Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Down lights Bathroom

Options
  • 12-09-2008 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,

Could somebody tell me what are the proper down lights to get for a bathroom. The lights are going to be built into a wooden frame which is built around the bath. They will be at the bottom of the frame giving light effect out onto the tiled floor. Just need to know what lights to get as the wiring is already in place for them.

Thanks,
    tdavfc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

tdavfc wrote: »
    Hi,

Could somebody tell me what are the proper down lights to get for a bathroom. The lights are going to be built into a wooden frame which is built around the bath. They will be at the bottom of the frame giving light effect out onto the tiled floor. Just need to know what lights to get as the wiring is already in place for them.

Thanks,
    tdavfc

For safety they should be low voltage with the transformer well away from any water source. 12 volt

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tdavfc

Thanks for the quick response Johnny... I am putting in three spots should I try to get them with one transformer or three separate transformers.

Thanks again

tdavfc wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response Johnny... I am putting in three spots should I try to get them with one transformer or three separate transformers.

Thanks again

A separate traffo for each is best.
    Whay don't you consider a hidden rope light, it would give you a more even light distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Ikea do spots specifically for the bathroom

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Ikea do spots specifically for the bathroom

Any Electrical wholesaler will sell bathroom spots ( Steamproof)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i did this for a relation of mine and we used an ip 65 rated kit of 4 small led lights, the cables from the lights all plug into the same traffo and were long enough to allow us to put the traffo in the hotpress for accessability and for safety. we were able to get a feed from the lighting circut and a switch down trough the hotpress also.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tdavfc

Thanks a million for the replies guys... Like the rope idea was sort of looking for something different. The wiring is already there that a Spark did for me when we were renovating the house. I think I will just have to seal the wiring up well as when I Install the lights they will be closed in for good and the from wood cover on the bath will be tiled.

Thanks Again,
    tdavfc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

in relation to rope light, the two types available in this country that i know of are neon and led. imo the led gives off a much better light when it is hidden or concealed, its brighter and washes the area with colour much better then the neon type which is only effective if used where it is visable. there are other led type strips which ar dimmable and colour changing but they cost an arm and a leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

There is a company called robus that make lights for this exact application. Call them up and ask where you local distributor is. Most wholesales in Ireland will carry this brand

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

Can somebody tell me the difference between low voltage downlighters and mains downlighters. does it save you any money????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

Low voltage actually uses a little more power due to the consumption of the transformer.

Mains voltage recessed downlighters come in 3 different types.
    Normal incandesant - like a normal bulb but normally has a reflective back.
    Halogen - very different looking, normally has 1000 hour life, but gives out better light that incandesant because the halogen gas lets it burn at highier temp.
    CFL - Compact Flouresent, which is an energy saving lamp (not really up to much as of yet)

Low Voltage is normally always at 12 volts and the most popular lamp is an mr16. The mr16 normally has a 2000 hour life or very good quality ones have 5000 hours. They need a transformer, but the light quality is much better than the mains voltage version as the light doesnt disapate as much. There is also new "IRC" versions out that use 35 Watts and give you 50 Watt output

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

also in a bathroom, there is the added isolation safety feature offered from a transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

Can anyone tell me how to wire a Geothermal Heating System. What supplies do I need?. Is it 5 x 1.5 i run to all the stats. What is the easiest way of wiring for it??????

Advertisement