Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a hall door

Options
  • 12-09-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I'm thinking about paining my hall door. It's a wooden door, which has been stained and varnished (using an all in one stain and varnish)....what are the correct steps I need to take to do a good job on this.

Do I need to sand the door down, to remove the varnish?

I'm probably going to paint it Black or some other dark colour, if that makes any difference.

thanks
    B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sand it well back, getting as much of the stain off as you can. Use medium grade paper/pads so that you don't scratch the door.
    Then use an exterior wood primer (grey one is probably best), prime it, let it dry, sand smooth, undercoat with black or charcoal, allow to dry again, snad smooth again, dust off and gloss it. Helps if you take off the weather seal/rubber too since gloss will take a good while to dry and you'll want to close the door overnight.
    One last thing; thin your paint...I'm doing a job at the minute where some cowboy has glossed up a brand new teak front door with out thinning his paint properly or sanding it right...the result is something that looks like it's been painted 20 times, brushstrokes, runs, gathers...fecker charged a fortune for it too. I'm left having to remove 3 layers of paint with a heat gun and re-painting and I'm still costing less than the other guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Some good advice there from Wertz; I did a paint job on my own door a few years ago- it was a hardwood door which had been painted with Sadolins or similar. I rubbed back the existing finish with sandpaper and steel wool on the mouldings. I washed it down with sugar soap and undercoated with a good oil based undercoat (Dulux); i may have given two coats of undercoat, rubbing down between coats to "denib". I finishe doff with a high gloss. It's worth while taking your time, I did and my door still looks fresh after 4 years (although it is north facing and sheltered).

Advertisement