Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat TDI Pre Delivery Pump Failure

• 12-09-2008 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

On my way to work yesterday morning and the car (06 1.9tdi passat) broke down. Pre Delivery Pump has gone in the fuel tank. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this before in the new 05 or early 06 models? The car is out of warranty a few months so I'm hoping I get some sort of a good will gesture from the people at v dub.

BTW setting me back 400 lids including labour. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Seen it once before - it left the driver stranded with his sick mother-in-law in a remote location in Limerick. Thankfully the car in question was still under warranty.

I'd be looking for a serious goodwill contribution if I was you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

It happened the boss car when crusing on motorway about 18 months ago. It was a '06 1.9 TDi also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

happened me on the way to Belfast for the day earlier this year. Ironically, as the car was a UK import, Volkswagen Ireland wouldn't cover it, (2 year warranty vs 3 year, but they still wouldn't honour the UK warranty :( ) so if I had gone into a dealer up north to get it fixed, they would have covered it.

As it was, the car was very hesitant in certain revs, this got progressively worse, the car was undrivable the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bbability wrote: »
    On my way to work yesterday morning and the car (06 1.9tdi passat) broke down. Pre Delivery Pump has gone in the fuel tank. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this before in the new 05 or early 06 models? The car is out of warranty a few months so I'm hoping I get some sort of a good will gesture from the people at v dub.

BTW setting me back 400 lids including labour. :(

I'm pretty sure I hear our aftersales manager on to a VW dealer about exactly the same thing on Thursday. Fuel Pump in the tank gone on a 05 or 06 Passat 1.9 which is just out of warranty.

I'll see what I can find on Monday, but it doesn't look like yours is an isolated incident.

It's a common problem on the 1.9 TDI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I had the fuel pump go in my 06 passat in late january, just a few weeks after the warrenty expired. Local dealership replaced free of charge, they reckoned there was a fault in 05-early 06 fuel pumps and they had no problem deaing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Whats a "Pre Delivery Pump" or is that just another way of saying fuel pump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

The problem with the Fuel pumps and delivery pumps in the PD TDI engines particularly ones in the Passat is that they are running at a pressure never seen in engines before 5000 psi? afaik (somewhere around that) thus they are very sensitive to the absolutely rubbish quality diesel in ireland.

20% of irish diesel comes from supurious sources i.e northern red diesel washed with acid and dropped to the filling station at night that has the lowest prices more times than not.

this acid causes the pumps to fail very quickly. its very hard to get good diesel, but i bet that if your car had seen only good diesel there would be no problem.
    I dont mean offence in ANY way saying that you put bad diesel in, i'm blaming the spurious diesel sellers

VW have been very good so far and have replaced the parts damaged by something that isnt their fault. many other retailers wouldn't do that i.e Lexus and the Tesco petrol problems in the UK in the mid-ninties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Happened my grandfathers 06 TDI as well. Nothing to do with diesel, it isn't much more than a glorified garden fountain pump.

Watch the turbo, it can go to, as well i know. But mine went within warrenty although it was another recognised problem that the dealership indicated would be replaced outside warrenty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Top Dog wrote: »
    Whats a "Pre Delivery Pump" or is that just another way of saying fuel pump?

The main fuel pump on a common rail (or Pumpe/Duese with older VW's) diesel is the injection pump. This works under immense pressure. But it is a pressure pump, not a suction pump, pumping fuel into the engine, not sucking it out of the tank. So there has to be a pre-delivery pump in or near the tank that supplies the injection pump with a constant fuel supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

KatCookie wrote: »
    The problem with the Fuel pumps and delivery pumps in the PD TDI engines particularly ones in the Passat is that they are running at a pressure never seen in engines before 5000 psi? afaik (somewhere around that) thus they are very sensitive to the absolutely rubbish quality diesel in ireland.

20% of irish diesel comes from supurious sources i.e northern red diesel washed with acid and dropped to the filling station at night that has the lowest prices more times than not.

this acid causes the pumps to fail very quickly. its very hard to get good diesel, but i bet that if your car had seen only good diesel there would be no problem.
    I dont mean offence in ANY way saying that you put bad diesel in, i'm blaming the spurious diesel sellers

VW have been very good so far and have replaced the parts damaged by something that isnt their fault. many other retailers wouldn't do that i.e Lexus and the Tesco petrol problems in the UK in the mid-ninties

20 % Jaysus that is a startling amount of doctored diesel but I presume you have this figure from a realible source

Why didn't vw test the diesel for the offending acid?

the tesco petrol contained silicone & other comtaminated mixtures which would void any warranty it is up to vw to prove same

20% of diesel with acids is a frightning figure we use circa 170 ltrs per week ,always buy at the cheapest source so far have been lucky ... touch wood..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Yeah its a known problem with the Passat, and there is a modified fuel pump that resolves the issue. I'd suggest going to your local Volkswagen dealer argue your case and see what they can do for you. I'd be very surprised if they charged you the full whack for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Its hard to believe that there hasn't been a recall on this. The more I read the more I can relate to the symptoms. Car not idling right all week and I was putting it down to dirty diesel as I didn't fill up in my usual spot. It was a brand new petrol station in north Dublin.

Anyway just to say that I am very happy so far with the dealership that has the car. I know some of the VW dealerships come under fire here and in some cases rightly so but I have to say they have been very honest and open about the whole thing even down to the proceedure to appeal the bill with MDL. Fingers crossed I get something back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

As far as I know it is only a recall if it is a safety issue.

yellow012 wrote: »
    As far as I know it is only a recall if it is a safety issue.
    It'd hardly be safe if the pump calved as someone was trundling along a motorway at 70mph :eek:

Agreed, and mine calved in the middle of the narrowest street in Ballybofey with an artic up my exhaust pipe. Cue major inconvenience and embaressment.:eek::eek:

Should I consider myself lucky that the '06 TDI I brought back from the UK earlier this year was faultless for my 1000 mile journey?!

Top Dog wrote: »
    It'd hardly be safe if the pump calved as someone was trundling along a motorway at 70mph :eek:

you'll usually get some warning, like jumpy acceleration.

Ah. So it kinda fizzles rather than total implosion then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭davemac83

Just to let you know, I've recently had the same problem here in cork. Have a 06 Passat 1.9TDi which wasn't idling well, seemed to be junping or shuddering when left idling. On acceleration it shuddered as if it was under pressure (at 50mph???:mad:).

To make a long story boring, I brought it to a well known VW dealer in mid west cork who took it in, told me they were charging €700 on the Monday. When I collected the car on the Thursday they claimed they had to change the high pressure pump along with the main fuel pump?? Oh and by the way, that would be €900 now including the VAT.

Claimed my diesel was s***e and they had taken 2 litres of it out for inspection after they checked the diesel filter and found it was clogged. I get my diesel in the same place (local diesel and oil supplier) and rang them to let them know. The diesel guy flipped out demanding to know who serviced my car and wanted to get the sample as he felt I had some recourse against the VW dealer. That was yesterday so don't know what will happen now.

Has anyone else experinced this?? I presume there is no recourse with the VW dealer??

Very annoying.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

I have heard of this problem too. When the pump in my wife's 06 Passat started to get a bit noisy I rang my local VW service agent. They checked it out with MDL and told me that they would give me goodwill warranty as the car was 2.5 years old.

They covered the whole thing free of charge. The old pump still worked but did it as a preventative measure.

Thumbs up to Noel Deasy's in Cork. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

davemac83 wrote: »
    Has anyone else experinced this?? I presume there is no recourse with the VW dealer??
    Very annoying.........

See my post above. Get onto VW and ask them to cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

WOW This is a common problem!

2005 1.9 TDI - Delivery Pump Faulty Died

Only bought the car two weeks ago from a large non-VW Dealer :eek:
    Its been a long time coming I think, since I got it I noticed it would 'skip' slightly when cruising on motorways and would have a rough idle every now and then.

Then last week I had a couple of journeys when it wouldnt start until the 4 or 5th attempt! Took it back to the dealer on Monday and they replaced the filter thinking it was that, then yesterday the problem made its return.

I would literally be dribing along no problem then as soon as I stopped at a set of lights or anything it would die.

AA man got it going again by getting under the car and WHACKING the pump with a spanner :rolleyes:

Got me home but looks like it wont make it out to the dealer so back of a truck jobbey it is :mad:

nearly 3 months on and I still haven't got a penny out of them. Some bull**** about the garge having to make the claim on my behalf. I'll be naming and shaming by the end of the week if its not sorted:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6 banner08

have just had same problem with my 06 1.9 tdi passat. have it from new cut out as if no diesel eventuallt got it srarted again and got home .rang dealer he said vw have in last 2 weeks issued racall for this car for fuel pump and is being fixed tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I thought german cars were reliable.
    Seems not anymore.

Lets all buy Alfas, Citroens and Renaults instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

banner08 wrote: »
    have just had same problem with my 06 1.9 tdi passat. have it from new cut out as if no diesel eventuallt got it srarted again and got home .rang dealer he said vw have in last 2 weeks issued racall for this car for fuel pump and is being fixed tomorrow.

What dealer was this? I can't seem to find any recalls from googleing. I've noticed the odd skipping while cruising on my Passat 1.9TDI '05, by odd, I mean once a month... But if it's free, sure why not get it replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Had my 06 Passat in for a service a couple of weeks ago and they replaced the fuel pump under the recall. Its just certain pumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

it happened to me last year in my 07 passat, petrol though,
    middle of dublin city at 5 in the afternoon,the car just died,chaos ensued but i eventually got it pulled over to the kerb(f**king elec steering locks when car conks and is a major safety flaw imo) anyway when AA finally arrived the mechanic said before he even ran the diagnostic that he reckoned it was the fuel injection pump,and lo and behold it was. apparently,according to him, passats from 06 onwards were notorious for it. luckily i was covered under warranty but that didn't stop me expresing my feeling to my dealer, got a full tank of fuel as a goodwill gesture out of it, but according to the dealer that off the record there was a lot of cars back in with the same problem,must have been a faulty batch of parts but after getting the pump replaced i havent had a problem again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I got a letter in the post today from VW telling me that my 2006 Passat 2.0TDI has been recalled due to potential failure of the fuel pump and that I can drop it into a main dealer who will replace it FOC

Sorry for digging up an old post but it may be relevant to people who's cars are suffering from Fuel pump failures.

Just wondering, my car is an Irish car, but If you owned a Ex UK car would you still be informed by VGI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Got the recall letter today, in Galway. 06 1.9 TDI. Had a snear through the web and it appears that its a wear issue of the pump...or so they say?. At least they're doing it free of charge. Wouldn't like to be stopped in the middle of no where.

Moanin wrote: »
    I got a letter in the post today from VW telling me that my 2006 Passat 2.0TDI has been recalled due to potential failure of the fuel pump and that I can drop it into a main dealer who will replace it FOC

Sorry for digging up an old post but it may be relevant to people who's cars are suffering from Fuel pump failures.

Just wondering, my car is an Irish car, but If you owned a Ex UK car would you still be informed by VGI?
    ArraMusha wrote: »
    Got the recall letter today, in Galway. 06 1.9 TDI. Had a snear through the web and it appears that its a wear issue of the pump...or so they say?. At least they're doing it free of charge. Wouldn't like to be stopped in the middle of no where.

Did you get a recall number/case number on it? Do they send out letter to owners of second hand Passats, I wonder?

flanzer wrote: »
    Did you get a recall number/case number on it? Do they send out letter to owners of second hand Passats, I wonder?

Yip it's called Campaign 20M5 VW Passat TDI Fuel Pump

And yes mine is a second hand model

Yip it's called Campaign 20M5 VW Passat TDI Fuel Pump

And yes mine is a second hand model

Cheers, just rang the garage and they said it was done when I bought it April...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Have a non-turbo 2001 Passat 2.0 I bought 3 years ago and petrol pump ceased operations this morning in the middle of rush hour traffic!!

But its a much older car that the 06 and 07s talked about here, but here's the kicker, I was going to upgrade to a 06 but now I'm having doubts about getting another Passat!

Maybe an Audi A4 next time....?

Read the above and realised I'm in the same boat.

Stalled at 8:30am with all of galway commuters up me tail.
    dropped it in to main dealer as I read that its a recall(and it IS !!) and its easier to deal with main dealer.

I heard back from the garage and they said VW would cover 70% of cost. I said I wasn't happy and wanted 100%. Waiting to hear back.

It a definate recall alright, in USA they replace'em but here its 'let paddy stall and we'll challenge them all'

will let ye know how it goes....would like to hear how people got re-imbursed for this??

Read the above and realised I'm in the same boat.

Stalled at 8:30am with all of galway commuters up me tail.
    dropped it in to main dealer as I read that its a recall(and it IS !!) and its easier to deal with main dealer.

I heard back from the garage and they said VW would cover 70% of cost. I said I wasn't happy and wanted 100%. Waiting to hear back.

It a definate recall alright, in USA they replace'em but here its 'let paddy stall and we'll challenge them all'

will let ye know how it goes....would like to hear how people got re-imbursed for this??

I'm surprised that you didn't get a letter from VW before this? Is it an Irish car?

I'm surprised that you didn't get a letter from VW before this? Is it an Irish car?

I got the recall letter last year, it was checked feb 2009 and I was told it didn't need changing.

From the symptoms (chuckin under pressure, cut out and stall) and online I would be confident it is the the pre-delivery pump.
    Its an irish car.

I'm still waiting now on VW Dublin to get back to local dealer...

I got the recall letter last year, it was checked feb 2009 and I was told it didn't need changing.

From the symptoms (chuckin under pressure, cut out and stall) and online I would be confident it is the the pre-delivery pump.
    Its an irish car.

I'm still waiting now on VW Dublin to get back to local dealer...

I'd say they will have to change it if it should have been done under warranty back in Feb?

• Advertisement

I'd say they will have to change it if it should have been done under warranty back in Feb?

Got them to cover the pump cost 100% and they said it'll cost me 100euro for the diagnostic and fitting cost.
    Which seems steep??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They were supposed to change them when recalled and not simply inspect them. Yours has failed now only further provong the point that it should have been changed them. Tell them you are paying nothing. Ask them why it wasnt changed under recall. Tell them you are going to call vw ireland to see what the story was re the recall. They may back down very fast if for example they billed vw for the recall pump replacement on your car previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Princess_ash

Exact same thing happened me!
    my 04 passat cut out in rush hour traffic there few weeks ago not good!!

got the fuel pump in the fuel tank replaced but its still not starting properly (taking aages to start in the morning especially) The lad in garage thinks it could be the high pressure pump in the front of the engine that's causing the problem.

Just wondering is it the pump in the fuel tank that everyone else has being having problems with?
    Anyone else having this problem even after they got the fuel pump replaced?
    Also my car is second hand and I have no warranty should the VW cover the cost of the fuel pump I'd put in??

Any advice/comments appreciated!:)

If this is happening whilst the car is running at normal temp it may be other problem. 04 is b5 model and doesn't have history of fuel pump problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Princess_ash

bbability wrote: »
    If this is happening whilst the car is running at normal temp it may be other problem. 04 is b5 model and doesn't have history of fuel pump problems.

Thanks for that! was driving car for about 10 minutes before it cut out..think it is worthwhile gettin pressure pump in engine replaced?
    Just don't want to get new one if it's going to solve the problem!

Car's being in garage few weeks now and can't find the problem.

Have had some wire in engine that broke replaced, sensor re fuel temp replaced and fuel pump in fuel tank replaced and still not fixed!:mad:
    No faults showing on computer either.:confused:

Any help appreciated!
    Apologies if going off thread:D

Sounds to me like u have a faulty crank shaft position sensor. If this problem only occurs when engine is warm/hot it could be this. Generally it does not give a fault code although it's meant to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Are vw still fixing these pumps under warranty.

Yip got mine done last year under warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

think they might laugh at an 08 passat td with suspected pump failure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Could this happen an audi as they have the same engine as the passat?

• Advertisement
Advertisement