Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passatt CC - Any Feedback

Options
  • 12-09-2008 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Am considering a new Passatt CC for Jan 09
    Have had a look at one in showroom and waiting for testdrive to be organized.

Looks really good (to me), seems to have plenty of room and comfort etc.

The 2.0 TDI 140 bhp seems to be priced ok and is group C on road tax.

I know they are newish out etc but has anyone had any experience of them as to whether they are a good buy or not (I do know that there are some fairly gross interior colour options such as the black and cream combo that looks like a moo cow and the orangy brown leather that is like a squished cat - but you can assume that I will avoid those)

Main concern is that a lot of overstyled cars seem to date fairly quickly (eg honda civic) and would I be left in 2 years with something hard to move on.

Anyway appreciate any feedback (positive or negative) to help with decision as I don't want to be stuck with a pig for a couple of years

P.S. Trade in is a 07 S40 1.8 SE Flexifuel c/w winterpack (bi-xenons, heated seats, headlamp wash) with 39,000km in black with cream leather.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

A bit pricey but I saw one on the road last week they are very good looking.

Hopefully they will have a better build quality rep that the current Passat.

A good SH car after they have shed a few thousand Euro. They are priced way too close to the segment leaders i.e the A4 & 3 series but they won't keep the same residual values after 3 years (IMHO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

It a Rep Mobile...........hang up your shirts in the back and you'll look like a travelling insulation sales person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 big mug of T

Thanks VICTOR - I believe that this is to be built in the Dresden "glassfactory" plant where Phaeton and Bently come from

Thanks for the opinion NICEIRISH - what would you suggest instead (since I do not work as a rep)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

It a Rep Mobile...........hang up your shirts in the back and you'll look like a travelling insulation sales person.

pmsl!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd say it will hold its value as well if not a little better than the normal Passat. Actually, given that it will probably be a bit rarer and more sought after (perhaps), it will probably make its residuals significantly better than the normal saloon.

It's not as radically designed as say you're example, the Civic.

The one thing going against it is, it only seats 4 people - which will put a lot of potential buyers off I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Its just a taxi minus its roof - go for something abit more classy like the SAAB Convertable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Barr wrote: »
    Its just a taxi minus its roof - go for something abit more classy like the SAAB Convertable

The CC or the Passat? How so?
    Arent the modern Saabs covered in that cheap plasti-chrome that you can get in Halfords out of the factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Classy :eek:

Thanks VICTOR - I believe that this is to be built in the Dresden "glassfactory" plant where Phaeton and Bently come from

Thanks for the opinion NICEIRISH - what would you suggest instead (since I do not work as a rep)

No problem mugatea, well good - as you are not a rep, you dont want to look like one driving down the road then cos that what'll happen if you bay a passat!
    Ok, well a AudiA4 (new model) starts @ 37k - look at one of those, nice car, good residuals too.
    Or a BM320D - or a Subaru Legacy Boxer Diesel.....just for starters.......buy a copy of a god car mag and sell all the brands etc in the back and prcing for ideas.

Its up to you........to not look like a Rep (unless you want to):D

Oh I though the CC was one of those coupe cabriolet version of the passat (couldn't think of anything worse than a topless passat) ..my bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Classy? UGLY! I think the Saab Convertable is an awful looking car, but isn't the Passat cc a coupe not a cabrio? The Passat cc looks very expensive, I think the 3 series 2door is absolutely gorgeous, saw a white one a few weeks ago and it was one of the best looking cars i'd seen in a long time. But if ya need the back doors...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Passats are bought by reps. because they are the best car for the job .

Buy a BMW and you will look like a drug dealer.

TonyM. wrote: »

lol I thooght that only applied to the X5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

No problem mugatea, well good - as you are not a rep, you dont want to look like one driving down the road then cos that what'll happen if you bay a passat!
    Ok, well a AudiA4 (new model) starts @ 37k - look at one of those, nice car, good residuals too.
    Or a BM320D - or a Subaru Legacy Boxer Diesel.....just for starters.......buy a copy of a god car mag and sell all the brands etc in the back and prcing for ideas.

Its up to you........to not look like a Rep (unless you want to):D

I'd sooner the Passat CC than the A4. The A4 is a very underwhelming car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

this is a Passat CC

vw-passat-ccl.jpg

Repmobile car? gorgeous CLS style car for half the price more like

TonyM. wrote: »

Quite an affected lot around here. Cant something be appreciated on its own merits?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Cant something be appreciated on its own merits?

Probably not, VW have done very well out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

What about the new Jaguar? Saw 2 of them yesterday and have to say they looked handsome. Not rep-mobile either!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

colm_mcm wrote: »
    this is a Passat CC

vw-passat-ccl.jpg

the cls loses a fortune as soon as you drive it away too. Buy one of these at 40k and it will be worth 25k at most when you turn on to the road. It's a nice enough car, but incredibly overpriced for a passat with one less seat and slight bodywork changes. It's hilarious that people who think audis are just overpriced skodas think that this yoke is great value.

You may as well burn your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

Probably not, VW have done very well out of this.

I referring to the BMW comment too! I know hardly any drug dealers driving BMWs..

this is a Passat CC

vw-passat-ccl.jpg

Admittedly thats a fine looking car , why dont they make the ordinary passat look like that besides the mundane model they are trying to flog to the masses.

NiSmO wrote: »

WRONG! Vw's are NOT holding their value well at the moment - like every other car. Don't be fooled by clever marketing:(
    Pay 40k + for it now and in Jan she'll be trade value 26-27k.......

WRONG! Vw's are NOT holding their value well at the moment - like every other car. Don't be fooled by clever marketing:(
    Pay 40k + for it now and in Jan she'll be trade value 26-27k.......

Are we buying cars for the next owner still? Better get it in silver and keep the plastic on the seats then too. Buying any new car is financially stupid, but certain marques obviously hold their value better, whats the "clever marketing" about this?

OP should buy whatever he likes, could be hit by a bus tomorrow..

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Are we buying cars for the next owner still? Better get it in silver and keep the plastic on the seats then too. Buying any new car is financially stupid, but certain marques obviously hold their value better, whats the "clever marketing" about this?

OP should buy whatever he likes, could be hit by a bus tomorrow..

Agreed. The Op can buy what he wants.
    Disagree with you on the "certin Marques holding their value better...........Nothing is holding it value better than anything else at the mo.......the trade is on the floor as are residuals on all marques and anyone who tells you different is misleading you.:eek:
    Good value may be had on Demo models in Jan09' - if you can get a decent "cost to change trade in" that is, which could be tricky, but well live in hope it all gets a lot more positive in the trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Admittedly thats a fine looking car , why dont they make the ordinary passat look like that besides the mundane model they are trying to flog to the masses.

Had a look at one in the 'flesh' last weekend and gotta say it was a bit of a disappointment. Its key feature is its looks and thought it looked great in the photos. Somehow underwhelming when you see it close up though (unlike the Merc CLS which really is super looking).
    Was thinking of being swayed to a CC (due to its looks really, overcoming the bad quality rep the latest Passat has), but feel the current Mondeo, and even more so the C5 are better looking.
    Yes, CC is better looking than Passat, but I think the premium is just far too much for very little. Even if the price premium was minimal (and you're getting a seat less anyway!) not sure that I'd be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 big mug of T

OP here,

Thanks for all of the feedback so far:

Main alternative suggestions given are:
    - A4
    - 3 series
    - C5
    - New Jaguar
    - Legacy diesel
    - saab convertible

My thoughts on these:
    A4 - nice car, need to look at what kinda spec comes for the 37k starter and where cost goes if you move away from the base

3 series - like it , but once again I think a decent spec shoots up the price!

C5 - have they built a new engine or are they still bolting in the old zantia pig into everything? looks smashing though (danger here too of stlying dating very quickly)

New Jaguar: Presume poster was talking about x class - NO TA(TA)
    Have had enough trouble through the years with processing equipment originated out of india, so definitely not bringing that into my motoring!

Legacy Diesel - might be a serious contender alright, will deffo look at one and have a drive - is there a new model coming out?

Saab convertible: I think this post was relatyed to the "CC" badge being peugeot style, I am not looking for any type of convertible.

Appreciate the various feedback on the Passatt CC aswell. Agree that buying a new car entails a certain element of commercial suicide.
    While I'm not a rep, I'm not a drug dealer either so duly noted will stay away from the x5.

Has anybody had any behind the wheel experience with the CC? would be very interested to find out as I'm lilely to be waiting another month or so to get a test drive lined up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

OP here,

Thanks for all of the feedback so far:

Main alternative suggestions given are:
    - A4
    - 3 series
    - C5
    - New Jaguar
    - Legacy diesel
    - saab convertible

My thoughts on these:
    A4 - nice car, need to look at what kinda spec comes for the 37k starter and where cost goes if you move away from the base

3 series - like it , but once again I think a decent spec shoots up the price!

C5 - have they built a new engine or are they still bolting in the old zantia pig into everything? looks smashing though (danger here too of stlying dating very quickly)

New Jaguar: Presume poster was talking about x class - NO TA(TA)
    Have had enough trouble through the years with processing equipment originated out of india, so definitely not bringing that into my motoring!

Legacy Diesel - might be a serious contender alright, will deffo look at one and have a drive - is there a new model coming out?

Saab convertible: I think this post was relatyed to the "CC" badge being peugeot style, I am not looking for any type of convertible.

Appreciate the various feedback on the Passatt CC aswell. Agree that buying a new car entails a certain element of commercial suicide.
    While I'm not a rep, I'm not a drug dealer either so duly noted will stay away from the x5.

Has anybody had any behind the wheel experience with the CC? would be very interested to find out as I'm lilely to be waiting another month or so to get a test drive lined up.

The CC is the same platform as the current Passat, so I can't imagine it being any different to drive. Competent, but lacking in feel.
    There is a new Legacy due next year. The Legacy is great value at €29,500 or something around that.

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    The CC is the same platform as the current Passat, so I can't imagine it being any different to drive. Competent, but lacking in feel.
    There is a new Legacy due next year. The Legacy is great value at €29,500 or something around that.

The CC can be bought with an active suspension system, like the Audi DRC. Presume its not standard, but that alone would give it a more sporty feel than a regular Passat.

Pity about the Jag though, in certain colours its a real stand out looking car.

Advertisement