Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

00 Renault Laguna - rear shock replacement

Options
  • 12-09-2008 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Is it as easy as 'they' say? Does anyone have a link etc... to a step-by-step guide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whos the "they" that say its easy? If it's a mechanic then it would be easy to them.

Easy is a relative term anyway. If your good with tools, most jobs can be easy. If your the type that loses fingers looking at power tools then it might not be such an easy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If you have to look for a step by step guide, then you probably don't have either the skills or the tools to do this job so that the end result would be safe. I'd get a mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 modbhcci

I only want to hear from people who can help.................clearly, neither of you have the know-how so get stuck in someplace where you can help......

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Here's some helpful advice - google.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Remember that you don't just replace one shock absorber at a time, you replace them in pairs, per axel. Just replacing one will weaken the other one further on the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Haynes manual from Halfords or Easons would help alot not expensive and well worth the money IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

modbhcci wrote: »
    I only want to hear from people who can help.................clearly, neither of you have the know-how so get stuck in someplace where you can help......

Flattery will get you everywhere! :rolleyes:

20 minute job with 21mm (top) and 18mm (bottom) wrenches - take usual precautions with jack and axle stands. It's a drop-in replacement. Couldn't have been easier.

Will take my chances with changing one only for the NCT next Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nice of you to report back. Thanks!

Not your ornery onager

NCT passed with only one rear shock replaced - 11% imbalance. Same as front two which were "both" replaced last June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Do you know how many miles were on the other rear shock, if/when it was replaced?

From looking at NCT suspension results for cars we've owned over the years it appears that shocks fail rather than "wear" with mileage. So a new shock and and an old/high mileage shock in good condition may give much the same results. Yet there is the perception out here that if one shock is faulty that the other one on the same axle must automatically be replaced as otherwise there will be an imbalance

I plan to put this to the test in a few months when my NCT is due. had one shock replaced a while back as it was bent. So for the NCT I'll have one shock with ~30k miles on it and the other one will have ~200k miles on it.

For BrianD3.........other rear shock (driver side) is the original with just over 100k miles done on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Nice one, thanks. So you have a brand new shock and a shock with 100k on the same axle and the imbalance in the NCT was 11% with anything under 30% a pass. That does kind of confirm my theory that shocks (rear ones anyway) don't necessarily "wear out" with mileage.

Advertisement