Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something weird going on with pings (Eircom)

Options
  • 12-09-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

On the Priory Park exchange (Dublin 18 area).
    I downgraded to the new 3mb package as soon as Eircom upgraded my line and my ping was the same as always since then. However this evening it's unusually high. Pinging 193.93.44.44 averaged 18ms a few days ago and is now averaging 53ms. All game servers I ping are also much higher than usual.
    Anyone else notice their ping has jumped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The board is full of threads about this, do we need another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Did you read my post?
    My line has been fine since I downgraded about a month ago. The problem I am refering to has only occured this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

It has to do with eircom's recent upgrades. They turned interleaving on which ups pings

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

are the high pings now also on the 3meg package? my understanding was that the high pings were only on the 7.6meg package?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Gonzo wrote: »
    are the high pings now also on the 3meg package? my understanding was that the high pings were only on the 7.6meg package?
    Its effecting everyone bar those on 1MB connections.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that must have changed since yesterday because loads of people who were on the 7.6meg package who are gamers downgraded back to the 3meg package and got their old and great pings back, can anyone who did this confirm that the 3meg package has gone back to bad pings over past 24 hours? If Eircom really have upped the interleving on the 3meg package since yesterday then that doesnt give the rest of us much hope of seeing lower pings on the 7.6meg package anytime soon. (Eircom sent an email to some people claiming that they would lower the pings once all the upgrades were completed)

This is not a problem caused by the upgrades. The problem only occured yesterday evening and my line was upgraded a month ago. All I wanted to know was were people experiencing a similar spike in latency either in my area or anywhere else on the new 3mb package (old 2mb package).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have you contacted eircom to ask them about any issues on your exchange?

Not yet, just wanted to see if anyone else was getting it.
    Only home now and the pings are still high so I'll give them a ring on Monday if nothing has changed by then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sounds like an issue with how your isp is routing your packets rather that anything to do with your line.

• Advertisement

Pings are still high on Sunday evening so it looks like they may have upped the interleaving on my 3mb line. Why they'd do this I've no idea as it was stable and pinged beautifully.
    Will ring them tomorrow and let you know the outcome.
    Hopefully they'll allow me to reduce the interleaving as I can't swap to NTL and downgrading even lower isn't very attractive :/

Rang Eircom today and apparently my interleaving has been on high ever since I downgraded and he could offer no explanation as to why my ping decided to jump on Friday evening.
    However he did lower my interleaving so I'm pinging 20ms to 193.93.44.44 and 10ms to boards.ie so I'm happy.
    For anyone wondering, downgrading is still the only option to fix your ping as the interleaving is mandatory on the 7.6mb package.

Advertisement