Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis - Warhead

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Branoic wrote: »
    I think that's for a full installation plus the Crysis Wars multiplayer disc. With my retail version it's only taking up 5 gigs - didn't bother with Crysis Wars, and with a custom install of the main game you can choose to not install a whole host of language packs, each one nearly taking up a gig!

oh rite cool,whats crysis wars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Its the multiplayer game of the expansion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

oh right cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I only installed crysis wars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Only getting around to this now as I've been overclocking and tweaking my sig rig for the past while.

Have to say this game runs smooth as silk with a 4870x2 with everything at very high, 2x AA and a res of 1680x1050, i'm getting a constant 40+fps in the heavy action areas.

So far I'm really likeing it. I absolutely LOVE the dual Uzi's, reminds of the lobby scene with Neo, running at a bunch of Koreans unloading one Uzi, then moving right over to the second Uzi, then taking out the last guy with a swift punch to the face. Unloading both of them at the same time is also very satisfying.

It's also hilarious running into a battle with a load of guys and taking them out by throwing crabs and grouse at them with strength on. Also it never gets old stealthing up to one of those armoured APC's, attaching some C4 to it then watching the fireworks. The explosions in this game with the graphics at very high are second to none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Saw a bit of this at a mates house and jesus holy christ it's impressive. Nothing like it really.

Saw a bit of this at a mates house and jesus holy christ it's impressive. Nothing like it really.

yeah its a great showpiece game to start up when friends come over and start spouting on about how impressive console games look. With everything set at very high the draw distances, explosions and character models are excellent. Also, considering swimming is such a small part of this game they have really made it look fantastic. The water, and the effects when you enter and leave it are what people tend to comment on the most.

The action in this expansion is also really well laid out. Each area you have to attack has multiple ways of accomplishing your task. You can run in like Arnie and just unloading with dual uzi's or you can stealth around the perimeter and knock out soldiers with tranq darts, accomplish your mission and leave without killing a single person.

My only gripes is they still haven't changed the amazing eyesight of the badguys, if you stand up a mile away from them they'll start shooting at you. Also Helicopters can still track you even though you are under complete tree cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Also Helicopters can still track you even though you are under complete tree cover.
    or if they are facing away from you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Also Helicopters can still track you even though you are under complete tree cover.

Maybe they have infrared cameras like those police choppers? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

What most impressed me was the subtlety of some of the effects, like the water refracting the light when you are underwater. I'm a console gamer, mostly because I can't afford to be a PC one, but I acknowledge that there is nothing even in the league of this on consoles.

• Advertisement

What most impressed me was the subtlety of some of the effects, like the water refracting the light when you are underwater. I'm a console gamer, mostly because I can't afford to be a PC one, but I acknowledge that there is nothing even in the league of this on consoles.

here's some screenshots I took just there

The second last photo is the way I like to finish off the guy who's unfortunate enough to be the last one killed. I'll usually stealth up to them, grab them, then switch to strength and throw them at the sun.

Finished it there last night. It's about as long as CoD4 or the original Crysis. Maybe I made it last longer by exploring the area a lot and not just bombing along through the levels in a humvee. I pretty much stopped to take out the baddies whenever any of them had the nerve to shoot at me.

It's a lot like the original, the first half is very open plan, the second half is all iced over and linear. I liked the cut scenes a lot more though in this one than in the original, I guess because this one goes third person so you can actually see Psycho whereas in the original it stays first person always.

IMO, I actually like Psycho more than Nomad, they put in a lot more effort to give him dept then they did with Nomad in the original

For the price I'd definitely recommend picking this one up... if your PC can handle it that is. It's definitely a game that needs to be played with the graphics set at "Enthusiast" to get the full effect and immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Yeah I liked the first half, very open and fun. But second half felt limited to me, bit like the original. I hope crytek take notes on this, its an area I think they should improve

Anyone try crysis wars?, Im still playing it regularly but just the one map - Battleground. Great map, very open, countless vehicles to use and theres a great balance between being on foot and being in a vehicle i.e.: If your in a tank, your not necessarily going to beat everyone on their feet

Krieg wrote: »
    Anyone try crysis wars?

I don't know if I'd like it. In the game I like the fact you can use surprise to your advantage and that your suit means you can take on an army on your own.

In the multiplayer everyone has the same suit so it turns it into just another generic online shooter.

It would be better if they had a mode where one side made up of 12 players plays as the Koreans defending a base and numerous objectives, and then the other team play in the suits and can either stealth into the base and complete the objectives or they can try and take out all the Koreans. At the end of every round the players could switch on a rotation basis.

some more screenshots I took in game, you can turn the HUD off by bringing up the console and typing "cl_hud 0"

This has to be one of the first games I've played in a long time where I've wrapped it then started it over straight away. Playing through it now trying to use as much stealth as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

LOL they had the nerve to sell this for €45 in gamestop galway where across the street in hmv the were selling it for €25.
    Great game tho!
    Much Better pacing than the original IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

hal9000 wrote: »
    LOL they had the nerve to sell this for €45 in gamestop galway where across the street in hmv the were selling it for €25.

I am not one bit surprised
    I knew some retailers would try it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

hal9000 wrote: »
    Great game tho!
    Much Better pacing than the original IMHO.

Went to Smyths in cork last night to pick this up. E54.99 !!! I thought it was a mistake and checked a few more boxes. No mistake. Went to Gamestop in Douglas E44.99. A bit better but still, c'mon like. Its an expansion pack ffs. Available on Play.com and Amazon.co.uk for E20 with free post from play. Gonna try HMV over the weekend. Seriously Smyths are taking the mick.

took a load more screenshots, you can see them here:

http://leimrod.com/crysis-warhead-screenshots/

This one in particular I think is excellent. It's better than even the quality of CGI movies from a few years ago and this is in game graphics.

00058.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Jeez, thats a good shot, look at the detail on his face

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Jeez, thats a good shot, look at the detail on his face

Yeah I've set it as my wallpaper. It's getting very close to the uncanny valley effect though. Even though his skin textures are very real, they can never seem to get the mouth and eyes right in CGI. I noticed the same problem in Beowulf. The eyes always look vacant and the mouth movement always appears to be stretching instead of the natural flexing of facial muscles.

Still I really like that there are cinematic sequences between areas and that you can actually see the character you are playing as.

I also think that seeing the emotive reaction on your characters face changes the way you approach the next area. In the above sequence Psycho got pretty pissed off, so for the next area I used only dual UZI's, a minigun and a shotgun, as well as grabbing people and throwing them 60 ft into the air, as if I was as angry as him I'd use the weapons that create the most noise and damage.

Advertisement