Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GoToMyPC - Remote PC access software

• 12-09-2008 4:52pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

There is a month free trial of the GoToMyPC software going now on their site.
    www.gotomypc.com
    I have being using it and find it great, however you do have to pay after the trial ends :(

What do people think of it and and are there any good free alternatives?

I'm currently using it to "work from home" - from work :)

Mik

Comments

Don't forget to quote "Dave 10" or "Discovery 5" depending on which channel you want the commission to go to...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

There is a month free trial of the GoToMyPC software going now on their site.
    www.gotomypc.com
    I have being using it and find it great, however you do have to pay after the trial ends :(

What do people think of it and and are there any good free alternatives?

I'm currently using it to "work from home" - from work :)

Mik

www.logmein.com or just use remote desktop and a free dyndns.org name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I've tried Logmein and was very impressed with it but the trial was too short so now I'm using Go to My pc's months trial but over all so far It's Logmein I'll go for as I think they have more options and better responsive software plus also the cost €50/year for the year compared to GotomyPc which is €143.99/year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Namesco wrote: »
    I've tried Logmein and was very impressed with it but the trial was too short so now I'm using Go to My pc's months trial but over all so far It's Logmein I'll go for as I think they have more options and better responsive software plus also the cost €50/year for the year compared to GotomyPc which is €143.99/year

There's a free version of logmein though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

A 3rd option is Crossloop.

As for Logmein,
    when your trial version runs out it will automatically revert your installation to the free version (It works exactly the same minus some of the features, so it depends on what exactly it is you need it to be capable off.)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

I'd never pay for something i can get for free to be honest.

i have a script gets that my external ip every 30 mins, uploads to web server and have rdp/ssh running on my pc.

140 euro a year my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

I use LogMeIn all the time for free. allows me remotely control pcs - can't upload/download files but that has never caused me any problems. free version should suit most people fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Voodoo2 wrote: »

Crazy money considering the other options.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Crazy money considering the other options.

-

Its free!? There is no cost!

• Advertisement

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    Its free!? There is no cost!

Oops!

Actually I see that now Voodoo,

free for non-commercial, personal use.

Are there any restrictions on the free side?

Does it have file drag & drop facility?

-

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers lads - must check the other options out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Does it have to be browser based?

I've always used VNC for remote-access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

A 3rd option is Crossloop.

-

I just tried Crossloop out last week. It makes the whole process very simple and straightforward, but it crashed when the session ended. As far as ease of use goes, I would give is a 10, but it is still pretty new and I don't know about security wise...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Ponster wrote: »
    Does it have to be browser based?

I've always used VNC for remote-access.

It has to be browser based if at all possible and the ability to transfer files is quite important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Ubaroo

Just use Logmein free, I use it all the time :D works just as good as the trial

Ubaroo wrote: »
    Just use Logmein free, I use it all the time :D works just as good as the trial

Does the free version now include file transfer?

-

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does the free version now include file transfer?

-
    you could always upload to an internet site and download again , not as fast or neat but it gets the job done

use something like filezilla or firefox + fireftp to move lots

or just open up firewall ports if you know what you are doing

Advertisement