Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Online Licence Plates

Options
  • 12-09-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

I think it was on this forum, i'm nearly sure of it. but there was a link a while back (maybe three or so months ago) to a site that did licence plate numbers (nice ones obviously - not the standard ones). I tried to do a search but cant find it. Does anyone here know of any online sites to get nice licence plates for a 4x4?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Define "nice", and remember that the standard ones are close to the only ones that meet the quite strict shape and size requirements for letters and numbers in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Unless you intend driving your vehicle in a private compound it is highly illegal to fit non standard plates. You can be fined several thousand euro for fitting these. Cops are beginning to get particularly strict in enforcing the law since the introduction of ANPR based spy cameras throughout the city. if your plate is not standard these cameras will have difficulty reading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Keep it standard - but anyway try fancyplates or ezplates or do a Google search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

On the subject of number plates anybody know where I can get the black with silver font plates? I've tried a couple of motor factors with no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Onkle wrote: »
    On the subject of number plates anybody know where I can get the black with silver font plates? I've tried a couple of motor factors with no joy

These are illegal as I think the cops cameras cannot read them.I don't think you will be able to get them anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're legal on vehicles over a certain age - which I believe Onkle has. There was a link in the Classic Cars forum recently but I can't for the life of me find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dlambirl wrote: »
    Hi all!

I think it was on this forum, i'm nearly sure of it. but there was a link a while back (maybe three or so months ago) to a site that did licence plate numbers (nice ones obviously - not the standard ones). I tried to do a search but cant find it. Does anyone here know of any online sites to get nice licence plates for a 4x4?

Thanks in advance

Is this what you are looking for OP?

www.fancyplates.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Moanin wrote: »
    These are illegal as I think the cops cameras cannot read them.

What MYOB said. They are perfectly legal on pre 1991 cars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Onkle wrote: »
    What MYOB said. They are perfectly legal on pre 1991 cars

Silver-on-Black plates are only legal on pre-1987 vehicles (plus ZV and ZZ registrations and Defence Force vehicles).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

While we're on the topic, does anyone know where I might get some pre-'91 style plates (the plain black-on-white plates?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement