Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At this moment in time....

Options
  • 12-09-2008 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

How long are you spending roughly each evening on study and homework?

I would say it usually takes me about 2 hours to 2 and a half hours on my homework, then an extra hour revising back over 5th year work - i do one subject a night.

Just interesting to hearing how other fellow leavin certs are getting on in this early stage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I just do my homework which takes around 2-3 hours on average. Doing history (while having spent half of last year just doing the bloody documents question) kind of rules out any study time for other subjects :pac:

I'll get down to the study during and after hallo'ween :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

There seems to be an awful lot of work involved in History?
    There isnt any leaving cert history in our school as only one person wanted to take it, but from what i have been reading on here, it seems quite a tough subject?!

Niamh-17 wrote: »
    There seems to be an awful lot of work involved in History?
    There isnt any leaving cert history in our school as only one person wanted to take it, but from what i have been reading on here, it seems quite a tough subject?!
    You'd be right in that assumption considering there are four books (each over 200 pages long) to be studied, with many different case studies in each, and on top of all that we have to do a reasrch project aswell. It's not too bad if you like history, which I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Depends Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday i have nightstudy so i get about 4 hours done, havent really found a routine for other days yet. I have just evening study on Friday so i ll try and just get my homework done and leave it at that. (I am struggling to type this coherently, i should sleep soon :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I do about two hours on homework on weekdays(average)

Then another 45 mins study on a subject.Then I do another 45 mins on a dif subject.History and maths are too damn time consuming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I just do my homework right now...

but I'll be starting night study fairly soon so I'll be doing about 3 hours a night then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I do about 2 hours of homework a night. Haven't really started any proper study though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Piste wrote: »
    I do about 2 hours of homework a night. Haven't really started any proper study though!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bout 2 hours homework myself. Not going to start study for a month I'd say (at least after my 18th), just getting Irish and French sorted between now and then all my oral stuff, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

About 2 hours worth of homework and have yet to do anything on top of that.

I am not going to like the lack of free time I'll have during this year. Not at all. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭K-Bowie

Around 3-4 hours a night 1hour on Maths and 1hour on Physics and I break the other subjects up, thats study not homework btw ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

!!!!!!
    I did the LC last year.
    How do you have time to do ANY study at this time of the year?

Well done though.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

homework is taking about 3 hours atm
    studying about half an hour on top of that for biology tests and that....
    gonna start revising 5th year stuff this week. (hopefully)

how d'ye make yourselves study and do homework? Somedays i dread it and leave till really late:( that has to stop this week!

How much of the 5th year stuff d'ye think ye will have revised for the x-mas tests?

Yeah I tend to leave mine to tile last minute too.

Like this week I built two bookcases to put off doing homework, but ended up having to stay late to do it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

It takes about 3 hours to do my homework (including technical drawing) so I really dont have the willpower to do any more study, hopefully i`ll start in a few weeks when i start night study.

homework is taking about 3 hours atm
    studying about half an hour on top of that for biology tests and that....
    gonna start revising 5th year stuff this week. (hopefully)

how d'ye make yourselves study and do homework? Somedays i dread it and leave till really late:( that has to stop this week!

How much of the 5th year stuff d'ye think ye will have revised for the x-mas tests?

I make myself study that length of time by thinking what I will be doing in the Uni of my choice and everything that comes with it, new friends, good laughs and generally a new beginning for me its a great motivator some of the simplst things such as watching friends go off to college etc...

By X-Mas I will have revised the whole Physics course and all but theroms in Maths, other subjects like Business and English I'm pritty good at so I have already read over everything and made sure I understood everything.

It takes about 3 hours to do my homework (including technical drawing) so I really dont have the willpower to do any more study, hopefully i`ll start in a few weeks when i start night study.

At the moment thats a pritty good start tbh atleast you do your homework and night study is great aslong as you don't talk to your friends the whole time your there!

GARGH I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO FOR TOMORROW ARGH.

LC Gaeilge reading comprehensions take freakin ages!

From now on i do my homework the day i get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Eternaldream

Fad wrote: »
    GARGH I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO FOR TOMORROW ARGH.

LC Gaeilge reading comprehensions take freakin ages!

From now on i do my homework the day i get it.

lol you should really stop replying on threads about how long its taking you to do your homework and study, and get and do your homework! :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

French Comprehensions should really die.
    I have tomorrow off school.
    I'm spending it copying out Economics Notes and learning as I do, doing most of a four page essay on Elisabeth Bishop, Doing a hell of a lot of history and whatever else is in my bag.
    I did an hour of Economics this morning. I tend to get up on Sundays and study to make up for not doing anything Saturday.
    Evening Study for two hours after school is the best thing ever

• Advertisement

lol you should really stop replying on threads about how long its taking you to do your homework and study, and get and do your homework! :p:p

At that stage i had given up, i was sick all weekend and thats my excuse and im sticking to it :)*

*I was in fact sick, but too sick to do any work? questionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pegmin

Since I've started 5th year,I've really been doing the bare minumum...homework roughly takes about nearly 2 hours.

Me no like 5th year....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My mam offered to write me a note along the lines of "due to eyesight problems, *phasers* will be unable to do her homework for ten days whilst awaiting the delivery of her glasses."

I'm really thinking of taking her up on it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I've started doing an exam paper a night. Hopefully it'll be more in a coupla weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

An exam paper a night? woah fair play!

Have been getting a good bit of homework these nights......essays are a killer! Though they are mostly for weekends. We get Irish words to learn everynight.....some nights we get somthing like 65 words to learn for the next day for a spelling test.....that takes up a good bit of time.

In Home Ec we are moving on to new material but once a week we get a test in 5th year stuff, today it was proteins, next week Carbohydrates..which i think is a good idea, and we get a lot more done.

Maths test tomorrow though....uh oh...

Phasers is a girl?!

Maths takes me aaaaaages to do, last night we had 7 questions to do (from book, not exam questions!) and I swear the last few took me half an hour each. It was frustrating as each question has loads of little bits to it and I kept getting tiny bits wrong early on which made my final answer totally wrong and made me very frustrated! Then by the time maths is out of the way I'm drained and have lost the will to work.

I've started using online dictionaries for French and German instead of paper dictionaries because it takes so much less time looking up words. Unfortunately I usually just end up on boards for ages totally cancelling out any time I may have saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The first few weeks back of 6th year were absolutely killer for me. So ridiculously much homework. Couldn't even think about studying. It got less as the year went on though, definitely. So don't panic. : p

I've started using online dictionaries for French and German instead of paper dictionaries because it takes so much less time looking up words.
    Oh dear.

Yep. Started my German homewok full of good intentions an hour and a half ago >.<

• Advertisement

Yep. Started my German homewok full of good intentions an hour and a half ago >.<
    I love my french dictionary. It's quite old and battered but it's got character. I can't imagine my school life without it, not necessarily for looking up words, but more the companionship and that something you can look to when you're feeling down that will raise your spirits.

Make sure you don't use the online translators though Piste:

Advertisement