Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speeds gone to sheeite?

Options
  • 12-09-2008 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else out there is experiencing erratic broadband speeds? Im with NTL out in Knocknacara and it's gone to the dogs lately, not far off dial up:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Theres a similar thread lower down

My ntl BB has been fine apart from the hiccups during the previous month (Renmore btw)

There are plenty of threads about this both here and in the tech > cable > broadband forum. It seems to be a problem nationally on the NTL network over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

my connection was fine the last few days but is very slow today.

i have a 10meg connection and when i run a speed test it returns at less than 1meg.

ill see what its like tomorrow before complaining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

They've been putting new lines down in Renmore the last few days anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Cheers for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

i have a 10meg connection and when i run a speed test it returns at less than 1meg.

Excuse my ignorance but how do you check the speed of your connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

my connection was fine the last few days but is very slow today.

ill see what its like tomorrow before complaining?

Have you checked the contention ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but how do you check the speed of your connection?

www.speedtest.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I have a 10 Meg connection but it's less than 1 Meg at the moment.
    I'm on Lough atalia Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Try testing through the Dublin or Limerick servers on speedtest.net and you will see much better download speeds.

Like I said in the other thread, I tested downloading a bunch of files from rapidshare, and am getting my usual 1.2MB/s. Testing through the Galway server on speedtest shows a struggling 1-1.5Mb/s. (I'm on the 10Mb package.)

There are some upgrades taking place on the UPC lines in Galway. I wouldn't be too concerned, tbh.

Note: MB = MegaByte, Mb = Megabit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Speedtest is total garbage, NEVER trust that for an accurate reading of your speed.
    It's saying that I'm getting 678kb/s down at the moment, so less than a 1Mb connection. Yet downloading from Heanet is maxing out my line at over 20 times that speed.

Haven't had any problems with my connection recently (UPC 20Mb), they've definitely improved for me from when they used to go down for an entire weekend at a time!

Advertisement