warner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I was expecting this to be over the top statement and that I'd reply with "Keane was wrong to say that"

But it wasnt. Well said Keano.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Trilla wrote: »
    I was expecting this to be over the top statement and that I'd reply with "Keane was wrong to say that"

But it wasnt. Well said Keano.

Have to agree. I think he was composed, probably seething:), but he made a composed statement. Something I always liked about Keane, still do, is that he is honest to himself. There does not seem to be games played etc. Its just, 'I feel this way, deal with it'. Reading his book, he cetainly seems to have some 'issues', but overall, he's one of my favouite personalities in the crazy world of professional football.

As for Jack Warner, feckin clown:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Well said Keano!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well said Roy. There's no way he should let Warner get away with that and he did not! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mr. X wrote: »
    : "It's just ridiculous. This clown is writing letters through the media.

Without a hint of irony.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

legend!

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Without a hint of irony.....

Well, I think that he is entitled to defend himself after Warner chose to make the matter public. I wonder do you actually have to be prone to undiplomatic gaffs to work in FIFA? Warner and Blatter are like the Laurel and Hardy of that organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I love you Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Did you guys just hear the reply to Keane's letter on SSN?
    "Maybe you were happy abdoning your team in 2002 after abusing your manager...."

My god it is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

noodler wrote: »
    Did you guys just hear the reply to Keane's letter on SSN?
    "Maybe you were happy abdoning your team in 2002 after abusing your manager...."

My god it is on.
    Yeah heard that! :D Tough words indeed!

I'm sure Roy is too mature to get into a fight nowadays ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Have ye seen the response from Warner? LOL!! - (a bit more detail. Missed earlier posts.)

From RTE.IE

The war of words between Roy Keane and Jack Warner has intensified with the FIFA vice-president making a personal attack on the Sunderland manager and refrencing the Saipan incident, after the Irishman had called him 'a clown'.

Warner is special advisor to the Trinidad and Tobago FA and incurred Keane's wrath for criticising his decision to withdraw Dwight Yorke from international duty.

The Sunderland boss described Warner as 'a clown' and said: 'If he is vice-president of FIFA, then God help us', and suggested he wrote letters on FIFA-headed writing paper 'just to impress everybody'.

Now Warner has retaliated with a new letter attacking Keane - and making a dig about his own conduct in walking out on the Republic of Ireland before the 2002 World Cup.

Today's letter says: 'The disrespectful tone of your reported comments further demonstrates the total disrespect that you and others of your ilk have generally for players and officials from "small" countries.

'It is obviously difficult for you to accept the fact that someone from a "small" country could rise to become a vice-president of FIFA.

'I chose to respond on a FIFA letter-head because that is a privilege afforded me owing to my said status and the fact that your callousness showed utter disregard for FIFA's regulations re the release of players for international duty. Regrettably, but not surprisingly, you did not grasp the message.

'In closing may I remind you that a player's greatest honour is to represent his country in spite of the fact that you chose to walk away from yours during the 2002 Korea/Japan World Cup after publicly abusing your manager... indictment that you will no doubt be proud of up to today. Poor Sunderland.'

What?? did the letter actually say that? from Fifa? that is very very unprofessional of them dont ya think!

Im not getting int othe whole debate about whether he did or did not abandon his country, sensible people know the truth :D

But i think its wrong for Fifa to try fan the flames of this dispute rather then cool it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Warner should make a few posts here, although he is a shady bollox. Remember that Panorama documentary on him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's not FIFA. It's Warner.

Bloody brilliant. This has made my weekend. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pretty disgraceful behaviour from the vice president of such a prestigious organisation for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

It's not FIFA. It's Warner.

Bloody brilliant. This has made my weekend. :D

Warner(speaking on his own behalf but): who is a representative of fifa.

• Advertisement

Oh my! He's really fixated on the 'small' country thing. I expect him to chip in with the "is it coz I iz black?" line next. Warner sounds like a tool.

hes a clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm up for Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Warner's a corrupt power-mad c*nt of the highest order. if you want proof of this see this website, it's the homepage of Andrew Jennings, the reporter who wrote the book and made the famous panorama documentary on Warner and Blatter's corruption and who is now blacklisted by FIFA. the panorama documentary is a few years old now, but still very much worth a look; it's scary to think what they got away with really.

Hopefully this public outburst by Warner will make other associations more reluctant to back him in the future, although i doubt this somehow, brown envelopes seem to be the main method of conducting business there still.

have to say though, Roy has handled this quite badly and drawn unnecessary attention to himself. remember Warner is still the second most powerful man in world football, and i'm sure those in Sunderland wont be happy with his outburst. this will hopefully create a few more headlines before it fizzles out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Little Jack Warner sat in the corner
    Eating his humble pie,
    He put in his thumb and pulled out a plum
    And said "What a right langer am I!"

God on Roy for sticking it to this wally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

ziggy wrote: »

:D Well said mate.

Keane didn't want to represent his country, and Yorke did. He's never stopped a player linking up for internation duty, but he's going to have a rant at Yorke for doing just that. Maybe Keane is bitter because he knows he made the wrong decision in 2002.

Delighted with the message Warner sent back to him (although very unprofessional).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You can understand his anger. However, I feel that he has somewhat undone his exemplary record to date by this public outburst. Those who never liked him as a player and expected him to be a hot-headed, reactionary manager must feel justified. I wonder will we see a few 'Mad Roy' articles popping up in the gutter press now?

They probably also suffer from small man syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭terry mac

If the lads wanted to play for their country, who is Keane to stop them. It shows what Keane really thinks of international football in general when he can't comprehend what a player is doing play internationals at 36.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Warner's a corrupt power-mad c*nt of the highest order. if you want proof of this see this website, it's the homepage of Andrew Jennings, the reporter who wrote the book and made the famous panorama documentary on Warner and Blatter's corruption and who is now blacklisted by FIFA. the panorama documentary is a few years old now, but still very much worth a look; it's scary to think what they got away with really.

Hopefully this public outburst by Warner will make other associations more reluctant to back him in the future, although i doubt this somehow, brown envelopes seem to be the main method of conducting business there still.

have to say though, Roy has handled this quite badly and drawn unnecessary attention to himself. remember Warner is still the second most powerful man in world football, and i'm sure those in Sunderland wont be happy with his outburst. this will hopefully create a few more headlines before it fizzles out :)

Yes Jack Warner is the most corrupt official in FIFA and thats saying something. Bill Archer at bigsoccer.com has some interesting writings on him:
    http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=1932
    http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=1142
    http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=1152
    http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=498

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Lol. Roy Keane calling someone else a clown.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Seems its running since March, Im guessing he didnt like being called English

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=1029177

SUNDERLAND, England (AP) – Sunderland boss Roy Keane has been warned not to try to stop Carlos Edwards and Kenwyne Jones playing for Trinidad and Tobago in a few weeks.

He questioned the selection of Edwards for a friendly in Jamaica on March 27, with the winger having been out of action with a broken leg since December.

Edwards is close to a returning, with the midweek reserve game against Manchester United being lined up for his comeback, but Keane feels he should not be made to travel for his country’s friendly.

“I’m surprised Carlos has been called up,” Keane said.

“He’s played one, two games in the last seven, eight, nine months. Maybe I need to make a call to their manager. Maybe they’re not aware of that.”

Trinidad and Tobago’s friendly in Kingston also falls just two days before Sunderland’s crucial Barclays Premier League home clash with West Ham.

Keane also would be reluctant to release star striker Jones, saying: “We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.”

But FIFA vice–president and Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation special advisor Jack Warner said: “Maybe Keane needs to be reminded of the FIFA rules on matters like this one.

“Had it been an African country, of any size, he would not even have contemplated any battle of any kind.

“It tells you of the contempt a few English coaches continue to have for the countries in the Caribbean, especially a country like Trinidad and Tobago.

“Like Keane, Trinidad and Tobago will no doubt cross the Edwards bridge when it comes to it.”

Edwards has yet to play for the Trinis under new head coach Francisco Maturana and the Colombian is keen to have both the former Luton star and Jones in the fold ahead of his side’s World Cup qualifiers.

“It is important that we have these players involved in some form in the preparations from as early as possible,” Maturana said.

“The game against Jamaica is important which is why we have to also have a player like Kenwyne Jones involved.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

terry mac wrote: »
    If the lads wanted to play for their country, who is Keane to stop them.

Yorke hasn't been fit. Sunderland pay his wages. Keane didn't want him going. He went anyway, as its the players decision.
    It shows what Keane really thinks of international football in general

Can you cite a performance where keane showed what he 'really' thought of international football?
    when he can't comprehend what a player is doing play internationals at 36.

He's obviously p1ssed off, but his point is they are reliant on a 36 year old who will be 39/39 come the WC. Thats not the issue anyhoo. Its more the fifa guy going public and being very unprofessional. I'm sure Keane wouldn't have said anything, only for that 'clown' going public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Everybody, hush now. It's fanboy time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What sort of muppet with such a high ranking job in world football sends an open letter to the media, what did he think would happen? He should be fired immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Boggles wrote: »
    What sort of muppet with such a high ranking job in world football sends an open letter to the media, what did he think would happen? He should be fired immediately.

Probably the least corrupt thing hes ever done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Anyone else think it is hilarious that Keane and Warner are fighting over a 36 year old reserve team player who hasn't really been noteworthy in 5-6 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

keane was right jack warner is a clown and a disgrace:

Corruption:
    Black market ticket sales
    Warner has been accused of corruption on BBC's Panorama for repeatedly taking advantage of his position for financial gain. FIFA's auditors, Ernst & Young, estimated that his family made a profit of at least $1 million from reselling 2006 World Cup tickets that Warner had ordered.
    Minutes of FIFA’s executive committee indicate that a fine of almost $1 million, equal to the expected profiteering, was imposed on the family. Despite numerous reminders from FIFA, only $250,000 has been paid.

Request for personal payments

After Trinidad and Tobago visited Scotland for the friendly match on May 30, 2004 at Easter Road, Jack Warner asked SFA President John McBeth for the cheque for the game to be made out to him personally and not the FA of Trinidad and Tobago. McBeth refused to issue the cheque to Warner. Warner also approached several members of staff at the Scottish Football Association in an attempt to get the money due to the T&T FA.

warner is one of the most corrupt people in football...he told the trinidad players after the world cup that they only made a profit of aronud $5m, and that this profit would be divided among the players as a bonus, as agreed before the world cup....it then transpired that trinidad made over $100m profit... Warner wanted to pocket the $95m difference...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I generally can't stand Keane but he is dead right here. Warner is dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

GuanYin wrote: »
    Anyone else think it is hilarious that Keane and Warner are fighting over a 36 year old reserve team player who hasn't really been noteworthy in 5-6 years?

not really. i think this type of sh*t is very bad for the game. I find it entertaining, more in the manner it's being conducted, but overall it does not bode well. Warner in particular should have nothing to do with the day to day affairs of the TTFF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

terry mac wrote: »
    If the lads wanted to play for their country, who is Keane to stop them. It shows what Keane really thinks of international football in general when he can't comprehend what a player is doing play internationals at 36.
    Check the facts again.

Warner is a complete muppet.

WP Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

GuanYin wrote: »

Nope.

"The man's a clown. He's a clown."

<3 Keano.

Hate SundIreland though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

'In closing may I remind you that a player's greatest honour is to represent his country in spite of the fact that you chose to walk away from yours during the 2002 Korea/Japan World Cup after publicly abusing your manager... indictment that you will no doubt be proud of up to today.'

I may have a new quote for my sig.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Haha, the whiny little cark traitor gets put in his place.

CiaranC wrote: »
    How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

CiaranC wrote: »

Yeap. For all his talk that's the thing he'll be best known for in his career.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Yeap. For all his talk that's the thing he'll be best known for in his career.:)

Only for small man syndrome bitters;)

EDIT: well said ^^ :pac:
    gixerfixer wrote: »
    Pretty stupid tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement