Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase based on misleading info

Options
  • 12-09-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I rang customer service in British Airways. I asked a question and based on their response decided to purchase a ticket.

I have now found out that they gave me incorrect information. So I wanted to cancel the ticket I purchased.

I paid by credit card, just wondering as its a card not present transaction can I cancel the credit card transaction.

Obviously the goods have not been used yet.

I know if you purchase a product on line, you can return within 7 days. Anyone know the situation regarding flights.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

sue97 wrote: »
    I rang customer service in British Airways. I asked a question and based on their response decided to purchase a ticket.

I have now found out that they gave me incorrect information. So I wanted to cancel the ticket I purchased.

I paid by credit card, just wondering as its a card not present transaction can I cancel the credit card transaction.

I know if you purchase a product on line, you can return within 7 days. Anyone know the situation regarding flights.
    Have you anything written on paper over the matter?

I can imagine anything verbal would not hold water but there again you are dealing with BA and not certain low cost airlines..

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How critical is the incorrect information?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Its very critical. I would not have booked the flights if I was not given incorrect information.

Have spoken to Customer Service Mgr in BA and she says she believes I was misinformed but Customer Service Mgr do not have the authority to let me cancel the flights and get a full refund so their staff can tell you what they like and you do not have a leg to stand on :mad:

I don't have proof but having managed call centres for years, you get a feel for when a customer is genuine and its unrealistic to expect every customer to ask for confirmation of everything they are told in writing.

I can get on to the Consumer Association and then proceed that way. I have been on to the credit card company but chargeback dept closed for weekend.

Just wondering how I will get on. Anyone any experience of this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its a drastic measure but you could claim you lost your card before "someone" cough...cough.. bought the flights!
    That might save your cash! As its the weekend (and you have to wait for standard offices to open on Monday) every transaction from when you say it was lost, will be blocked.
    Say that you thought it was at home/in the car etc but you found out it wasn't, etc...

The downside is that you will have to wait a few days for a new card and number.
    If they ask you about buying flights..
    "Flights??? What flights!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Biggins wrote: »
    Its a drastic measure but you could claim you lost your card before "someone" cough...cough.. bought the flights!
    Thats fraud and can be tracked, particularly if she gave her correct name and address and security details from her credit card. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ask for the recording of the call and see what happens.

You can't cancel it due to it being "card not present" as there isn't anything wrong with the actual card transaction ie you gave them the number and your details etc.

You could try doing a chargeback on the basis that the goods/services are not as described but you should be able to show that you have already tried to get a refund from BA.

One moral of the story is that verbal info isn't worth the paper its not written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Its very critical. I would not have booked the flights if I was not given incorrect information.
    If you give a little more info then maybe someone who has been in the same boat could assist.

Cooling off periods don't apply to amongst other things, flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Thanks all. Will talk to credit card company on Monday. Lesson learned, make every single poor sod in every call centre confirm our conversation in writing.

Very annoying - I don't complain in general and I am not perpared to lie.

I managed call centres for years and in general you know when someone is having you on. Will have a think about publishing the whole story bur am waiting for response from written communication first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks all. Will talk to credit card company on Monday. Lesson learned, make every single poor sod in every call centre confirm our conversation in writing.

Very annoying - I don't complain in general and I am not perpared to lie.

I managed call centres for years and in general you know when someone is having you on. Will have a think about publishing the whole story bur am waiting for response from written communication first
    But having worked in a call centre you would know that people ring up chancing their arm the whole time.

I would be very surprised if their calls are not recorded so I would go that route since it would be very hard to prove what you were told otherwise.

If I have any doubt about something I always ring more than once to check with more than one operator (or get it in writing or email) since I know from my time also managing in a call centre that some staff can be just stupid and will just agree with whatever to get you off the phone.

Advertisement