Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kittens coming aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Options
  • 13-09-2008 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

So my cat is all big and twice her size, I can feel the kitties kicking! i'm sure they will be here in around 3 weeks. maybe less.
    I am scared!! because my landlord doesn't allow animals (i know thats a bit immature but i'm an animal lover who rescued these animals from harm), not that he'd know i'd have say 8 cats in the house :eek::eek::confused::eek::eek: in 3 weeks but i just wanted to ask people who have ever had a cat and her litter...
    how long did it take YOU to find good, suitable homes for the kittens?
    i'm sure i'll have no problem as i live in the city but i guess i'm a lil anxious!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

First of let me get this of my chest neuter, neuter and neuter some more. With 8 cats you are looking at min. three kittens to every queen if you do not neuter.

If you are stuck money wise to neuter after all you do have 8 you can try cat protection, cat aid and the blue cross to help you out.

Ok with that said if she is as big as you say and you can feel them moving around I don't think you will be waiting to long to see the new kittens sounds like she's far along and to far gone to abort and neuter so make sure you give her as high a quality food as possible and as much as she wants.

If all females have a bun in the oven focus on geting the males sorted first and put money in the vets each week to get the females neutered six weeks after the kittens are born, if any of the females don't look pregnant get them done first.

Your best bet is to leave massages at near by vets two weeks before they are ready to go, and they shouldn't go until they are at leased eight weeks old. There is no time limit I'm afraid you either get lucky with homes or you don't, you should also have a list writen out to ask people if they are looking to rehome them,like weather they will be indoors or out and if any of the nieghbours have dogs that might eat them, what vets they will use etc.

Good on you for rescuing them but please neuter before you are over run with them. Good luck with the rest.

If your really stuck for anything pm me and I will see if I can be of any help to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

You need to get the mother cat spayed as soon as her kittens are old enough to be weaned (about 6 or 8 wks)

Unless you can keep the kittens until they are 4 months old and get them neutered/spayed yourself, you need to get any adopters to sign an agreement saying that they will spay/neuter their kitten(s) when they are 4 months old. This is to make sure any kittens you re home don't go on to add to the overpopulation themselves.

Ideally you should have spayed her asap (i.e. aborting the kittens) but it's too late for that now by the sounds of things.

as for finding good homes, try advertising the kittens on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com you should also visit any potential adopters home to make sure it is suitable for a kitten or sometimes if there is someone interested in adopting but they are too far for you to travel to home check them there may be a volunteer in that area who can do it on your behalf.

Good Luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I was thinking of taking picture's of the kittens and putting them up around supermarkets, vets, maxi zoo and other pet shops.
    when i got the queen, the then owner said she was neutered and had injections but i guess i was a bit naive to have believed that. oh well.

also thanks for the link, home-checking was out of the question but i can now ring cat-shelter's and ask them to home-check for me first before any kittens go! cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Lets know when the kittie's come I'm sucker for kittie photo's.

• Advertisement

4 kitties so far 3 black and white..one looks like its got a head of hair with a fringe!looks so funny!the other one is tabby black with white underneath and paws. so cute, i thnk she may have one more in her tummy so will have to wait for that one.
    As soon as i got in the door,the mother came in and tried to hide in a box I put under the sofa so I knew then that she was in labour.
    so I put her in her cat carrier and she popped two out straight away! i was a tad concerned as she looked like she was struggling but she is got there in the end,bless her.
    her boyfriend was sitting on my roof during the day today and yesterday so maybe he knew!its amazing.
    my other cat ginge keeps trying to see whats going on and he got into the carrier and licked the mother cat and then tried to sleep in there!

So i can get the mother cat neutered when the kittens are 8 weeks?is that correct?
    kittens ready in exactly 8 weeks. put your orders in now :D:D:D
    GOOD HOMES ONLY

photo's coming shortly after she cleans them up and they dont look like rats!lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Bring em on thats what I like about this forum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

It's good that she didn't experience any difficulties. Would it be possible to catch the Tom and get him neutered as well? To prevent him breeding with any other unspayed cats.....the vet would probably do it at a discounted rate if he is a stray.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Well done mum! Ok, she's going to need more space than a carrier. She'll need to be able to lie comfortably in order to feed them & given experience, unless it's a big carrier, she won't have the room with 4 babies. You really need to keep the other cat out for now. There will be plenty of time for all of that later. Right now she just needs to be comfy & feel secure with her new family. That means her own space, a litter tray in it but not too near the kitties & as much food as she can eat.
    I wouldn't go taking photos yet, it might stress her, just let them be. Plus it's dark, the flash could do a lot of harm.
    I know it's very exciting & you want to share it all, but right now, it's mum & kittens that matter, not us. Let her get used to being a mum, we can wait!

• Advertisement

no worries, this mum has everything a queen could ask for!
    the carrier is for two full grown cats so its quite big.
    can't take photo's cos my phone camera (has no flash) is quite crap so wait a few days and il show ye!
    she's eating like a horse! so proud of her!

i had a brainwave, when i find suitable people to adopt kittens im going to put a coupon for them to get neutered! i think its a brill idea and more people should do it!

...as for the tom cat... it wasn't the male cat i thought it was.
    it could be 3 males that got her so i'm not sure about that one. but there are so so many male cats around here not neutered its a joke.
    im lucky it was only 4 she had!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

hi miss shadow,
    i'm currently looking for a kitten, have wanted one for years so have done all my research & have a bed, toys, litter box, carrier etc. everything ready! would be a very loving safe indoor home :) so if they haven't all been 'booked' yet i'll check back here when they're ready to rehomed, if i have not found one by then. am in bray so can collect anywhere in dublin.

so 4 weeks on and i they have just started to venture out of the nest, my male teen cat was on babysitting duty!!hehe

look at the pics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Aw bless, they are sooo gorgeus, the 3rd kitty looks like a little tom kitten I had here before. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

so 4 weeks on and i they have just started to venture out of the nest, my male teen cat was on babysitting duty!!hehe

look at the pics :D

Oh they are so CUTE!
    Hope you find good homes for them all soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not all cat owners will neuter the cat even with a voucher, happens all the time, they forget or just don't bother or leave it too late.

There are some vets that will do early spays on kittens, this has been done for many years in the US and is done by some vets in Ireland as long as the kitten is in good health there is no more a risk than spaying an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There's a myth that you should let your female cat have one season before it's neutered. It makes no odds.

Some vets apparently won't neuter cats young because they maintain if you neuter them before they've had hormones in their system they stay small. One of my male cats was neutered at 12 weeks, the other at 14 weeks. The 14-week boy has grown into a 4.5kg cat, and the 12-week boy has grown into a 5.5kg cat. They're now just shy of two years old, and they've filled out nicely.

Our local cat rescue claims that every season a female cat has increases her chance of ovarian cancer. They neuter all kittens young - 12-15 weeks. The females at 12 weeks ideally, the males you may have to wait a bit if the testicles haven't dropped.

Advertisement