Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mike Ashley Meeting KK!!!

• 12-09-2008 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

Various sources are reporting that Mike Ashley is meeting with Kevin Keegan in London at the moment. I have been watching his odds today, and they have been crashing even before this announcement.

It may well be in relation to the legal wranglings hanging over the pair of them, but it has to be more than that. Ashley didn't even fly back last week for those legal meetings so why now/ Perhaps he realises the sh/t is about to hit te fan tomorrow with the boycotts and protests?

Fcuking hell, its never quiet in geordie land.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This did not required a new thread , honest! :)

As for the meeting, I'd not be holding my breath. Anyway what is Ashley going to say? "I'll sack the others?"

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well it will be seriously hard to sell the club in this state, perhaps he is looking to get KK back, guarantee him carte blanch and then sell up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wouldn't it be amusing if KK came back for a 3rd spell? I reckon it's nothing of the sort, though. More likely this is KK enquiring about the gold carriage clock he is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

mike65 wrote: »
    This did not required a new thread , honest! :)

As for the meeting, I'd not be holding my breath. Anyway what is Ashley going to say? "I'll sack the others?"

Mike.

Yeah, mods feel free to merge, over-reaction on my behalf.

Like I said, his odds were crashing this afternoon for no apparent reason, I knew something was a miss.

I just can't see it being a meeting about compo or owt, thats what the lawyers are for.

However, I can only see KK coming back on his terms. Whether that is the other lot removed, or their positions restricted, or KK having it in writing that he has final say, I don't know, but I am positive he won't walk back into the same setup he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yeah, mods feel free to merge, over-reaction on my behalf.

Like I said, his odds were crashing this afternoon for no apparent reason, I knew something was a miss.

I just can't see it being a meeting about compo or owt, thats what the lawyers are for.

However, I can only see KK coming back on his terms. Whether that is the other lot removed, or their positions restricted, or KK having it in writing that he has final say, I don't know, but I am positive he won't walk back into the same setup he left.

It would be an absolute farce if he came back. I may yet be proved wrong, but I just can't see it happening.

• Advertisement

It is a farce that he was forced to go in the first place.

It would be an absolute farce if he came back. I may yet be proved wrong, but I just can't see it happening.

Farce really depends on what terms he comes back, and like I said, I can't see him coming back on anything less than his terms. If he gets his way, and Ashley has seen sense, thn what went on was indeed an epic farce, but his rehiring wouldn't be.

Perhaps the Ambani (Indian billionaire) rebuttal today has made Mike realise that the club is up sh/t creek, and it's value plummeting. If he is to sell at anything near a profit, perhaps he has realised he has to bring stability to the place. Only one man can really provide him with that at the moment, and that's KK.

Still, until anything concrete comes of this, I have this gif prepared

fergie.gif

I agree. At least they would be making an effort at rectifying the situation rather than just admitting a mistake but doing nowt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I wouldnt consider it a farce if he came back, id be absolutely over the moon !! :D

I wouldnt consider it a farce if he came back, id be absolutely over the moon !! :D

If ever a +1 was warranted.

To hear the Leazes end belting out 'Keegan Wonderland' tomorrow, would be epic. Whatever the reaction he got back in January, the place will be going apesh/t if he is in the ground tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think it is about time Newcastle went out and got themselves a first class manager and forget about the permed one.

Donadoni is on the dole???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Cant believe im reading this.Lol. Newcastle is like a soap opera. Gotta feel for the fans mind you.

Boggles wrote: »
    I think it is about time Newcastle went out and got themselves a first class manager and forget about the permed one.

Donadoni is on the dole???

What kind of 'first class' manager is going to be attracted to us at the moment?

Whether right or wrong, the fans have made it clear over the last week that Mike Ashley has made a monumental fcuk up, and that there will/was be severe consequences for those mistakes (Mass boycotts of merchandise, anything connected to the club. Mass boycotts of games. Vocal protests at every home match). There is only one way he can even even begin to try and rectify those mistakes (make no mistake, rehiring KK alone will not be good enough. The fans need to know KK is in full control, will be given money to spend, and someone has to come out and let the fans know what has gone on). In my opinion, KK is holding all aces in this one.

What kind of 'first class' manager is going to be attracted to us at the moment?

Staunton! :D

LOL. I can only imagine that Cabbage giving his "i'm the gaffer speech" at the unveiling press conference, where either side of him, sit Dennis Wise and Tony Jiminez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Cant believe im reading this.Lol. Newcastle is like a soap opera. Gotta feel for the fans mind you.

Ah its not in fairness, soap's have a far more coherent script!:pac:

eddiehead wrote: »
    Ah its not in fairness, soap's have a far more coherent script!:pac:

The ironing of a Chelski fan having a pop is delicious.

And don't you forget it's one of your own that has been causing all sorts of trouble up here.

The ironing of a Chelski fan having a pop is delicious.

And don't you forget it's one of your own that has been causing all sorts of trouble up here.

Ah relax, the ironing isnt lost on me, just couldnt resist.;)
    Was never a huge fan of wee Dennis tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I thought Newcastle were making Keegan pay compensation for violating his contract? Maybe the meeting is for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I dunno, you tell me

• Advertisement

GuanYin wrote: »
    I thought Newcastle were making Keegan pay compensation for violating his contract? Maybe the meeting is for that?

Anything is possible GY, but I just don't see either KK or Mike Ashley appearing in the flesh just for an issue like that (Particularly KK, who would be traveling all the way from up North, and presumably wouldn't be too keen to be in the same room as Ashley, unless thee was a significant change in scenario). That's really the lawyer's dirty work. Also, Mike Ashley is bound to know that word of this meeting would leak. However, big his fcuk ups have been in the past week, he surely wouldn't be that incompetent to just let these rumors swirl, and fans hopes raised, only to dash them by saying it was a meeting about compo. That truly would be the icing on the cake of the past 10 2 weeks mind.

As another poster mentioned earlier, this could well be Ashley trying to get the house in order for a proposed takeover. Ambani's reps went cold today after they said the club was in too much turmoil. Perhaps they are trying to force Ashley's hand if he wants any sort of a sale.

Bummer. LMA say that the meeting was to see if a compromise could be reached, but unfortunately that could not be done.

Mike Ashley, prepare yourself for one hell of a day tomorrow son.

EDIT: Here is the statement
    The League Managers Association can confirm that talks to resolve several issues were held today between Kevin Keegan and Mike Ashley of Newcastle United Football Club. However, the discussion failed to reach a satisfactory conclusion.

With Newcastle being a job most people wouldn't touch with a barge pole at the moment (although I think 3-4 million a year would change someones mind) - maybe it is time for Hughton to make the step up to senior coach, he is the only coach that is overly qualified if that is possible.

With Newcastle being a job most people wouldn't touch with a barge pole at the moment (although I think 3-4 million a year would change someones mind) - maybe it is time for Hughton to make the step up to senior coach, he is the only coach that is overly qualified if that is possible.

Well I have a feeling he may be in the job for a few weeks. I had made a similar post regarding Steve Clarke, particulalry when you consider the Wise connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Well I have a feeling he may be in the job for a few weeks. I had made a similar post regarding Steve Clarke, particulalry when you consider the Wise connection.

Clarke is off to West Ham to join Zola. He has tendered his resignation at Chelsea already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

maybe it is time for Hughton to make the step up to senior coach, he is the only coach that is overly qualified if that is possible.

Not the worst idea in the world there, I'd love to see Hughton make a go at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

If Keegan goes back hes just stupid. It just wont work now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

gixerfixer wrote: »

Us Pool fans can hardly talk though, with "The Young And The Feckless" on over at Anfield every day!;)

• Advertisement

Us Pool fans can hardly talk though, with "The Young And The Feckless" on over at Anfield every day!;)

Am a right in thinking that SOS are arranging a Hicks and Gillet protest for tomorrow? It's time for football clubs like Liverpool and Newcastle to stand up and show who it is that the clubs actually belong to. Tomorrow I feel is the first day that this begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tomorrow I feel is the first day that this begins.

this is nought but wishful thinking. it won't be the first protest, and it won't be the last. but the end results will more than likely be pretty similar, i.e. very little impact.

here's why
    And a Spirit of Shankly statement added: "What we need on Saturday is two resounding victories. Firstly, a march on a massive scale that tells the world that Liverpool has had enough of Gillett and Hicks.

"A march of passion, a march of anger, a march of Red solidarity that roars its message loud and proud: 'enough is enough, go now.'

"This is the biggest club game in football and the world will be watching. Our second victory on Saturday comes when we take all that passion and pride inside the ground."

note key words, inside the ground. meaning business won't be affected. meaning the owners won't give a flying f*ck how loud they are.

this is nought but wishful thinking. it won't be the first protest, and it won't be the last. but the end results will more than likely be pretty similar, i.e. very little impact.

here's why

note key words, inside the ground. meaning business won't be affected. meaning the owners won't give a flying f*ck how loud they are.

Is in not possible to galvanize a mass boycott of all club related merchandise, match day beer+food, programs, betting totes inside the ground etc etc. That seems to be what all NUFC fans are agreed upon at the moment (a boycott of attendance is more tricky with season tickets already sold, some feeling its their right to support the team, some feeling that they don't want to let the players down).

Advertisement