Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

american phones

• 13-09-2008 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone has had any experience with american phones and using them here???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

yes, unlocked american gsm phones will work here provided they are tri or quad band. us tri bands are 850/1800/1900 and eu ones are 900/1800/1900.

i cant remember what the popular bands are here, but i think 900 is the least used. i could be wrong though.

some other american phone networks operate with a "simless" method that i know little about, but these phones wont work of course.

so, if you're bringing back a us phone make sure its 1. gsm and 2. at best triband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

hmm, yeah, we ue 900/1800 i think,
    i know there are some phones that are patented by networks, do you think these are the "simless" ones?

i dont know what you mean by patented. but it could refer to simless. afaik the sprint network on the east cost is one of these. so avoid those phones.

like, , this is purely to explain what i mean ..imagine if nokia develope the 7263 then meteor decide, oh we want that phone to be used just for us, they buy then copyright, ownership, everything, but nokia still make it, but not sim free or anything like that, just for meteor...hope you understand

it sounds like you're referring to a simlocked phone.

see here for more info

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

see here for more info

Ehhh... Not at all. Metalfest is refering to a phone such as the 6234 on vodafone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

see here for more info

And i think the simless phones you are refering you are CDMA phones.

i'm just wondering because i'm looking into getting a phone from the states...
    preferably a htc, or a phone that slides like it..

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Ehhh... Not at all. Metalfest is refering to a phone such as the 6234 on vodafone.

Ah an exclusive. ok. but he could easily have been describing a simlocked phone too.

Advertisement