Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian comedian faces "Fascist" prosecution for mocking the Pope

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I wonder what would happen if we said Brown Cowen is a wan-ker.

Hears distant sirens and jumps out window http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120660/ Enemy of the state style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

CDfm wrote: »
    You dont promote rape - not even as a joke

Reminds of the sketch in "The Onion movie" when they replaced the murder in a game of cluedo with rape. The girl there had a problem with it being rape but no problem with a game where they acted out murder. I guess they where trying to highlight the absurdity that people have such a problem with a statement like "I'll rape you" but not with a statement like "I'll kill you" which should be a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Reminds of the sketch in "The Onion movie" when they replaced the murder in a game of cluedo with rape. The girl there had a problem with it being rape but no problem with a game where they acted out murder. I guess they where trying to highlight the absurdity that people have such a problem with a statement like "I'll rape you" but not with a statement like "I'll kill you" which should be a lot worse.
    I wonder if the brazen hussey would think it was funny if the punishment was to send her to a poor clares convent for a year.

Do we taunt Fine Gael Supporters of their political past?

I agree with the posters that fascist as a description of the Treaty is totally wrong in this context.The conclusion of the Treaty was regularising relations with the Vatican between the wars and subsequent Italian Governments have not sought to vary it.

But in the context of satire and comedy I think it sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

MrPudding wrote: »
    Please stay where you are Zillah. I have reported you to the Italian authorities and an Italian / Vatican strike force of elite storm troopers in on their way.

I've taken out elite Vatican strike teams before and I can do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Do we taunt Fine Gael Supporters of their political past?

YES!! we do... Every chance we get!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'm shocked and surprised...but I really shouldn't be. This is from a country that ruled it was ok for a Muslim man to tie his daughter to a chair and beat her but it was not for any other denonmination.

Remember, if you ever want to engage in legal non-consentual S&M with your underage daughter, go to Italy and convert to Islam.

Source: http://islamineurope.blogspot.com/2007/08/italy-court-discriminates-against.html

This aint nice and is uncondoneable - but its nothing to do with the thread

I'm shocked and surprised...but I really shouldn't be. This is from a country that ruled it was ok for a Muslim man to tie his daughter to a chair and beat her but it was not for any other denonmination.

Remember, if you ever want to engage in legal non-consentual S&M with your underage daughter, go to Italy and convert to Islam.

Source: http://islamineurope.blogspot.com/2007/08/italy-court-discriminates-against.html

This is truly awful.

I envisage a world where all men whether Atheist, Christian, Muslim or Jew, can tie their daughters to a chair and beat them without consequences.
    This aint nice and is uncondoneable - but its nothing to do with the thread

The thread is about how crappy Italy is what with the pandering to religious values.

i have a daughter and i couldnt imagine that - to beat someone to the point of suicide was my point- i could never raise a hand to my daughter

i thought the post related to the pope and prosecution

didnt realise it was broader issues :confused:

• Advertisement

Threads wander as they please, like doctrine through the ages.

well Im in

Italian law is crazy on this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

i thought the post related to the pope and prosecution

didnt realise it was broader issues :confused:
    It's all one big conspiracy remember!

That, and slack moderation. :D

Dades wrote: »
    It's all one big conspiracy remember!

That, and slack moderation. :D

Do I understand you correctly.

Tie Sabba Guzzanti to a chair :eek:

Naughty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

kmick wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if we said Brown Cowen is a wan-ker.

Well, everyone calls him Biffo - which is an interesting acronym.

I don't see that saying, "Let's all rape the Pope" can be construed as humour. Never mind blasphemy, I think unfunny so-called 'comedians' should be sent to prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The mind boggles.

Im not surprised. I mean the Catholic Empire...,er I mean Church, was always a facist regime.

Im not surprised. I mean the Catholic Empire...,er I mean Church, was always a facist regime.

Interesting use of fascism - the Catholic Church God doesnt do democracy

What surprises you - that someone should be prosecuted for inciting raping the pope or indeed raping anyone? Surely you are not supporting that because that is what the prosecution is about?

Ah no Dougal.Facists walk around dressed in black and telling people what to do. While priests..........More Drink!! Lol!

Ah no Dougal.Facists walk around dressed in black and telling people what to do. While priests..........More Drink!! Lol!

I will reiterate it for you - are you supporting raping the pope? Thats the issue here forget everything else and answer the question.

Interesting use of fascism - the Catholic Church God doesnt do democracy

What surprises you - that someone should be prosecuted for inciting raping the pope or indeed raping anyone? Surely you are not supporting that because that is what the prosecution is about?

You just commited a logical fallacy. The comedian, when referring to the Pope being sodomised by Devils meant it as a joke. You said it was an incitement to rape. Thats called a Strawman Arguement.
    Obviously I find rape abhorrent. However I'm not adverse to laughing at religious bigots when they get the piss taken out of them!

• Advertisement

I will reiterate it for you - are you supporting raping the pope? Thats the issue here forget everything else and answer the question.

I won't dignify that post with a response....oh wait I have.lol! Anyway, I've already answered that question indirectly when I pointed out your Strawman argument.

You just commited a logical fallacy. The comedian, when referring to the Pope being sodomised by Devils meant it as a joke. You said it was an incitement to rape. Thats called a Strawman Arguement.
    Obviously I find rape abhorrent. However I'm not adverse to laughing at religious bigots when they get the piss taken out of them!
    So we have established that you are against rape however your sophisticated sence of humour does not translate when this event gets publicised in the popular press- the message is Rape the Pope

Are you anti-catholic and what aspects of the catholic church offends you .

Take your time -its a serious question.

So we have established that you are against rape. Are you anti-catholic and what aspects of the catholic church offends you . Take your time -its a serious question.

I am against all organised religion as I see it as a mass delusion.
    Here is what I find wrong with the Catholic church.
    1; Turned Ireland into a virtual theocracy for sixty years
    2;Discourages the use of condoms in aids ridden Africa
    3;Indoctrinates children with there superstitious B.S.
    4; Won't allow women to become priests.
    5; Covered up the rape of little children so they did'nt have to payout compensation money
    6;Homophobic
    7; Enforced celebacy for those who joins the preisthood ect.
    8;Telling little children they will burn forever if they do not conform to the Catholic ethos...actually thats a form of child abuse, in the psychological sense.

I could list much more but I think eight is enough.

the message is Rape the Pope

Oh come on CDFM it was a joke what sort of idiot could interpret it as a literal encouragment to rape an eighty odd year old pontiff?

Oh come on CDFM it was a joke what sort of idiot could interpret it as a literal encouragment to rape an eighty odd year old pontiff?

But Political satire in this context is Political with a huge P - in an Italian context where you have judges and politicians assasinated you are dealing in a different environment.

Do you remember the kidnap and murder of Aldo Moro the former Italian Premier by the Red Brigade - the shooting of John Paul II in Spain.These incidents are not that long ago.

Viewed in this context it is seditious and given that the person Sabba Guzzanti is the daughter of a long standing Italian politican it cant really be argued that she was naive and unaware of the context of her performance or the strenght of feeling of a religous and secular nature that would occur.

So when you say idiot you judge people by your own standards not the standards and beliefs of others. Charles Manson took a Beatle song as a message. So you view these things with view to the lowest common denominator and avoid extremes of metaphor that could give nutcases ideas.

The reason we dont do and say these things is because of their very nature they are seditious and wrong.

No really, we should rape the Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

So we have established that you are against rape however your sophisticated sence of humour does not translate when this event gets publicised in the popular press- the message is Rape the Pope
    Lets look at the relevant part of the article again....
    “Within twenty years the Pope will be where he ought to be, in Hell, tormented by great big poofter devils — and very active ones, not passive ones," she said.
    OK, she is talking about the pope being in hell and being tormented by devils. This is obviously a joke. For one, he is the pope. Now whilst some people, myself included, think he is a nasty nasty bastard and would almost believe in god if I thought it meant he would go to hell, I think it is fairly safe to assume you believe he will not go to hell. Now to take this as incitement to rape requires some pretty amazing mental gymnastics. Do you tihnk the the devils in hell have read the article and are now thinking, "fcuking hell, I never thought of that. I hope he ends up down here...."

That said, given the rubbish that you appear to believe, it seems that mental gymnastics are your forte.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The reason we dont do and say these things is because of their very nature they are seditious and wrong.
    Except of course, most christians already think that us atheists are hell-bound, and not to enjoy some hot'n'heavy demon luvvin', but to spend an infinite amount of time partially submerged in a lake of burning sulfur. Hell, some chrisitians even say that to us here on boards.ie :)

Compared with the one sentence that Guzzanti produced about Ratzinger, and the tiny -- probably zero -- number of people who believe her, the beliefs of the average christian about the average atheist are far nastier, far more voluminous and vastly more widely believed.

If anything, she should be up for copyright violation and not sedition.

Yeah Mr P.

So the Pope goes on a big Church clean up and closes down a seminary run by predatory priests targeting students for homosexual sex and you think this is wrong.Tells the church worldwide to clean up its act and takes a strong line on child abuse and is not afraid to act.

I thought you would agree with all that.

So you have a teeny bit of a difference with the Catholic church over its teachings on moral matters - thats a matter of docterine - but nobody is forcing you how to live.It gives lifestyle guidance to Catholics but its not law.It doesnt fit with your libertine philosophy.

I could be very flippant and quote Nietzsche but will point out that one of his seminal works is a book called " The Gay Science". A bit of gratuitous mental gymnastics there and how appropriate.But he(Nietzsche) would say you are rebeling against the whole social construct - God, Allah, Darwin and natural selection,feminism, evolution, Playboy magazine MTV and a dirty old greyhound dog.

Your problems not with the Pope or the Italians fellah- its with the whole world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yeah Mr P.

So the Pope goes on a big Church clean up and closes down a seminary run by predatory priests targeting students for homosexual sex and you think this is wrong.
    I am not sure where I said these things were wrong. I eagerly await you pointing out where I did.
    Tells the church worldwide to clean up its act and takes a strong line on child abuse and is not afraid to act.

I thought you would agree with all that.
    Yeah, OK. So he tells his employees to stop raping kids and I am supposed to think he is someone special?
    So you have a teeny bit of a difference with the Catholic church over its teachings on moral matters - thats a matter of docterine - but nobody is forcing you how to live.It gives lifestyle guidance to Catholics but its not law.It doesnt fit with your libertine philosophy.
    Note quite a teeny thing. The moral matters are one thing. Effectively sentencing people to death by telling them they are not allowed to use condoms is something else. And I am sorry but I make no distinction between doctrine, papal infallibility or the man himself. As far as I am concerned the whole thing is bullsh1t, there is no god, therefore there is no papal infallibility. Therefore all you are left with is a silly little man making statements that marginalise people because of their sexual preference and kill people because they are told it is wrong to protect themselves.
    I could be very flippant and quote Nietzsche but will point out that one of his seminal works is a book called " The Gay Science".
    Wow, I am really amazed. You have read Nietzsche, you are my hero. I bow down before you ninja reading skills.
    A bit of gratuitous mental gymnastics there and how appropriate.But he(Nietzsche) would say you are rebeling against the whole social construct - God, Allah, Darwin and natural selection,feminism, evolution, Playboy magazine MTV and a dirty old greyhound dog.
    What ever you say.
    Your problems not with the Pope or the Italians fellah- its with the whole world.
    I have no problem with the world, none whatsoever. I have no problem with society and try to keep my rebellion to an absolute minimum.

MrP

Advertisement