Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pick me a car boardsies....

Options
  • 12-09-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

Right heres what i would like :

1.8-2 litre (can go to 2.5 if its diesel)
    automatic
    saloon or 4x4
    full leather
    aircon minimum (climate control preffered)
    inbuilt navigation or a single/double DIN radio
    not an old man car but not something so sporty gards will pull me over for.
    very reliable even after 90-120k miles on it
    10k or under
    no fiat/renault/other italian....

if anyone has any suggestions i would much appreciate

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah i was lookin at one of those, a maxima QX and a lexus IS200, the estate is fugly and reminds me of a herse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gman086

stay away from the maxima it's all noise and no power. old merc, beamer good cars but nothing on the 2 litre toyota carina, they go for ever and have everything ye want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

something similar to this, I would say

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A6/2.5-TDI/1172700/

• Advertisement

really, damn i like the interior of the maxima :( , anyone got comments about the is200 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have only ever seen 1 estate IS200 in Ireland.

I have driven the IS200 saloon version and I quite liked it but there is only room in the back for two.

I would go with something like the A6 that peasant suggested. If space isn't that much of an issue maybe a VRS TDi Octavia? Great fun to drive.

EDIT: Now that I think of it it was actually a Toyota Altezza that I drove, same as the IS200 only with a Yamaha Beams engine and this one had a TRD differential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

very reliable even after 90-120k miles on it
    that really means motorway miles - ie a uk import. though all cars will be showing wear at that mileage and will be needing a few new parts - but the japanese will probably need less than the rest

the maxima is a grand - understated, reliable, very cheap and well specced - friend taxis in one and has no problems with it as far as i'm aware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

gman086 wrote: »
    stay away from the maxima it's all noise and no power. old merc, beamer good cars but nothing on the 2 litre toyota carina, they go for ever and have everything ye want.

You were spouting crap over on the aviation forum too. Maxima all noise and no power? You didn't even mention which engine you were referring to! And a Maxima 2 litre V6 petrol would pull a 2 litre Carina backwards up the road. Go away with your rubbish talk.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I would go with something like the A6 that peasant suggested. If space isn't that much of an issue maybe a VRS TDi Octavia? Great fun to drive.

They'll be at least twice his budget of 10k.
    OP Mondeo estate?

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    You were spouting crap over on the aviation forum too. Maxima all noise and no power? You didn't even mention which engine you were referring to! And a Maxima 2 litre V6 petrol would pull a 2 litre Carina backwards up the road. Go away with your rubbish talk.

thats the one im going for, and im going to test drive it, make up my own mind, does anyone know what the fuel consumption and reliability is like on it ??? also i assume the v6 puts out one hell of a purr

thats the one im going for, and im going to test drive it, make up my own mind, does anyone know what the fuel consumption and reliability is like on it ??? also i assume the v6 puts out one hell of a purr

I think a little below 30mpg. The V6 sounds a lot better than I4's do anyway. Reliability is fairly good on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

What year are you hoping for? Are you only looking at 4x4s and estates? Your original post says saloons too?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Definately try the Maxima, the above derogitary comments are way wide of the mark. the V6 is silky smooth.

My choice would be this Galant 2.0 Avance. it is auto, has satnav, cruise control, climatre control etc, looks very aggressive, and only has 65000 miles. The INVECS gearbox is brilliant.
    1138931_20080718060752_4.jpg

It doesn't have leather, but you could get a company like Cartronics to fit a complete new leather interior and still be well under budget.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Galant/AvanceSport-Edition/1138931/

These cars are ultra reliable too. (I'm not selling this car by the way, just noticed it!)

not looking for an estate lads (but if theres one that doesnt look like a herse ill look) also nice on the galant,

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Biro wrote: »

He has a point though. The 2 litre V6 petrol auto (the only one the OP would be interested in) does 0-100km/h in over 14 seconds. That's pretty slow in my book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Mazda 6. Looks good drives well and reliable.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda6/2.0-SPORTS/1147361/

unkel wrote: »
    He has a point though. The 2 litre V6 petrol auto (the only one the OP would be interested in) does 0-100km/h in over 14 seconds. That's pretty slow in my book
    The manual would be under 10.

Mazda 6. Looks good drives well and reliable.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda6/2.0-SPORTS/1147361/

Nice car, But that hasn't an auto box, hasn't leather, hasn't satnav, hasn't a DIN or double DIN box....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nice car, But that hasn't an auto box, hasn't leather, hasn't satnav, hasn't a DIN or double DIN box....

I don't read the question in my exams either! :D

the legacy is lookin nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Go get a test drive in one, the power will suprise you and the insurance wont kill u either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Saab 9-3

Saab 9-5

Neither have Sat-Nav. Buy yourself a Garmin ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

I Have Audi A6 1999 1.8 petrol for over a year and no problems with it;
    i get about 34mpg which is ok for a big car and it looks ok,plenty of room inside and nice to drive with a huge boot.
    GOOD LUCK wih your choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

unkel wrote: »
    that'd be the gearbox

im now torn between the maxima and a saab 9-5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

more spamming.
    steal of a car below if u decide to buy quickly. Normal rate around 8k. Looks good, drives better. Subtle looking, but lots of power. Very reliable.

jimbling wrote: »
    more spamming.
    steal of a car below if u decide to buy quickly. Normal rate around 8k. Looks good, drives better. Subtle looking, but lots of power. Very reliable.
    Just because you admit to spamming doesn't make constantly pimping your car at every opportunity acceptable. This is at least the third time it's happened. We'd all like free advertising, but you're already getting that on adverts.ie and on your sig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just because you admit to spamming doesn't make constantly pimping your car at every opportunity acceptable. This is at least the third time it's happened. We'd all like free advertising, but you're already getting that on adverts.ie and on your sig.

to be fair, the only ones I've done it in are threads specifically asking about cars to buy around the right price range. Think that's relatively fair....

And im also in a position that the sale needs to go through tonight/tom morning or I trade it in for another model car (as long as its not sold from under my feet). I'm on boards years and have sold lots of items... never spammed.

Advertisement