Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis - Warhead

Options
  • 12-09-2008 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Review up on EG.

All good news. Also, it seems they've set the hardware requirements a little lower:
    The difference here is that the game has been optimised for a lower spec machine, and a slightly sheepish Crytek have made it clear that they sounded off on the tech-melting requirements of the first game a little too loudly last year. The official specs for Warhead are:
    • Processor: 3.2 GHz for Vista 2.8 GHz for XP;
    • Memory: 1.5 GB for Vista 1.0 GB for XP;
    • Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista ) or greater.
    To put that in context, Crytek has built a machine from online parts capable of running Warhead on the second-highest graphics settings for USD 600.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Can't read EG here in work, and I won't be in a rush to after the score they gave the original Crysis...

Absolute dog's egg of a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

9/10 is a big score to give alright.

It does sound like they've sorted out most of the AI problems from the orignal and up the gameplay and enjoyment a lot. Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Don't know how you would label Crysis a dog egg of a game....wait a minute dogs don't lay eggs!

I found many many minor faults with Crysis but I did find much to enjoy and not just the graphics. Having played through it twice I can say the second play through really made me appreciate the game more.

Warhead which is getting some really good advance reviews will deffo be a day one purchase for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I played 3/4 of Crysis on low settings then when i got a new graphics card i finished it on high settings. I recently went back to it for the craic and i was disappointed.

I just felt the gun mechanics didnt work well, lack of ammo for the only decent gun is frustrating and dew to the fact that enemies need to be shot around 30 times just gets on your nerves. Its frustrating that if you plan a ambush and execute it you'll have to run away or stealth to reload etc.

I tried to play as much as i could in a kind of stealth theme but thats near impossible dew to the enemies having so much health and the guns having a bigger sway then Armed Assault! I would of loved a combat it would have made things alot easier in situations and added alot to the overall experience.

In the end the you usually end up with the whole clock /shotgun/run away/cloak/shotgun OR stealth into a area set up camp in one of the Command hubs get everyones attention and camp while every single NK runs into your position not knowing whats going on and just being plain dumb.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

those specs look very similiar to the original,bar the graphics card raquirements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

is this a standalone or do you require the oringinal?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

is this a standalone or do you require the oringinal?

Standalone. Must look and see if they're doing a demo for Warhead, see how it runs on my machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think its a bit retarded that they keep quoting CPU requirements in GHz, since different architectures will give different performance levels at the same clock speed. Is that 3.2GHz in a crappy old pentium 4, or 3.2ghz in a spanky new Core 2/Phenom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I only got a new rig there last month and crysis was the first game I bought for it, and I thought it was awesome. I found no issues at all with the weapons or the enemy health. I used the assault rifle the Koreans drop, the F701 or whatever it was called, for the whole game, with the medium scope and silencer attachments. I tried the shotgun once or twice but that was it. The Korean rifle was a damn fine substitute for the ammo-deprived scar. Cloak + silencer + head shots = one shot kills and very satisfying ambushes. Even if I missed the headshot I found a single burst to the chest was enough to take them down.

Warhead will be an insta-buy for me.

• Review up on ign, looks great. Also i see you can preorder on Steam now aswell.
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/909/909584p1.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Loved the original, my only complaint was when you
    enter the alien ship, it was great first time around but anytime I replayed the game, I would only play up to the point where you kill that Korean general. The I just said "meh", can't be arsed going through all that floating

I will definitely be getting warhead. Although Im wondering how much it will retail in Ireland. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of shops throw full price on it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I actually liked the original a lot, my main gripe was that it felt like a game that ended in the middle. For the amount of hype it generated I don't think it was possible that it could of lived up to peoples expectations. You see the same happening now with spore.

Also a lot of people felt had by the claims it was going to be sandbox like Farcry, which it really wasn't. Farcry let you go wherever you wanted, whereas Crysis just made the linear path forward a lot wider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Likewise, I really enjoyed Crysis until it got to the alien ship shíte, finished it anyway but didn't really enjoy from that part onwards. I'm hoping this ones as good as the first half of the original. I buy very few games, but this one I'm buying for the reason that Crytek are one of the few pc only developers out there and I'm hoping they stay pc only, I'm sick of console ports.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Likewise, I really enjoyed Crysis until it got to the alien ship shíte, finished it anyway but didn't really enjoy from that part onwards. I'm hoping this ones as good as the first half of the original. I buy very few games, but this one I'm buying for the reason that Crytek are one of the few pc only developers out there and I'm hoping they stay pc only, I'm sick of console ports.

They're with EA, so I'd say any console ports will be farmed off to another team ala the PS3 version of the Orange Box...
    In hindsight, I did kind of enjoy Crysis up until the alien ship (at least it wasn't a total dog egg up until that point)
    Got to the last boss and couldn't even be bothered beating it, the last few hours of the game provided absolutely NO enjoyment for me...

Might grab this anyway for the same reasons as yourself, sure it's only €21 on play anyway:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

You have to have a good machine to enjoy Crysis, I don't mean high spec, Just enough that you can actually play the game smoothly, Its going to be great seeing from Psychos part of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Downloaded the Crysis demo {there won't be one for Warhead until post launch, if at all}.
    It ran well enough, most details at medium, so it looked 'fine' (pop-in is terrible though).
    Gameplay wise I wasn't blown away, kind of bored by it and the characters/writing/plot didn't help either.. I enjoyed the vehicle combat, reminded me of Far Cry (obviously). Didn't like how the weapons handled actually. Really stuck in my mind as floaty and detached. *shrugs*

Depending on how much Warhead is I might give a whirl, but colour me un-impressed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Crysis?

Gorgeous engine. Mediocre game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Krieg wrote: »
    Loved the original, my only complaint was when you
    enter the alien ship, it was great first time around but anytime I replayed the game, I would only play up to the point where you kill that Korean general. The I just said "meh", can't be arsed going through all that floating

I will definitely be getting warhead. Although Im wondering how much it will retail in Ireland. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of shops throw full price on it

I agree with your comment in the Spoiler. It's on Steam for US$29.99, so around €24ish? Quite a great price for that, but I will wait until the DRM reports come in before purchasing.

Pete4779 wrote: »
    I agree with your comment in the Spoiler. It's on Steam for US$29.99, so around €24ish? Quite a great price for that, but I will wait until the DRM reports come in before purchasing.

As I mentioned above, €21 on play.com
    I'm all for steam, but not if you can get a boxed copy of the game cheaper (works out at €25.61 including vat on steam)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

tman wrote: »
    As I mentioned above, €21 on play.com
    I'm all for steam, but not if you can get a boxed copy of the game cheaper (works out at €25.61 including vat on steam)

It is released a day earlier on steam: 18th of september for worldwide steam release.

Play won't be releasing it until a day later and you still are waiting a few days for it to come in the post....

So if you are an impatient git: a couple of quid extra for the steam version is worth it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I wasn't expecting much from this if I'm honest but I just read a review that says:
    Warhead honestly is the finest burst of action gaming released so far this year,

Apparently they made a short (5 hrs but budget price) brilliant game that fixes a lot of the criticisms people had about Crysis.

Review is here. I think I might pick this up when it's released.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

didn't halo3 get similar reviews?

didn't halo3 get similar reviews?

And the original Crysis...
    There's already another thread about it on this page btw

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

had a look but couldn't see it. Anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Does anyone know when it is being released in Ireland? Nowhere seems to have a firm release date. Gamestop say its the 26th of Sep. Internet says its the 19th. Some retailers are even saying its october.
    Any clues?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Does anyone know when it is being released in Ireland? Nowhere seems to have a firm release date. Gamestop say its the 26th of Sep. Internet says its the 19th. Some retailers are even saying its october.
    Any clues?

It's hit the torrents already, so tomorrow or next week seem most likely.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I see this uses a DRM system similar to Spore where it has a limited number of activations. The current number of activations is unknown though, should be announced today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Stev_o wrote: »
    I played 3/4 of Crysis on low settings then when i got a new graphics card i finished it on high settings. I recently went back to it for the craic and i was disappointed.

I just felt the gun mechanics didnt work well, lack of ammo for the only decent gun is frustrating and dew to the fact that enemies need to be shot around 30 times just gets on your nerves. Its frustrating that if you plan a ambush and execute it you'll have to run away or stealth to reload etc.

I tried to play as much as i could in a kind of stealth theme but thats near impossible dew to the enemies having so much health and the guns having a bigger sway then Armed Assault! I would of loved a combat it would have made things alot easier in situations and added alot to the overall experience.

In the end the you usually end up with the whole clock /shotgun/run away/cloak/shotgun OR stealth into a area set up camp in one of the Command hubs get everyones attention and camp while every single NK runs into your position not knowing whats going on and just being plain dumb.

Found i had to shoot enemys 30/40 times myslef, driving me mad, point blank head shots having no effect :mad: My housmate had no such problems on an SLI machine. My machine is a qx9650 and a x1950, not really that shabby but when i dropped the res from1680x1050 to 1200x800 (i think) it ran fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Got this from Steam last night - it was released at 2am. Includes Crysis Wars which I didn't know.

Advertisement