Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI to have Tribute Night for Dave Langan

• 12-09-2008 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

26-times capped Dave Langan has said that he is honoured that the FAI and the Irish Professional Footballers and Education Trust have come together to stage a tribute night for him on Saturday, October 11 in the Burlington Hotel, Dublin 4.

The purpose of the Irish Professional Footballers and Education Trust is to provide financial support for professional footballers who have played for the Republic of Ireland or in the eircom League of Ireland.

Details of the tribute night were announced on Friday in the Burlington Hotel, where Dave Langan attended along with members of the organising committee and members of the Irish Professional Footballers and Education Trust.

FAI Chief Executive John Delaney said: “Dave Langan belonged to the pre-EURO ’88 era but he still has a place in the hearts of Irish fans because he was a player who always gave 100 per cent.

Anybody who has watched him in action remembers him surging flank and this Tribute night is a great opportunity for everybody to say ‘Thank You’ to a great servant.”

Dave Langan, who grew up in the shadow of Lansdowne Road where he played some of his greatest games in the green jersey, won his caps between 1978 and 1987.

His career began at Bath Rangers and when he was 15 he transferred to Cherry Orchard. He then moved to Derby County making his League debut against Leeds United, and he went on to make the Number 2 jersey his own.

Once at Derby, Dave didn’t have long to wait for a call from international team manager John Giles who gave him his first international cap against Turkey at Lansdowne Road.

Dave’s present problems stem from an injury sustained playing for Ireland in a thrilling 3-2 World Cup victory over France. He had been transferred to Birmingham City for what was then a massive £350,000, and had his first knee operation in that city.

A cracked vertebrae sustained in the gym left him out of action from February 1983 until the summer of 1984 when Birmingham released him but Oxford manager Jim Smith, who had signed him for Birmingham, swooped to sign him.

“I am honoured and deeply grateful to the Trust, with the assistance of the FAI and the Organising committee, for arranging this tribute night in my honour.

“It was a proud moment for me when I received my Eircom Legend award at Croke Park last May at half-time of the match against Serbia and I was overwhelmed by the reaction of the fans.

“I am really looking forward to October 11 and I would like to thank everybody who has already agreed to support the event.”

The Dave Langan Tribute Night will take place on Saturday, October 11 in the Burlington Hotel, Dublin 4 and will include a pre-dinner drinks reception, a five-star gala dinner and a charity auction. Tables of ten cost €1,500 and individual places are available at €150 per person.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3584

For once Kudos to the FAI for doing this and listening to the Fans who started this campaign on www.ybig.ie/forum

Advertisement