Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interleaving and Latency

Options
  • 12-09-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Will an isp change this upon request? or is it soley up to eircom and if so would eircom make any changes?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Will an isp change this upon request? or is it soley up to eircom and if so would eircom make any changes?

Depends on the ISP, Smart will if you post on their forums, as to whether any customer service can either understand or be willing to is a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Anyone selling bitstream does not have the ability to change the interleaving settings themselves, eircom must do this for them. Simply not possible as the DSLAM sets this based on the profile assigned to the port.

It's a trade off - line stability, lower speeds & high medium Interleaving = higher latency or unstable line, higher speeds & Low interleaving = lower latency and everything in between depending on line length and quality.

Most LLU providers will, on request (including ourselves) as they have their own DSLAMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

I've BT 24MB line, they removed interleaving to improve my ping for games. I currently get a 38-50 ping to UK. On my old 3MB line i got 17-28. Exchange across the road from my house. Awful! Changing to Magnet as soon as my contract is up with BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

crawler wrote: »
    Anyone selling bitstream does not have the ability to change the interleaving settings themselves, eircom must do this for them. Simply not possible as the DSLAM sets this based on the profile assigned to the port.

It's a trade off - line stability, lower speeds & high medium Interleaving = higher latency or unstable line, higher speeds & Low interleaving = lower latency and everything in between depending on line length and quality.

Most LLU providers will, on request (including ourselves) as they have their own DSLAMS.

Who are ye?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

barnicles wrote: »
    Who are ye?

The link in his sig wasn't a giveaway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Spear wrote: »
    The link in his sig wasn't a giveaway?

I'm on mobile,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Smart :)

Advertisement