Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

junior cert to leaving cert

Options
  • 12-09-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

these are a the subjects i will be doing for my leaving cert in 2011

english
    irish
    maths
    german
    geography
    construction
    design and communication graphics (tg)
    lcvp

as of now they are all higher level

in my jc i got:

english C
    irish C
    maths B
    german D
    geography B
    wood A
    tg A

is the lc a big step up from the jc?

anybody that has got around the same scores in jc and have done their lc can you tell me how it went.

i am appealling my english exam as i got an a in my moc and feel i should have got higher has anyone of you ever got a c in jc and go on to get an a or b in lc. im willing to put my head down and work hard for 3 straight years to achieve what i want as, i am aiming for 500 points just so ye all know.

so is it a big step up.

are constr. and tg hard in lc???

cheers rob:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Well yes, JC to LC is a big jump. But you have 3 years to make that jump so don't worry about it.
    With your JC results you should be fine. (Although perhaps German and Irish could be improved a little if you're aiming for high points)
    Don't know anything about LC German, Construction or Tech Drawing because I didn't do any of 'em. But Geography should be okay for you - it's generally considered one of the "easier" LC subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,500 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you're doing higher level Maths than that's a massive jump right there. You've really got to be on the ball from day 1.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Biggest jump is Irish I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,500 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Biggest jump is Irish I think.

Possibly - I never bothered with it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sharona!!!

yea hons maths for leaving cert is really hard, you really do need to focus cause theres so much aswell. i got a b in jc and then failed most of 5thyr and 6th yr maths test then came out with an honour in the leaving ( after cramming a lot ). so i say stick with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I dunno, I didn't find it a huge jump, but I did TY so I'd sorta forgotten about what standard the JC exam was :pac:

The difference between the actual JC and LC papers is huge, but you don't really notice the difference as you're working towards your LC over the course of two years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The old rule of thumb used to be that presuming a person hadn't made a bags of the JC, the prediction would be to maintain the grade and level to LC and to come up a grade within the same level was considered doing very well.

To move to higher level in a subject in the LC following an ordinary level JC was unheard of - I suspect it's still fairly rare now.

That was before TY and extensive use of grinds, learning off essays etc., but as a rough guide, in my experience the old rule of thumb still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

spurious wrote: »
    The old rule of thumb used to be that presuming a person hadn't made a bags of the JC, the prediction would be to maintain the grade and level to LC and to come up a grade within the same level was considered doing very well.

To move to higher level in a subject in the LC following an ordinary level JC was unheard of - I suspect it's still fairly rare now.

That was before TY and extensive use of grinds, learning off essays etc., but as a rough guide, in my experience the old rule of thumb still stands.

I got a B in ordinary level junior cert irish, moved to higher, and am now averging a B3 in the higher exams, never got a grind in any subject and tbh, havnt pumped too much work into irish! Just needs a bi of determination, want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

spurious wrote: »

A girl in my year got a C in OL English at Junior Cert. She did HL English for the L.Cert and passed it.

So while moving up a level is unusual, it can defintely be done if you're determined enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Eternaldream

i did ordinary level german for my JC, and got an A1... i'm now in honours as i really did think i was able for honours for JC, but i went against it as i was really nervous since i had tought myself german... now i'm in a german honours class!

finding a bit hard to keep up with the rest of the class but if i work hard, i think it'll be ok...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I was a pretty average(maybe even below average) student.
    In particular in the JC I got a C in H Maths and an E in pass Irish.
    In the LC I got a B in H.Maths and and a C in Irish.

The difference was in 5th/6th year was that I found that I enjoyed Maths.
    For Irish the teacher made the difference. Had a guy that was too easy going for JC. He was from Kerry, so we wasted many a class discussing the counties performance after the weekend game. The teacher we had for LC was far tougher and I had to put some work in and even started to enjoy it some!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

RHunce wrote: »
    these are a the subjects i will be doing for my leaving cert in 2011

Your doing TY right does that mean you are defnitely doing those subjects? because in our school you dont choose them untill the end of TY, as you dont seem to do much in TY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Cian92 wrote: »
    Your doing TY right does that mean you are defnitely doing those subjects? because in our school you dont choose them untill the end of TY, as you dont seem to do much in TY

in our school its not called ty they call it 4th year because its as acedemic as all the other years. these are our fixed subjects for our next 3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

RHunce wrote: »
    in our school its not called ty they call it 4th year because its as acedemic as all the other years. these are our fixed subjects for our next 3 years

They're not allowed to do that, are they?

Anyway, the subjects I do that are on your list, these are all higher level btw.

Maths: Big big jump. You need to be working from day one. It's very very difficult. I got a B in JC HL and I'm struggling with certain parts of the course at the moment.

Irish: It's a big enough jump. I'd advise you to go to a Gaeltacht at the end of this year and next in order to brush up on your Irish. There's a bit of learning as well. However the paper seems to be getting easier and easier. According to the marking scheme they seem to be very rewarding with marks. It's the same with the Oral as well

English: Only real difference is that there is a lot, and I mean a lot, more learning involved in HL English then in Junior Cert. You've to learn 6 poets. You can learn only one if you want, but 4 out of the 8 provided come up on the exam so by learning 6 you'll be guarenteed at least 2 will come up. You've to learn a play inside out (quotes, references, themes, imagery).

German: I'm in your position. D in JC HL to LC HL. If your German is poor get grinds straight away. They'll help you a hell of a lot. I've gotten them since halfway through TY because I wanted a head start. I'm at borderline C1/B3 level and that's before taking the Oral into account. The Oral is fine as well as long as you learn your stuff.

Geography: Very easy. Just loads upon loads more detail.

Advertisement