Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone said something interesting to me the other day

• 12-09-2008 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

It was-

'I think people confuse gratification with happiness'

To what extent do you agree with this statement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I see the idea in that, basically if you're talking about instant gratification I would break it down into these terms

Will you be happier doing

(a) eating junk food, sitting around all day on the net, playing video games getting drunk all the time, learning nothing, never developing talents

or

(b) exercising-getting fitter, studying up on a topic of interest, improving in areas that you're weak in to become good, mastering an instrument etc.

One is easier and gives instant happiness, the other involves a degree of effort/pain but results in what I would think to be greater happiness overall.

Of course moderation is good, wasting time sometimes is a welcome distraction, but using it efficiently to increase happiness just seems better to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Interesting. I think he meant gratification as in 'what everyone thinks about said person' though, just to clarify what I think he was getting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭spoutwell

Gratification is filling a need or a perceived need like having a dump or eating your dinner. You don't need to be happy to go through with gratification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Gratification has an object. I am grateful because some desire has been fulfilled.
    Happiness, on the other hand is purely subjective. 'I feel happy', it needs no object.

So, lets say I make a lot of money or score with the girl (boy) of my desire. Yes, I am grateful. Yes, the object of my desire has been fulfilled.
    But.........Am I always happy when my desires are fulfilled?
    Therefore, fulfilling desire (self-gratification) does not always lead to happiness. ('hedonist treadmill' argument?)

Gratification implies a compulsion to satisy a desire. One can't be happy if one is being forced to do something.
    You can be happy eating if you're hungry. Slurping down 10 pints because you're too slack to go home is a different scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Miacc

if you mean gratification in the sense of what people think about you - I do think some people confuse gratification with happiness, more so if you're the type of person who sets that as a criteria for happiness or places a high personal value on a good reputation/ belonging/ being seen positively etc. - but people confuse a lot of things with happiness, in my opinion :confused: (not excluding myself from this btw!:)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rabid_Ewok

You can also say that being forced to do something might not always result in unhappiness. Maybe you're a lazy fool and because someone forced you into going outside to mow the lawn does not mean you're unhappy. It might actually make you feel better...like a catalyst of sort.

1st time post, keep it real guys I like this

Let's face it, nothing feels the same as getting a good kicking. Like what the f*** was that? And I'm still around. Or collapsing after a nice marathon. The bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I get gratification when I cum.

I'm happy when I'm dating a girl I like.

Simple as that really.

And the bits in between??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

you are gratified when you fulfil a need... i like satiated better

when you are happy, you have found hope for a fleeting moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement