Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype on Three

Options
  • 12-09-2008 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello all,
    I got the three contract for my mobile phone since i am a regular user of skype. As i realized that however the skype datatransfer is free for my contract, it is not possible to use skypeout on my mobile.
    Therefore I thought about a small trick to overcome this: I am using my bluetooth to access the internet on my laptop from my 3gmobile. In this way it is perfectly possible to use skypeout with my three contract.
    Now this is my question: does three offers me also free datatransfer for skype(out) when i use the skypeapplication on my laptop, or does it spend my valuable flexiunits?
    Regards, Dirky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

you are using your phone as a modem via bluetooth so your laptop can get on the net and then running skype on your laptop?

when you use skype on your laptop, it has nothing to do with the skype app on the phone. plus, you pay for skype out anyway by pre-paying...how do you expect to get away with using it for free! once you dial a phone number, your balance depletes.

the 3 skype phone i have (€79 job) only allows skype-skype calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Skype on "3" hanbdsets built in isn't really Skype. It uses ordinary 3G voice call to a "3" Skype server, not a data connection. So it works. The phone has no Skype application at all. It's an Application in "3"'s network. Thus it can't work with your Laptop via bluetooth.

Skype in the real sense, an IP based proprietary VOIP client, doesn't work very well on any 3G/HSDPA network.

If you want Skypeout on your "3" handset you have to pay "3" assuming they offer the service. If you want to use your existing PC Skype account on Laptop that bypass the Skype system on the phone, the phone just becomes a modem and generally it's too poor for real skype client.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

Hi Dirkystan
    Have a look at Crundy application on the skypephone forum. That is the only way I know that works. You Laptop will show it to be working but latency between the bluetooth connection and the 3g network make it seem like you are on the phone to someone on the moon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You could also install fring (www.fring.com) on your mobile (if compatible) and then you'd have Skype in and out on your phone using the data connection

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Of course with Fring you *ARE* giving a 3rd party all your passwords for those services.

Fring is *NOT* for the data connection to a Laptop etc... only for data mode of the handset standalone. It only works very well on WiFi. Often the uplink on 3G/HSDPA is too slow or latency too high. It should work on EDGE, except Meteor & O2 probably (the only EDGE providers) give priority to voice traffic which can make latency very high. It won't work sensibly or at all on GPRS (Vodaphone fallback from 3G). "3" only has 3G or HSDPA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement