Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacked stars might broadcast alien signals

Options
  • 12-09-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

If we received a message from an extraterrestrial civilization, would we necessarily realize it? SETI has long scanned the skies for evidence of alien transmissions, while others have proposed a hunt for physical artifacts sent by our distant neighbors. But neutrino physicists at the University of Hawaii have proposed yet another possibility: that humans have already received an extraterrestrial communication, and that we might find the message in our existing observations of the stars.

===

Read the full article
    http://io9.com/5047775/galactic-internet-could-broadcast-alien-signals

I find it an interesting proposal actually

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

forgive my total ignorance but would such a system not take ages to send messages given the speed of light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 se51

forgive my total ignorance but would such a system not take ages to send messages given the speed of light?

If this was a process that occured some tens or even hundreds of thousands of years ago, then the information will already have travelled the distance to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ok, but it wouldn't really be a good system for communicating in an efficient way, everything would be really slow.

I guess aliens could state "we're here" and share some technological info...but they would either have evolved or just become extinct in the intervening period.

I think these neutrino physicists are on the right track though, thinking of possibilities we wouldn't consider, I like this kind of thinking, we have an understandably earth centered view of things, imo the same could apply to our search for life.

Advertisement