Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New laptop, no installation disc in packaging!

• 12-09-2008 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Should this not have been in the packaging in case I ever need to reinstall Vista? It's a brand new Acer laptop with service pack 2 and Vista Home Premium in case this is important.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There is probably a restore partition on the hard drive if you need to do a reinstall/ restore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nobody is shipping repair discs these days. The issue being it made operating systems too easy to pirate and redistribute. Instead there is a backup partition on your hard drive, and you can burn a disc of this that is only configured to work with that hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 dubfir

I think shift and f10 when ur rebooting brings u to the option to reinstall/repair on Acers laptops/pcs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I thought that they were shipping the Vista discs so that you could easily upgrade to a different version of vista if required. I know I got a disc with my laptop about a year ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it varies but from some of the HOME vista laptops I've looked at didn't have disks

Advent (PC world) you get ONE chance to make a recovery disk , after that the app deletes the DVD.iso file - Hint back it up first ;)

HP iirc give you 100 days to make the recovery disk

Toshiba and Sony don't give you an option to make a recovery disk , so if the hard drive dies it's game over otherwise if the registry becomes too corrupt to run system restore then your only option is wipe the drive and loose all your data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Dell ship Vista discs with all the computers they ship with it installed.

They tried the recovery partition only for a while but they seem to have abandoned it as it mustn't have been very popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 strjms72

because not so many people know about this, nor are able to find this feature. i find it stupid too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

strjms72 wrote: »
    because not so many people know about this, nor are able to find this feature. i find it stupid too
    It's stupid because between 1% - 3% of hard drives die each year
    And even if they were as reliable as the best brands were back in the late 1980's it's still stupid because a registry problem will mean game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The HP bloatware alerts you to burn a recovery DVD when you get your computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

it varies but from some of the HOME vista laptops I've looked at didn't have disks

Advent (PC world) you get ONE chance to make a recovery disk , after that the app deletes the DVD.iso file - Hint back it up first ;)

HP iirc give you 100 days to make the recovery disk

Toshiba and Sony don't give you an option to make a recovery disk , so if the hard drive dies it's game over otherwise if the registry becomes too corrupt to run system restore then your only option is wipe the drive and loose all your data

Are you sure that Sony dont do this anymore?I know for a fact that they used to as i created quite a few.

• Advertisement

jackncoke wrote: »
    Are you sure that Sony dont do this anymore?I know for a fact that they used to as i created quite a few.
    maybe they now ship vista media, but they used to just give you an image that deletes the partitions on your hard drive and deletes any data , software and settings you may have had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i requested some cd's from dell via online chat support and recieved them in a few days free of charge.

Advertisement