Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB newbie issues - No DSL !

Options
  • 12-09-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

Just signed up to Eircom BB 3MB home plus. Free wireless router arrived and plugged directly into the eircom main socket. No DSL . Called BB support and they say that line may not take 3MB. Have called sales and asked them to downgrade me to 1MB.

Question: If my line could not take 3MB would the DSL light still have been off or does this not make a difference. Will it come on now they have downgraded me. I have to call them when I get home as the Eircom BB support said they are testing the line and cant see that my router is connected . I left the router switched on and unplugged the phone so the router is directly connected to the main Eircom socket. I just thought that would un complicate matters and eliminate filter issues etc...

Could it be its the line from the pole to my house?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dellas wrote: »
    Just signed up to Eircom BB 3MB home plus. Free wireless router arrived and plugged directly into the eircom main socket. No DSL . Called BB support and they say that line may not take 3MB. Have called sales and asked them to downgrade me to 1MB.

Question: If my line could not take 3MB would the DSL light still have been off or does this not make a difference. Will it come on now they have downgraded me. I have to call them when I get home as the Eircom BB support said they are testing the line and cant see that my router is connected . I left the router switched on and unplugged the phone so the router is directly connected to the main Eircom socket. I just thought that would un complicate matters and eliminate filter issues etc...

Could it be its the line from the pole to my house?

How long is it since you actually signed up? Have Eircom confirmed that you have actually activated at the exchange? If your line cannot handle a particular speed that will normally show in drop outs etc etc not an absence of the dsl signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

as dub45 said what was the date u were given for connection? cuz u receive the modem before it gets installed. I used to work for eircom 1901 customer services and we would get a number of people rigning up saying they couldn't connect and the prob was that it wasn't their connection date yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Hi we are apparantly connected . Date was 10th September but I enquired and was told that the exchange had done their bit on the 7th. I have asked this 3 times and each time have been told that our line has been activated. It took them two weeks from the date I ordered it. There was a line already in the house but it had never been BB connected. I had to pay a new connection fee of around EUR29. A neighbour of mine has got Eircom BB 4 doors down so it is in the area. I know its not a gurantee even if next door has it but they apparantly laid new cables last year to enable BB. Im sure we would have not got this far if it was not available and it passed line tests so I dont think its that issue.

When I plugged in the box there has never been a DSL light on. Im wondering if I now go home and its downgraded to 1MB will it be possible that a DSL light might come on ? Would this be the norm?

Hi we are apparantly connected . Date was 10th September but I enquired and was told that the exchange had done their bit on the 7th. I have asked this 3 times and each time have been told that our line has been activated. It took them two weeks from the date I ordered it. There was a line already in the house but it had never been BB connected. I had to pay a new connection fee of around EUR29. A neighbour of mine has got Eircom BB 4 doors down so it is in the area. I know its not a gurantee even if next door has it but they apparantly laid new cables last year to enable BB. Im sure we would have not got this far if it was not available and it passed line tests so I dont think its that issue.

When I plugged in the box there has never been a DSL light on. Im wondering if I now go home and its downgraded to 1MB will it be possible that a DSL light might come on ? Would this be the norm?

As I stated above the dsl light coming on has absolutely nothing got to do with whether you line is capable of the speed or not.

dub45 wrote: »
    As I stated above the dsl light coming on has absolutely nothing got to do with whether you line is capable of the speed or not.

Oh ok thanks , I spoke to a guy who said it could be but I didnt really have much confidence in him. I guess I will have to wait until I get home and call them again. It sounds as if maybe an engineer will have to come out.

• Advertisement

In your browser enter http://192.168.1.254 and tell us what the page says?

Are any of the lights on the router working?

dub45 wrote: »
    In your browser enter http://192.168.1.254 and tell us what the page says?

Are any of the lights on the router working?

The Ethernet 1 green light is on as is the wireless green light. The DSL light flashes on-off-on-off .

I entered in the 192.168.1.254 and it says ''DSL DOWN'' and ''EIRCOM BROADBAND DOWN''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

If they've confirmed that the connection work is finished then be patient and wait for an engineer.

I just had to go through the same thing myself, it took a few days but an engineer eventually arrived and had to mess about with the wiring in the house to get bb going. If your line's flaky or you're borderline max distance from the exchange then it might take some tweaking before it works at all.

rockbeer wrote: »
    If they've confirmed that the connection work is finished then be patient and wait for an engineer.

I just had to go through the same thing myself, it took a few days but an engineer eventually arrived and had to mess about with the wiring in the house to get bb going. If your line's flaky or you're borderline max distance from the exchange then it might take some tweaking before it works at all.

Thats great I will hope and pray and wait for the engineer which apparantly should be out in 5 days so early next week.

Well today at 2pm I looked at my router which I had just left plugged in and connected directly to the Eircom socket and the DSL light was stable!!! Switched on my laptop and amazingly Im typing this using Eircom broadband .... cant believe it . :D

Now Im wondering if I can call them back to upgrade the speed to 3MB as I had been downgraded to 1MB. The engineer said it was a issue on my line and nothing to do with what speed I was on. Should I call and ask for an upgrade??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 BadCRC

Well today at 2pm I looked at my router which I had just left plugged in and connected directly to the Eircom socket and the DSL light was stable!!! Switched on my laptop and amazingly Im typing this using Eircom broadband .... cant believe it . :D

Now Im wondering if I can call them back to upgrade the speed to 3MB as I had been downgraded to 1MB. The engineer said it was a issue on my line and nothing to do with what speed I was on. Should I call and ask for an upgrade??

Sounds like they hadn't hooked your line up to the DSL port at the exchange, engineers have been known to make silly mistakes before :D.

You should try getting it upgraded now. It doesn't take long to change a port profile (it's done remotely) so even if it doesn't work you should be able to get it changed back within a day.

Hmm spoke too soon. It has crashed 3 times already today and the guy in tech support said the line was showing him speeds of under 1MB. I told him it has to be the line from the pole to the house and he is sending out an engineer to see if they can replace the cable. At the moment its useable for normal surfing but sticks when watching Youtube etc.... Still a step in the right direction from having no BB .

Next door have 3MB so its not that the lines that run past the house are an issue. They were upgraded last year. The line from the pole to the house is over 14 years old.

Advertisement