Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An opinion on older women who try too hard?

Options
  • 12-09-2008 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi girls,
    My name is Sarah, i'm 28 and i work in Penny's in a well-know shopping centre in Dublin which shall remain nameless.

My question is why do some older women try too hard to look 'sexy'?. There's two women who live in the same area i do, they frequent Penny's every Friday or Saturday and they always look the same?

The first woman, a neighbour of mine, is about 45, quite busty, but she has men leering at her all of the time. Her hair is dyed redddish, she goes for the black heels, tight black trousers and tops that show all clevage on display.

The second woman, is about 50, not great looking, but again quite busty (they look fake), she again wears tight trousers, and again goes for low-cut tops. Men drool all over her in Pennys also.

My questions are...what do you think of women like this? And, if you are inclined to dress this way, are you really craving attention?:o

Thanks.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Seems to me that they're trying to hold on to the past years and make the most of what they've got (or haven't, which ever way you look at it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Maybe they weren't able to dress like that when they were young and want to enjoy themselves now? You could always ask them? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Their age really shouldn't influence your opinion on this matter. Whether they were 80 or 18 and letting it all hang out people will look at them. If they want to wear those clothes, feel comfortable wearing them and like the attention they get who are they harming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

THFC1 wrote: »
    Hi girls,
    My name is Sarah, i'm 28 and i work in Penny's in a well-know shopping centre in Dublin which shall remain nameless.

My question is why do some older women try too hard to look 'sexy'?. There's two women who live in the same area i do, they frequent Penny's every Friday or Saturday and they always look the same?

The first woman, a neighbour of mine, is about 45, quite busty, but she has men leering at her all of the time. Her hair is dyed redddish, she goes for the black heels, tight black trousers and tops that show all clevage on display.

The second woman, is about 50, not great looking, but again quite busty (they look fake), she again wears tight trousers, and again goes for low-cut tops. Men drool all over her in Pennys also.

My questions are...what do you think of women like this? And, if you are inclined to dress this way, are you really craving attention?:o

Thanks.;)
    They're happy, they're obviously looking good to some people - what's the issue here? Oh yeah, their age... what difference does the year they were born/number of years they're alive make? Surely they can dress how they want to dress and not have to dress in a way others think they should, purely based on their age? Seems like they've got the bods for it so more power to them. It affects nobody else. :)

What do you propose they should wear?

I find even people - sorry women, it's always just women - in their 40s and 50s who look absolutely fantastic dressed in short skirts or whatever still get judged because they have the "audacity" to do it at their age... usually by other women.
    Wow, if they like looking good and they DO look good it's kinda nuts that they shouldn't. And attention seeking? Just by looking good?

I bet if ages didn't exist there wouldn't be half as much judging of women's appearance...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Why do you care?

• Advertisement

I have clevage. I get comments from people if I were medium-low cut tops.
    But they aren't all hanging out. Nowhere near.
    As a percentage of the total flesh on show I'm not showing more than others.

I refrain from making negative comments on peoples clothing choices, unless I am directly asked to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They're dressing in a way that they like; it seems to be having the effect that they are looking for, so I would say more power to them.

You may feel differently in 15-20 years when wearing anything other than frumpy gear draws nasty comments from younger women.

And eh what is slutty and attention seeking about reddish hair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I agree with the majority--so what? They're comfortable, apparently, they aren't asking you to do the same, let them enjoy themselves and their bodies. Frankly, I hope I still look good enough to rock out with my tits out when I'm in my 50s. Women tear each other down enough, let's get off of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Maybe they have a better appreciation of their appearance when they're older and have to try harder than they would in their 20's. I can think of one example of a woman who still wears short skirts and gets funny comments and while I wouldn't say she's that great looking, I've seen much worse looking teenagers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Every guy in the 16-40 age bracket reading the OP is just having dirty, Mrs Robinson thoughts, tbh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Was waiting for your reply dudess, afetr the last thread we had on this.:D

Am now ini dudess way of thinking, women are constantly critisized by women, people should wear what they want, if they look good then why comment?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

fits wrote: »
    Why do you care?
    Exactly what i was wondering. If i want to walk through penneys in hotpants and wellington boots its my business. Why are we so obsessed with how everyone else looks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

OP
    I hope when I hit the 40-50 mark that men are still leering at me!!:D

Fair play to them!!

Quality wrote: »
    I hope when I hit the 40-50 mark that men are still leering at me!!:D

Ouh I do pity the teenage sons of MILF's though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Sounds fine to me- a woman who takes care of herself and can still strut is alright:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Ouh I do pity the teenage sons of MILF's though.
    A friend of mine is 37 and she is a granny!!!

We call her the GILF!! She is gorgeous though!!!

I cant believe your not sisters- the wan with that worn and haggart and been up all night with the sick baby is my daughter -me Im just back ftrom the Gym:p

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

OP I think that you've got...just too much time on your hands.
    They're just women who look after themselves for christsakes.:rolleyes:

Come to think of it all women should try harder to please men.

Every Sunday morning they should satisfy yer every need- light you a ciggerette and bring you a crispy bacon sandwich and coffee.And while your relaxin enjoyen that draw a bath pick up yer Sunday paper - lay out yer robe and give ya a rub down.

Make you a nice lunch while ya watch the telly.

NOW THATS TRYING HARD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

CDfm wrote: »
    Come to think of it all women should try harder to please men.

Every Sunday morning they should satisfy yer every need- light you a ciggerette and bring you a crispy bacon sandwich and coffee.And while your relaxin enjoyen that draw a bath pick up yer Sunday paper - lay out yer robe and give ya a rub down.

Make you a nice lunch while ya watch the telly.

NOW THATS TRYING HARD.

How come you don't post in BGRH? Eh, I mean that's shocking talk and won't be tolerated on this forum. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

My mother is in her fifties and still beautiful.

I hope she never feels that she should become old and frumpy before her time, or suffer the harsh criticism of younger women who would prefer her to be 'past it'.

Whatever 'it' is....

Amazing how critical -women can be of other women.

Was out with a friend tonite - a lady of a certain age but older than your mother - but she is witty and has scandalous conversation and a filthy laugh.

My date last week was dismal company by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wickedwino

I think cleavage is great. If you've got it flaunt it!! Once they are not wearing belly tops with rolls of flesh hanging over the tight trousers they're ok !And PLEASE wear the right underwear!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My mother is in her fifties and still beautiful.

I hope she never feels that she should become old and frumpy before her time, or suffer the harsh criticism of younger women who would prefer her to be 'past it'.

Whatever 'it' is....
    My mum is 61 and looks amazing.
    wickedwino wrote: »
    I think cleavage is great. If you've got it flaunt it!! Once they are not wearing belly tops with rolls of flesh hanging over the tight trousers they're ok !And PLEASE wear the right underwear!!!:D
    The muffin-top - more of a teenage/early 20s thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Maybe op should be trying harder and have the men looking at her instead of a 50 year old woman.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mickdw wrote: »
    Maybe op should be trying harder and have the men looking at her instead of a 50 year old woman.

And maybe you should do your trolling and shít stirring elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I don't really understand what the problem is with an older woman looking after herself and celebrating her attractiveness...

I don't understand the language the op uses either - what does 'too hard' mean exactly? And who decides how hard a woman should try? Is there a cutoff point at which women should wear support tights and cardigans to prevent younger women from feeling threatened by mature sexuality?

I hope when I'm fifty I'll be happy enough with my body to enjoy a little flaunting...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Trying: tailored, boot-cut trousers in a pale colour with a front pleat over a high wedge sandal, with painted, pedicured toes, along with a fitted silk blouse with a plunging neckline.

Trying too hard: skin tight lycra leggings with an obvious g-string, high heel platforms with a transparent heel and sole combo, a translucent leopardskin print top with a plunging neckline over a black wonderbra, visible through the blouse.

This is Penny's of course, international house of high fashion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

+1 on the "fair play to them" comment tbh!

Why shouldn't women over 25 (or under for that fact!) dress and act any way they want as long as they don't hurt anyone? Once you pass 30 your confidence (or lack of caring about others opinions maybe) seems to build and you can multiply that 10 fold when you pass 40 and I'm sure when you pass 50 too!

Go on ladeez!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement